Model Cars Magazine Forum

1951 Henry J Sedan Delivery Gasser

Zippi

2 hours ago, David G. said:

What an awesome color!

It's perfect for a Sixties era gasser.

David G.

I appreciate it David but I'm not really sure what this one is going to be with the Big ole wheels & tires and oversized engine.  I guess it'll be in the eyes of the beholder.  

The weather was pretty decent this morning so I go after getting the clear (Tamiya X-22) on the ole Henry.  I got the garage up to 64° and that brought the humidity down to 44%.  3 coats letting it flash 10 min between coats.  Turned out pretty good.  

20240131_105648.jpg

20240131_105703.jpg

20240131_105712.jpg

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Rattlecan Dan said:

Boing! Knocks yer eyes out at first! I'm confident you'll make it cool as can be for what you call a goofy color.

Thank's man.  It's not really a Goofy color but a Goofy build.  Like the old MPC Zingers back in the day.

Well...wife and I got back from a ride in the 49 and I saw this.  This disaster started way back last year when I started this out with a 51 Henry J Sedan Delivery resin body.  That all went belly up so I turned my efforts towards the kit body and some left over wheels & tires and engine from an M2 kit.  Now this has went belly up.  Can't repaint as the glass has been install along with other parts glued on so I give up on this build as it has beat me down.  I am so disappointed in myself that I am taking a break for a while.       

20240202_135940.jpg

• Sad 1

What th'.... Feelin bad for ya man. Do you know the cause? I'm empathizing with you about the enough is enough feeling we sometimes wrestle with. You never know how or when ole Murphy's Law is gonna bite you. Your still working on that monster truck aren't you? Or maybe you need a little chill time. Don't forget you've got a whole forum of fans supporting you.

Holy cow Bob, what a tremendously unfortunate turn!

I sure can understand your need to step back for a while, I've had to walk away a number of times myself. Sometimes it's the better choice to make.

You do some really great work Bob so try not to let this one bad break hang with you for too long. I have a saying for times like this:

"Each kit I build is really only practice for the next one!"

It's got me through some rough builds. And of course there are some builds that I just never went back to - as least not yet.

David G.

Hang in there. There are some models that just don't want to be built. You've managed to overcome challenges in the past however a double whammy really sucks the wind out of your sails.

Hopefully you will get back on the horse soon. I always enjoy following your projects.

A thought how about putting a graphic or lettering over the area after you smooth the service. Wouldn't fix it completely but it will minimize the issue.

Edited by bobthehobbyguy

17 hours ago, Rattlecan Dan said:

What th'.... Feelin bad for ya man. Do you know the cause? I'm empathizing with you about the enough is enough feeling we sometimes wrestle with. You never know how or when ole Murphy's Law is gonna bite you. Your still working on that monster truck aren't you? Or maybe you need a little chill time. Don't forget you've got a whole forum of fans supporting you.

I had some glue on a paper towel and I sat the model right down on it and didn't know.  Yup, Monster truck is still a go.  I finished it just so I could get it out of the way.

8 hours ago, David G. said:

Holy cow Bob, what a tremendously unfortunate turn!

I sure can understand your need to step back for a while, I've had to walk away a number of times myself. Sometimes it's the better choice to make.

You do some really great work Bob so try not to let this one bad break hang with you for too long. I have a saying for times like this:

"Each kit I build is really only practice for the next one!"

It's got me through some rough builds. And of course there are some builds that I just never went back to - as least not yet.

David G.

Thanks David.  I just go so discouraged with this build that I let it get the best of me.  I wanted this one done so I went ahead and finished it up today.

54 minutes ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Hang in there. There are some models that just don't want to be built. You've managed to overcome challenges in the past however a double whammy really sucks the wind out of your sails.

Hopefully you will get back on the horse soon. I always enjoy following your projects.

A thought how about putting a graphic or lettering over the area after you smooth the service. Wouldn't fix it completely but it will minimize the issue.

Thanks.  Yup, both of these just did not want to go my way and I let it get in my head.  I took your advise and use some decals to try and hide my mistakes.  

I really do appreciate all the encouragement I've gotten from everyone on this forum and others.  If it was not for all the great support from everyone this one would have never seen the finish line.