Model Cars Magazine Forum

1951 Henry J Gasser

Zippi

This build was differently one of the most challenging and stressful builds I have had.  It all started out late last year when I purchased the 51 Henry J Sedan Delivery resin body from Jimmy Flintstone.  This was my first experience with a resin body and boy was I surprised at the work that was involved.  The kit hood never did match up to the resin body but I was working around it.  After I got some paint on the body I forgot about it being resin and put it in my Dehydrator for less than 10 min before I realized I had messed up.  Yup, it warped the body really bad.  I moved on to the kit body and decided to use the extra wheels & tires and engine from an M2 kit I picked up at HL.  I decided to just make this a quick and easy build with no undercarriage so it's basically a semi curbside.  I decided to go with the Tamiya Candy Lime Green Lacquer.  Everything was going fine until I laid the body down a paper towel that had glue on it and yup, there went the paint job.  I decided to use some decals to try and hide my screw up.  This is not a quality build and I was somewhat disappointed in myself but it is what it is I guess.   

WIP:  https://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/186730-1951-henry-j-sedan-delivery-gasser/

20240204_092522.jpg

20240204_092746.jpg

20240204_092818.jpg

20240204_092919.jpg

20240204_092930.jpg

20240203_140156.jpg

20240204_092949.jpg

20240203_140207.jpg

Edited by Zippi
  • Like 7

I know your story was not meant to be funny but I did get a kick out of the endless problems on this model. Your end result looks great to me. I really like it. Reminds me of the old Zinger models.

6 hours ago, TonyK said:

I know your story was not meant to be funny but I did get a kick out of the endless problems on this model. Your end result looks great to me. I really like it. Reminds me of the old Zinger models.

Thanks man.  Yeah, there was a problem or two.  That's what I had in mind when I did a mock-up of this little "Chunky" build.

6 hours ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Glad to see you persevered and dragged it over the finish line. Definitely a candidate for modelers hades.

Hopefully the modeling gods will treat you nicer on the next build.

I appreciate it man.  Yeah, and as I was dragging it over the finish line it still kept throwing the anchor out.  Well, I'm hoping for the best and expecting the worst on the next build.

5 hours ago, Rattlecan Dan said:

Well, you've done it again. Made that Goofy little car look cool. Got back on that horse and rode it through. I'm proud of ya. It's preposterous! But I like it.

Haha....well, my little "Chunky" goofy build finally fell across the finish line.  I'm just glad this nightmare is over.  Thanks man.

3 hours ago, espo said:

Great looking color and finish. The decal almost covers the passenger door issue, most might not even notice if they hadn't followed your build.  

I appreciate ya man.  I tried my best to cover up my screw up.  It will be in a case with that side facing the wall.

1 hour ago, Yeah Nah said:

In spite of your trials, tribulations and punch-the-wall frustrations Bob you ended up with a model that looks pretty darn cool. 

Much obliged Buddy.  I think I gave this one 200% worth of effort and ended up with about 75%.  

56 minutes ago, dragcarz said:

Looks good to me Bob, someone said you can’t look at both sides at the same time. I’m glad you finished it!

Much appreciated Roger.  You are correct Sir.  

20 minutes ago, Scott Eriksen said:

Looks fine to me........ I've had my share of problems (of my own making)with resin too!!!....lol 

Thanks.  I hear ya about the resin.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PappyD340 said:

Regardless the issues the end result is pretty darn COOL, well done!

Much appreciated Pappy.  I think it turned out not to bad for a total mess.  Thanks for the nice comment.

On 2/10/2024 at 6:57 AM, David G. said:

I followed your WIP on this one. It fought you every step of the way and you fought back until you won.

Well done Bob! The end result looks fabulous and is well worth the effort you put into it.

David G.

I do appreciate it David.  Yeah, this one was a fighter.

On 2/10/2024 at 7:23 AM, Gary Chastain said:

I also kept following your build, well done and it is such a cool looking build. 

Much appreciated.  I like how it turned out.

• 2 weeks later...