Model Cars Magazine Forum

1951 Henry J Sedan Delivery Gasser

Zippi

5 hours ago, redscampi said:

That's a real shame. Maybe the body is worth using in a junkyard diorama?

The body is toast.  Not worth using anymore.

2 hours ago, David G. said:

That's a shame Bob.

Maybe you could make it work as a barn find or junker diorama?

David G.

The body is totally warped out of shape.  Doesn't look like a body anymore.

1 hour ago, ksnow said:

Dang, that's a kick in the jimmies for sure.

It sure is man.  I put a lot of time in on this one.

On 1/11/2024 at 3:01 PM, Zippi said:

*** Update ***

Due to major warping issue with the body this build has been abandoned.  

Dang, that sucks Bob!  I was really looking forward to this one.  Well, we've all been there.  I have several in boxes that I know I will never try to rescue (but yet I keep them!).  I'm sure your next build will make up for this one.

I think I'm moving forward and going to now work on the 51 Henry J kit body.  Since I had to shorten the chassis 1/8" for the Sedan Delivery it is now to short for the kit body.  I put a piece of flat stock in the floor to hold the seats and a piece of square stock to support the rear axle.  This will be a "Goofy" build.  I've drilled the valve covers for plug wire and made up a distributor.  The dash and seats are from the junkyard.  

20240113_103102.jpg

20240113_103112.jpg

20240113_104005.jpg

20240113_104033.jpg

20240113_112404.jpg

20240113_112417.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bluestringer said:

Too bad about the resin body. But I like the goofy build Bob. Find a rat fink to put on it.

Thanks man.  Yeah. Maybe a little stuffed critter I can stuff inside.

Well fellows....we have been in the deep freeze with temperatures in the single digits for the past few days and the wind has been terrible with gust up to 60 mph sending the temperature down in the negitive.  So, I have not been out in the garage at the bench for the past 3 days and won't be until this cold snap ends.  My little ole garage heater would struggle to get the garage up to 40° at these temperatures so my butt is staying in the house.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, David G. said:

No matter what out get out of this mess, I'm sure it will be cool Bob.

Stay warm!

David G.

David,

Your right man....it's a mess for sure.  There is no decent weather coming to get any painting done.  3° this morning and when it does warm up it nothing but rain.  Come on Spring 😋

• Like 1

I finally made it out to the garage for some bench time but I won't be out here long.  I got the garage up to 51° but it's just to cold to enjoy it.  But, I did get a little done.  Since this is going to be a goofy build I drilled holes for the spark plug wire and the exhaust pipes in the hood.  I cut some 3/16" X .014" brass tub about 3/16" long and glued them into some small plastic squares I cut.  These will be glued to the underside of the hood once all the painting is done.

20240121_105451.jpg

20240121_111956.jpg

20240121_112258.jpg

20240121_120228.jpg

Edited by Zippi

Looks like you've come up with a good plan to salvage this project.

As far as resin bodies go you need to stay away from slush cast bodies. Bodies done with 2 part molds are much more stable. That was how Don Houlhaus did his bodies and I never heard of anyone complaining of warpage.

On 1/21/2024 at 12:36 PM, bobthehobbyguy said:

Looks like you've come up with a good plan to salvage this project.

As far as resin bodies go you need to stay away from slush cast bodies. Bodies done with 2 part molds are much more stable. That was how Don Houlhaus did his bodies and I never heard of anyone complaining of warpage.

Thanks.  Yeah, I have a plan.  I just need some nice weather so I can get some painting done.  

Finally after about 3 weeks I was able to get some painting done.  Since this is a "Goofy" build I thought I'd do a wild color.  Tamiya Lacquer Candy Lime Green.  I'll wet sand it a little and shoot the clear on tomorrow.  

20240129_112254.jpg

20240129_112301.jpg

Edited by Zippi
  • Like 5