Model Cars Magazine Forum

1930 Model A Five Window Coupe Full-Fendered B/G Project

tim boyd

Having read much of the MCM Forum posts in detail for over ten years now, my take is that many of you do not subscribe to or buy the Model Cars magazine.  So the following is for those of you who are in that category...

For much of 2023 my major modeling project has been building a period correct (early 1967- ish) 1930 Model A Full Fendered Gasser Coupe, that would have been largely inspired by (but not a copy of) the Harry Luzader '32 Ford Coupe Gasser (if you're not familiar with that one, look it up!).   Part of the plan was to find and use a Model A fender unit that fit the Revell body, along with a resin unchopped top....

The entire build process, beginning to end, is covered in a six-page article in the new (#222) issue of Model Cars magazine from our hosts on this forum.   Accordingly, it would not be cool (from the MCM Staff's point of view) to show the completed model here at this time, but I will share a few work-in-progress "outake" (unused in the actual article) photos from earlier this year....

First proof of concept mockup

image.png.88ab6d2f3d9ee062aa55ff3bc16ec4dd.png

Rough mockup after body and engine painted and final wheel/tire choice 

image.png.260f458fc8b89afaff8b78e82a8cd663.png

Chassis and suspension, prior to engine and driveline installation...

image.png.860c6003f895b163bd7f307747a3db45.png

You can see the final result on the cover (lower rh corner) and in the six-page article in the mag. 

image.png.34844b42c4f60b2d9c3da4c9c7d133f7.png

And if you'll indulge me for a moment in a bit of advice, the MCM staff, even more so over the last couple of years, has really done a great job in making Model Cars a magazine that any serious model builder should be reading.  So, I guess what I am saying is, respectfully, is that if you are not reading the mag, you are missing out on a bunch of very cool stuff (I am not referring to my own occasional contributions, but everything inside the covers).   

Thanks for checking this out...TIM 

UPDATE 12-12-23 & 12-15-23:  Scroll down on this forum page to see an update with a minor correction to the text in one of the magazine article images, as well as an extra image and caption that did not make the final cut in the article as presented in the magazine....thanks!  TB 

Edited by tim boyd
  • Like 8

30 minutes ago, tim boyd said:

many of you do not subscribe to or buy the Model Cars magazine

I quite like the magazine and buy every issue I can. Rather than subscribe I purchase at my local hobby store ( Always support your local Hobby store!) I have looked at the subscription rates and being in a foreign county ( Canada ) the subscription rate plus currency exchange exceeds the cost of the individual issue at the local hobby store. 

I do miss the days of having the choice of more than one car oriented model magazine. 

I was aware that you had this build in the current issue and am patiently waiting the chance to visit my local store to pick up my copy.

It is indeed a very nice gasser.

cheers, Graham 

Harry’s car has been on my list of builds and parts are acquired, but I keep getting interrupted by Stock Eliminator cars.  This is the man himself and his beautiful car.  Not to diminish your work, Tim.  You know how I feel about your contributions to modeling.  If this is inappropriate, please advise and I will, of course, remove this post.

2DC875AE-14B0-437E-88E4-F47F8C55271E.jpeg

63117FE1-17AD-4F4F-B353-3637C53701FC.jpeg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, R. Thorne said:

Harry’s car has been on my list of builds and parts are acquired, but I keep getting interrupted by Stock Eliminator cars.  This is the man himself and his beautiful car.  Not to diminish your work, Tim.  You know how I feel about your contributions to modeling.  If this is inappropriate, please advise and I will, of course, remove this post.

2DC875AE-14B0-437E-88E4-F47F8C55271E.jpeg

63117FE1-17AD-4F4F-B353-3637C53701FC.jpeg

Ron...this is completely appropriate to the subject and big thanks for posting....Best...TB 

• Like 1

I fell in love with this as soon as I saw the undersized front wheels hanging out of the front fenders - a look I have loved ever since I saw a black and white photo of an early Plymouth gasser styled street rod in a 1971  (I think) issue of Rod and Custom magazine. Will be following this veeeery closely - I have one Monogram and one Revell 30 coupe kit yet to start!

Cheers

Alan

• tim boyd changed the title to 1930 Model A 5wc Gasser Project - Update and a minor text correction

Thanks everyone for your enthusiastic comments and "likes". 

A couple of minor updates to the article as presented in the magazine:  

First, there is a minor correction to the text on the caption at the left center of page 17 of the article in issue #222 of Model Cars magazine.  At the end of the second sentence reference is made to a Watts linkage.  The application shown in the picture is not a Watts linkage, instead it is a simple sway bar.  The original text submission called it a sway bar but somehow during editing process the words were changed to Watts linkage. 

A Watts linkage provides a similar purpose - preventing the axle from swinging side to side - but is a more complicated design that is also more effective at doing its job.  You can see a proper Watts linkage on most of the various funny car model kits that replicate a first generation Logghe funny car chassis.  Minor point here, but there are some members of the MCM forum that highly value precise accuracy, and wanted to make sure this correction did not escape their - or your - attention.  

Second, as a contributor I have a feeling that I often drive my respective editors crazy with too much material that has to be cut back or deleted to meet the available magazine space (and most likely, the continued interest level of its readers(!)).  But for those with an extra in-depth interest in the subject presented here, note the image below and its associated caption which didn't make the final cut in the magazine coverage: 

image.png.77ac4dddf44e11263cbd7083e9ddc3c2.png 

"Many variations on this basic theme are to be encouraged.  (UPDATE #2 - The following has been revised based on Ron Thorne's research per his posts below ).  Most Gassers back in the day ran 1950s Oldsmobile or Pontiac differential/axle assemblies, and that is what is contained in the modern-era Revell 1941 Willys Gasser kits (and is what I used in my project).  Those desiring a more robust looking rear axle/differential unit can use the equivalent parts found in Revell's 1951 Anglia (as seen here) and the original (1963 tooling) Revell Stone Woods and Cook kits and its reissues.  Ron has identified this design as being an "HO 33 Eaton" component. 

AirHeart early style front disc brakes can be found in the AMT Piranha and Surf Woody kits and would be a correct high-buck setup for the era depicted by this project.  Suspension-wise, some builders used large rear coil springs with air bags instead of the more common quarter-elliptic leaf springs, the units shown here are from the modern AMT-Ertl kit of the Barris Ala-Kart."

Best,,,TIM 

Edited by tim boyd
  • Like 5

On 12/13/2023 at 11:43 AM, R. Thorne said:

On further investigation, the Revell Anglia kit comes with an HO style Eaton rear end (not Olds Pontiac), which, oddly enough, has a bolt on type inspection rear cover along with the removable front center section.  So, 2 sets of bolts on 1 rear end?!!  

This is really interesting; thanks for raising the question, and the follow-up info and picture, Ron.   

My understanding was always that the original Stone Woods &Cook Willys used a late 1950s Olds rear end.  This is confirmed in this excerpt from CarTech discussing the history of both of the SWC Willys of the 1960's... Drag Racing Warriors: Stone, Woods & Cook Willys (cartechbooks.com) .  It specifically identifies the Olds rear end in one sentence as of 1957 origin. 

Next, I checked both the Revell Anglia and Revell SW&C (1963 tooling) rear axles and they are essentially identical...likely certainly based on the same original wood pattern, but with tweaks for the slightly different rear suspension parts breakdown and narrower tread width of the Anglia.  The Miss Deal rear also looks the same but (and this is news to me) scaled slightly larger for some reason.  I also looked at the Revell 1950 Olds kit, which had an axle/diff that was not quite the same as the earlier mentioned kits, and the AMT/Ertl 1962 Pontiac kits; the latter looked more like the 1/1 scale image you posted above if I am remembering correctly (I was in a bit of a rush at the time).    

Still need to do some further research on this (somewhere in my files I have a reference of line drawings of popular rear ends from back in the day).  (BTW I am not a 1/1 scale automotive mechanic, so I am relying on others to have done their research appropriately here).

FWIW the AMT/Ertl 1957 Chevy Pickup and AMT/Ertl 1960 Pickups had somewhat similar appearing rear ends, I recall (I don't have the reference at hand right now) that the Harry Luzader car in its original form used a late 1950s Chevy pickup rear end; would be interesting to see if photo references of the real car look like those kit axles, yes?  

All this is to say that if...and that is a still a very big IF....the original Revell SW&C kit had an accurate rear axle/diff configuration representing a late 1950s Olds differential/axle, it should be a period correct Gasser correct application for model use as posted in my update photo and caption above.   But I emphasize IF as I am not knowledgeable enough on this to say "for certain".   I encourage any additional knowledge or comments from Forum members that can add to (or discredit) the info above. 

Ron, thanks for raising this subject and thanks again for your thanks for my contributions to the hobby.   Hope you get your copy of MCM soon and can check out the article in detail.  If you see any other article content that seems a bit questionable to you, please post it here.  We all learn from this.  And it's interesting, too!   

Very Best...TIM 

Edited by tim boyd
  • Like 3

Well, once I get going, it is hard for me to stop.  The 47?-56 Olds is smaller overall in dimensions and considerably weaker than the 57-64 Olds-Pontiac.  Luckily, I had some kits and built models to look at and it appears that Revell missed the boat on the 1963 Stone Woods & Cook and the Revell Skippers Critter kits as they have the HO33 Eaton rear in them.  I have included some of my models and kits pictures to elucidate this.  Close inspection of the rears (specifically the bolts, singular and plural) will help.  I have been accused of being too damned particular as they are “only models”.  Perhaps so, but, if I am going to do something, I am going to do it to the best of my knowledge.  I also find this interesting .

86A5E131-5647-470C-B49D-A1A24AF2D728.jpeg

997F8D7D-99C4-4324-9F42-3B1B123DEDB4.jpeg

FAA32C44-5DA9-4A2B-987E-C3047D6912DB.jpeg

9E86F6A3-3914-4C61-B246-202E809A8319.jpeg

8E2956EC-540E-459B-8D1E-30FEC84CCB20.jpeg

A5EB59AC-8650-4A50-AE89-199AE6CC222E.jpeg

• Like 2

18 hours ago, R. Thorne said:

Well, once I get going, it is hard for me to stop.  The 47?-56 Olds is smaller overall in dimensions and considerably weaker than the 57-64 Olds-Pontiac.  Luckily, I had some kits and built models to look at and it appears that Revell missed the boat on the 1963 Stone Woods & Cook and the Revell Skippers Critter kits as they have the HO33 Eaton rear in them.  I have included some of my models and kits pictures to elucidate this.  Close inspection of the rears (specifically the bolts, singular and plural) will help.  I have been accused of being too damned particular as they are “only models”.  Perhaps so, but, if I am going to do something, I am going to do it to the best of my knowledge.  I also find this interesting .

86A5E131-5647-470C-B49D-A1A24AF2D728.jpeg

997F8D7D-99C4-4324-9F42-3B1B123DEDB4.jpeg

FAA32C44-5DA9-4A2B-987E-C3047D6912DB.jpeg

9E86F6A3-3914-4C61-B246-202E809A8319.jpeg

8E2956EC-540E-459B-8D1E-30FEC84CCB20.jpeg

A5EB59AC-8650-4A50-AE89-199AE6CC222E.jpeg

Thanks for the additional info and backup, Ron.  My above referenced file on rear axles and diffs only had Mopar designs.  So having done further follow-up using research of 1/1 scale late 1950s to early 1960s Olds axle photography, I now agree with your conclusions.  I have updated/corrected the original photo/caption above to reflect your findings.  While I would challenge anyone to beat me on identifying 1960s muscle era V8s, I am nowhere near as savvy on rear axles, so your help on this is much appreciated.  

It is just fascinating to me how we are always finding out new things in this hobby, even all these years later.   Why would Revell have used a non-prototypical rear axle/diff design on their original SW& C tooling?  Beats me...but the proof is above.  

And Ron, no need to apologize here for your willingness to deep dive on kit and scale authenticity from this corner.  We all learn from this and I find it to be yet one more reason this model car hobby is so interesting and fun.  

Best regards, and thanks again....TB 

• Like 2

• tim boyd changed the title to 1930 Model A 5wc Gasser Project - Update #2 and a minor text correction

Here's an example of the properly setup, partially completed rear suspension using the airbag setup referenced in my "supplemental" photo and caption above.  This is from Travis Medford and you can see (and you should check out) his entire build in this same forum folder under the "'32 Ford Y-Block Drag Coupe series of at the link below....TB

image.png.de0954c2f7259ee5656c132188b79123.png

Photo and project credit: Travis Medford 

image.png.8b6bf30a53af6b7c5225482b0f6febf4.png

Photo and project credit:  Travis Medford 

And here's a link to the entire thread with Travis' Y-Block Project....

• Like 4

• tim boyd changed the title to 1930 Model A Five Window Coupe Full-Fendered B/G Project

Since the window for text edits has expired, this note will have to suffice as a further update to my note above about the rear axle linkages.  The technically correct terminology for the rear end "sway bar" is actually "Panhard Bar".  For anyone who is into this level of detail, recommend you dig out your copy of MCM #22 and replace the words "Watts Linkage" in the text for the caption at the left center of page 17 with "Panhard Bar".  Thanks...

Also, if I am remembering correctly, my original article submission mmay have made reference to consideration of a Scatter Shield as becoming a requirement for manual transmission Gassers during the course of the 1960s. (Again, if my memory is correct that I included this mention in the text, it would have been omitted in the final article presentation due to space limitatations.)  I didn't find one I liked but considered using the bellhousing/pseudo scatter shield lookalike in the c.1975 tooling of AMT's 1955 Corvette kit, which included a few extra parts for a drag racing themed build version.  Also briefly considered but rejected the original Monogram 1969 Z-28 Street Machine kit tooled in the late 1970s.  Any of you have better suggestion for a kit-based source of a period correct scatter shield sized to fit a Chevy 283/327 with a four-speed manual tranny? 

Best and happy 2024 modeling new year to you all...TIM  

• Like 3

The Revell parts pack looks similar to a Lakewood Bellhousing/scattershield.  I don’t have a picture but I am 99 percent sure I used one on this P/S 55 Nomad.  Of course, in the early 60’s, the cast iron Ansen scattershield with the bolt on cover (had to weigh 50 lbs) was an option.  The Chevelle pro street is somewhat similar to a Lakewood (no bolts, of course).  Just another one of those head scratchers in the modeling industry as every tech man in the country checked all the cars coming in for a scattershield.

IMG_1482.jpeg

IMG_1483.jpeg

IMG_1484.jpeg

IMG_1485.jpeg

IMG_1486.jpeg

IMG_1149.jpeg

IMG_1150.jpeg

IMG_1151.jpeg

IMG_1152.jpeg

• Like 1

Well Tim, you are one of those model building masters that go to the extreme to duplicate exact detail.  I'm guessing envy is the best description I can say about how I feel about the fantastic work.  

That being said, I'm definitely watching, and I too loved the myriad  variety of gassers back in the day.