Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hands magneisum wheels

• Vintage AMT changed the title to Hands magneisum wheels

The Corvette convertible annual kit (not the reissues) has them, they are better than the Lindberg units as the AMT ones have open holes.  One of the AMT Hot Rod Shop (parts packs from the Sixties, reissued a couple of times) has a set also, that set is four-lug however.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, stitchdup said:

do you need some of these wheels? i've got loads of them somewhere. I thought they were trailer wheels or wellers, lol

You might be thinking of steel wheels with similar shape openings in them. Those would be used in trailers.

• Like 1

Probably a later version of the Hands wheel, or a copy.  I wonder what those were used on in the past, the 5 on 5" pattern is pretty much limited to 2WD pickups and fullsize passenger cars.

On a similar note, Sears carried Cragar S/S wheels when they first came out, only theirs were named A.J. Foyt wheels!  They did have Foyt center caps (I have seen a couple of those).  Sears wound up swapping the Foyt center caps for the normal Cragar ones to clear the wheels out, the Foyt caps are probably really tough to find now...

Edited by Mark
Spell check
  • Like 1

The Hands wheels were used on Corvair Fitch Sprints and Sunbeam Tigers. The only source for them in scale that I know of is the original 1967 Corvair Monza AMT kit. The wheels in the AMT parts pack are similar but the spokes are flat not curved. These flat wheels I think are in the AMT Corvair funny car kit or one of the other funny car kits. The Corvair Club newsletter article mentions the various copies that were available. I've got a few 1:1 sets and my 1966 Corsa has the 13" Offy copies on it. I also have a couple sets of 14" 4 lug versions that will go on my early ( 1960-1964) Corvairs. About 10 years ago there was a reproduction run of the Hands wheels in 13" 4 lug and 5 lug. I think these were done in cooperation with the Sunbeam Tiger owners as well as the major Corvair parts supplier. I do have a set of these reproduction wheels as well. I've been searching for a long time to find a set of 14" or 15"  5lug 4.75 bolt circle to use on my 1965/66 Corvairs with no luck. 

66floor-fix2.JPG

66corsaPontiac.jpg

Back in the 60s I was pretty fond of the Hands mags. I know that some were intended for racing only and were cast magnesium. Some were intended and sold for use on the street and were cast in aluminum. I'm not sure who actually cast the ones that were sold as "Dan Gurney" wheels in the late 60s/early 70s. I've mostly encountered them on VW Bugs in the 4-lug 15" x 5" version. I may still have some of the ones from my original issue 63 Vette kits. Although those models were destroyed in the Sylmar earthquake of '71.

• 5 weeks later...