Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mpc Plymouth 68 cornet hardtop R/t with trailer

66c10

• 2 weeks later...

IIRC the actual car had a straight line at the bottom of the rear window, not the curved one we saw on the convertible kit. On the convertible it's not an issue because the cover conceals it, but I hope that's been fixed on the hardtop.

19 minutes ago, Merkur XR4Ti said:

IIRC the actual car had a straight line at the bottom of the rear window, not the curved one we saw on the convertible kit. On the convertible it's not an issue because the cover conceals it, but I hope that's been fixed on the hardtop.

I never noticed that on the '68 or '69 Coronet before.  Maybe Dodge made a last-minute change.

1 hour ago, Merkur XR4Ti said:

Not sure what you mean, I'm not seeing it. Body looks correct to me.

image.png.15133d851f04c6c3aefa9226015c8aac.png

image.png.b46258d5790436e714bf3e10920dac85.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Merkur XR4Ti said:

Actually, the '68 Coronet Hardtop does have a curved rear window and the kit matches that.   

-Steve

1968-dodge-coronet-r-t (8).jpg

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Motor City said:

The Super Bee has a straight rear window bottom.  I'm not sure why Dodge would have used different rear windows for the intermediates.

image.png.0f5ec4efce5a78091d8095287fac93d0.pngimage.png.8ce4ec9f139dfdfaab1bd3f2dac643a9.pngimage.png.f4b91e401c046a8fb7f04c1620873fea.png

That's not correct.  The Superbees also had the curved bottom shape as well like the red car that was pictured.  All 68-70 Coronet 2 door hardtops and 2 door post cars had the curved bottom on the rear glass.    What you are seeing is just an illusion that makes that bottom part look straight when it's not.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Motor City said:

The Super Bee has a straight rear window bottom.  I'm not sure why Dodge would have used different rear windows for the intermediates.

image.png.0f5ec4efce5a78091d8095287fac93d0.pngimage.png.8ce4ec9f139dfdfaab1bd3f2dac643a9.pngimage.png.f4b91e401c046a8fb7f04c1620873fea.png

That's not correct.  The Superbees also had the curved bottom shape as well like the red car that was pictured.  All 68-70 Coronet 2 door hardtops and 2 door post cars had the curved bottom on the rear glass.    What you are seeing is just an illusion that makes that bottom part look straight when it's not.  Here is a 68 Superbee showing the curved bottom of the back glass just like the one on the red car in a previous post.

Back window 1968 Coronet - Copy.jpg

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Mr mopar said:

I just hope they fixed the interior from a soft top to a hard top !

Steve G mentioned in another thread that differentiating between convertible and hard top interior side panels was a driving factor in making them separate:

So, looks like Round2's got it covered. 😎

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Motor City said:

thanks, guys; it's an optical illusion; it didn't make sense to me why there would be two different rear window treatments!

When the B-body lineup was updated in 1968 the 2drs and 4drs got all new exterior styling with a lowered windshield and new side and rear glass. The lower volume convertible and wagon bodies got the new exterior styling but retained their 66-67 B-body glass and roof design along with all of the convertible and wagon unique interior pieces. If you think about the 66-67 B-Bodies they were a quite square edged design.

This picture below is my 68 Coronet convertible (in-process restoration), and you can see how squared off the side glass is compared to a hard hop.

chroped.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks, Craig, a person can sure learn something every day.  I knew people with '67, '68 and '70 Coronet 500s years ago and never knew that about the convertibles.    

I really like your '68.  It's a great color combination!  Best wishes on its completion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Motor City said:

Thanks, Craig, a person can sure learn something every day.  I knew people with '67, '68 and '70 Coronet 500s years ago and never knew that about the convertibles.    

I really like your '68.  It's a great color combination!  Best wishes on its completion.

Thanks Jim! I took her to prom in the 80's (yes, we were all idiots and sat on the car). The green top is original and was one year only.

She is currently getting some poorly repaired accident damage repaired. I hope to have her done by 2025.

prom 1987.jpg

Resized952023123095111504.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Carmak said:

When the B-body lineup was updated in 1968 the 2drs and 4drs got all new exterior styling with a lowered windshield and new side and rear glass. The lower volume convertible and wagon bodies got the new exterior styling but retained their 66-67 B-body glass and roof design along with all of the convertible and wagon unique interior pieces. If you think about the 66-67 B-Bodies they were a quite square edged design.

This picture below is my 68 Coronet convertible (in-process restoration), and you can see how squared off the side glass is compared to a hard hop.

chroped.jpg

Looks like we are going green today.  Here's mine.

George coronet sheehan show.jpg

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Motor City said:

thanks, guys; it's an optical illusion; it didn't make sense to me why there would be two different rear window treatments!

Aaah that's why I thought the rear window was straight. Learn something new every day.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Carmak said:

Thanks Jim! I took her to prom in the 80's (yes, we were all idiots and sat on the car). The green top is original and was one year only.

She is currently getting some poorly repaired accident damage repaired. I hope to have her done by 2025.

I remember seeing that prom picture.  That's a cool story.  To still have the original top is just amazing.  It looks like you have a couple of other Mopar projects well underway.  

I wish I had kept my first car, a loaded '71 Eldorado coupe, but it just had too much rust and was worn out.  I couldn't justify storing it elsewhere after the shed it was in started to collapse.  I didn't buy a house for several more years, so that would have been a lot of money out of my pocket.  At least I've kept the first vehicle I ordered and purchased, a new El Camino.  The Eldorado was a hand-me-down from my grandmother.