Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mpc Plymouth 68 cornet hardtop R/t with trailer

66c10

18 hours ago, GMP440 said:

Looks like we are going green today.  Here's mine.

George coronet sheehan show.jpg

What is that color? That's how I want to paint mine. 

First time I ever noticed that color (same color?) was on a '69 GTX. I painted my JoHan '69 Road Runner with AMT Surf Green as it was the closest I could find in 1969. (I still have that model.) I'm pretty sure that color or its closest equivalent was F5 in '69, but what is it in '68? 

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

First time I ever noticed that color (same color?) was on a '69 GTX. I painted my JoHan '69 Road Runner with AMT Surf Green as it was the closest I could find in 1969. (I still have that model.) I'm pretty sure that color or its closest equivalent was F5 in '69, but what is it in '68? 

Hard to tell for sure, but that is probably 1968 Dodge code TT-1 Medium Green Metallic (the alpha/numeric - i.e. F3/F5/F6/F8/F9 - format did not start until the 1969 Model Year). or possibly Code Code FF-1 Light Green Metallic. 

MCW Automotive Finishes has offered model car size packaging of both colors in the past and may still do so. 

Here' a link to the autocolorlibrary paint chip page for 1968 Dodges.... 1968 Dodge (autocolorlibrary.com)

TIM...

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Hard to tell for sure, but that is probably 1968 Dodge code TT-1 Medium Green Metallic (the alpha/numeric - i.e. F3/F5/F6/F8/F9 - format did not start until the 1969 Model Year). or possibly Code Code FF-1 Light Green Metallic. 

MCW Automotive Finishes has offered model car size packaging of both colors in the past and may still do so. 

Here' a link to the autocolorlibrary paint chip page for 1968 Dodges.... 1968 Dodge (autocolorlibrary.com)

TIM...

The 68 Coronet that I own , which is pictured, is TT-1, medium green metallic.   1968  FF-1 is a light green metallic.  

• Thanks 1

On 1/4/2024 at 5:59 AM, Snake45 said:

I agree with Tim that is probably TT-1 green. My convertible is FF-1, and it is much more of a silver frost green than TT-1. The picture of the underside of my trunk is the original FF-1 paint.

Guys, there's no "i think it's" or "it's probably"  going on with that car, it's George's [GMP440] actual car he owns and he said it is TT-1 

" The 68 Coronet that I own , which is pictured, is TT-1, medium green metallic."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Carmak said:

I agree with Tim that is probably TT-1 green. My convertible is FF-1, and it is much more of a silver frost green than TT-1. The picture of the underside of my trunk is the original FF-1 paint.

To clear things up, it's definetly TT-1 medium green metallic.  I can show the paint code that's on the fender tag on my 68 Coronet that I pictured.   Carmac is correct about the FF-1 having more of a silver frost green.  When you put both TT-1 and FF-1 cars next to each other there is a drastic difference that can be seen.

• Like 2

On 1/4/2024 at 6:59 AM, Snake45 said:

I just found the pics of my model I mentioned. Still have it. It really deserves a cleanup, but OTOH, I kinda dig the "barn find" look it has now. Some modelers work VERY hard to achieve "weathering" that good. B)

69RR01.jpg.03ac66c219b2a6fd6bcd3cf4b2430a31.jpg

69RR02.jpg.7531227da68d860837eb7833e606d979.jpg

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I just found the pics of my model I mentioned. Still have it. It really deserves a cleanup, but OTOH, I kinda dig the "barn find" look it has now. Some modelers work VERY hard to achieve "weathering" that good. B)

That is very nice, I'd leave it as it is.

6 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Richard...that is one sharp looking model.  If I were you, I wouldn't touch it with any changes.   The level of detail you show on that model (painted chrome trim and nameplates, side marker lilghts, interior detail (headrest posts....) all show a level of detail not often seen on models built back in the day.  Not to mention it ll looks "period correct" to my eye.  Cool! 

I remember AMT Surf Green was a very popular color when AMT introduced it in the late 1960s.  Back then I was doing some of the MPC National Customizing Contest events, and looking over the contest tables, I recall seeing tons of models painted that AMT color (along with tons of Monogram Bad Man models, but that's another story for another day). 

Thx for sharing...TIM 

On 1/6/2024 at 8:19 AM, Snake45 said:

Wow. My original issue 69 RR is also green. Bummer is that mine has paint flaking off.

One of the interesting details of the original issue is the "PLYMOUTH" trim on the trunk above the Road Runner trim. The PLYMOUTH is incorrect (not on the 1:1 car), and later issues did not have it. Tim Boyd documented this detail in his wonderful Collecting Muscle Car Model Kits book.

69 JoHan RR original issue 01.jpg

69 JoHan RR original issue 02.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Mr mopar said:

I just seen on Face Book that HPI guy  is doing the '68 Coronet hard top ,full build up should be on You Tube Wednesday. 

422156979_423225043361341_1296545036755030013_n.jpg

This is a good sign that the distributers should be getting the Coronet hardtop kits 3 to 4 weeks from now.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stavanzer said:

Other than the Hard Top, I wonder what parts differences there are between the two kits?

Interior door card panels and rear seat to differentiate from the convertible, I'd say (only 'cause Steve G did).  Backlight on the clear tree.

Decals, 'n that'd be it, I think.

• Thanks 1

The "bumblebee" Scat Pack stripes on the convertible were not exactly to factory scale; Steve said he would investigate trying to get them more accurate on the Hardtop.  We'll find out soon enough if this made the update...TB 

• Like 4

The top of the box lid seems to call out a police light bar. Pieces of this were present in the convertible kit. I’m not sure if the original ‘68 had one, but I know the ‘69 and ‘70 kits did. I hope they include police decals of some sort. I have seen a few originals built up as Cop Cars and they look pretty cool! 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Keef said:

Would have been nice if they’d filled the gaping hole in the hood and left it to be cut out(like the 70 Super Bee) instead of having it open. 

The convertible came with both an uncut stock hood and a custom hood with cutout. I’m sure that’s what we’ll have in the hardtop. It looks like he’s gonna build this one as the drag version. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CapSat 6 said:

The convertible came with both an uncut stock hood and a custom hood with cutout. I’m sure that’s what we’ll have in the hardtop. It looks like he’s gonna build this one as the drag version. :)

Maybe with two cut-out hoods, one can make a non-cut-out. I did just that, with Revell's '68 Firebird.