Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Straight Six Community Build Rides Again

Chuck Most

I have been following and gathering bits and pieces for my Straight Six Community Build Rides Again.

However, I did want to clarify something. 

I am use to the very well organized, popular, and administered group builds on britmodeler. Each group build get it's own sub directory of the forum in which those participating create their own topic for their build and there is also a separate topic for general group build chat and another for a gallery for the finished builds. Granted, this is a lot of work for the admins and participants but it does work well when there are larger numbers builds.

On this forum, the group builds or rather community builds don't seem to very popular ( which is a same ), are much more laid back with smaller numbers of participants and it appears that everyone chats and posts their builds within the same topic in the community builds sub section of the forum.  

Is that how it is done here?

I am fine with that if that how it's done but I want to know if that is how it's done here.

cheers, Graham 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ColonelKrypton said:

I have been following and gathering bits and pieces for my Straight Six Community Build Rides Again.

However, I did want to clarify something. 

I am use to the very well organized, popular, and administered group builds on britmodeler. Each group build get it's own sub directory of the forum in which those participating create their own topic for their build and there is also a separate topic for general group build chat and another for a gallery for the finished builds. Granted, this is a lot of work for the admins and participants but it does work well when there are larger numbers builds.

On this forum, the group builds or rather community builds don't seem to very popular ( which is a same ), are much more laid back with smaller numbers of participants and it appears that everyone chats and posts their builds within the same topic in the community builds sub section of the forum.  

Is that how it is done here?

I am fine with that if that how it's done but I want to know if that is how it's done here.

cheers, Graham 

yes thats pretty much it, but if you also start a wip thread on your build you can add straight 6 community build to your thread title

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Last week I bought a bunch of kits from a buddy who had lost interest. One of them was a Tamiya Nissan Skyline 2000 GT-R Hardtop. Assembly had been started and it wore a shade of matte pink paint. I decided to distress it with some Vallejo paints and washes. Being straight six powered, might as well drag it into the melee here. 

IMG_20231229_104616.thumb.jpg.921368f8841637895fa284687b4b9fb4.jpgIMG_20231229_1206592.thumb.jpg.d2f86af5c0d27917edacbf362e5f64be.jpg

Edited by Chuck Most
  • Like 5

Guys, I've got the body all sanded, except for attaching the front piece..... Not sure how 'molded-in' I'll do the front end, whether I leave the seams or not. I'm thinking about using these T-Bird wires on this.... What do y'all think?

SDC10876.JPG.e9d0687c3e809d8af0e0089d1134c5ce.JPG

• Like 3

Hey, fellas! Just wanted to show how I went about lowering the front....... I just drilled the spindle higher than the stock axle hole, and am using tooth picks (whatever works, right? ) to mount the wheels...

SDC10883.JPG.f78fbb320a7a8da527096515c3d1a84a.JPG

Here's how it sits in the front....

SDC10887.JPG.8f51dbbfb57ebdc86eac6e2e80bdbc5f.JPG

Now I need to decide exactly what stance I want to have, though I'm thinking a little nose-down......

• Like 4

On 12/18/2023 at 6:30 PM, Chuck Most said:

I honestly think the world would run much more smoothly if we just wouldn't pull a random date out of thin air with an "I want this on my desk by four o'clock" note. 🤣

Amen!  I just retired, left the job because I'd had enough of the above.  I'd be working on something important like the Corporate Security Plan, and I'd get one of those "bring me a shrubbery" demands with a totally unrealistic deadline.  The management I worked for was so bad that there are two Glassdoor reviews mentioning their artificial deadlines!   

And now on to business... This is my '56 Chevy that I owned in the late 70s to early 80s.  With a rare photo- note my 66 Valiant and 65 Barracuda in the background!  This was a six cylinder car 2 speed car.  I started a replica a while back for The 24 Hour Build and made a major boo boo which made me stop.  I used a resin six, with solid block, trans and oil pain.  The frickin pan was backwards for my application!  And dummy me only noticed it after it was painted and wired!   

So surprise!  This week I was cleaning off the workbench and decided to finish the projects that had been gathering dust. I finished a 40 Ford Sedan Delivery and just yesterday pulled this one out.  Last night I found another Chevy six and fit it with the pan in the correct orientation.

So can I play?  😀

my 56.jpg

IMG_8452.jpg

Edited by Tom Geiger
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1