Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Straight Six Community Build Rides Again

Chuck Most

Back in 2012 I started up a CBP revolving around inline six engines. Much fun was had, several cool models resulted, and so on.

Since shortly the buzz around the holidays will be over and we'll be fast in the clutches of another winter, I thought why not take another bash at it?

Rules/guidelines as follows...

1. Your project has to be powered by a straight six. I mean, obviously. If it has six cylinders and they are NOT arranged in a V or boxer configuration, it's fair game.

2. ANY inline six. Flathead, overhead, cam(s) in the block or head. Any country of origin, any scale. 

3. "Gee Chuck, are Slant Sixes allowed?" Why they most certainly are, Mr. Socrates. Slant sixes do count. And not just Mopars, Mercedes and Datsun also installed some of their sixes at a slight angle. Any inline six.

4.  "What about diesels?" Why, yes. As long as it's an inline six, it can burn whatever fuel you want. There are some really nice aftermarket Cummins 6BT engines out there, for example. Again... Any old inline six.

4. The vehicle you choose does not have to be one where an inline six was ever offered. Toyota 2JZ in a Hilux? Ford Barra in a Fox Mustang? Sky is the limit.

5. Any style is accepted. Dead-serious realistic model or something a bit more cartoony, and all points in between. (This might just be your excuse to finally build that Monogram Horn Toad or Red Baron.) Factory stock, hot rod, custom, and racing are welcome, as are any combinations of those types. And there's no limit to vehicle type. Anything from a compact hatchback to a Class 8 Semi tractor.

6. You can keep it box stock or go as hog wild as you wish. Any scale, any material. 

7.  Beginning date will be when/if we get a few interested parties, end date will be whenever the universe collapses in on itself. So no deadline worries, in other words.

8. Show off your work, encourage the other participants, bounce ideas, and just have a good time. Because isn't that the entire point of a hobby?

ADDENDUM:

I was thinking about another thing. No, this doesn't need to be something you started just for this community build. It can be a started project. Why limit things like that when the only limit is supposed to be the presence of a straight six? 😁

Edited by Chuck Most
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, Lunajammer said:

WOW, I almost can't believe it's been that long. I thought I'd post a link to that CBP as a reference to show the spirit of the challenge but it's so old with so many broken links it's almost worthless... almost. Still a ton of good info & inspiration here.

Yeah, that's the main reason I didn't post a link to the original CBP, or just revive it there. Photobucket destroyed the Internet. 🤣

The bait is out and I'm swimming towards the hook. 😆  I swear I could listen to Chuck all day, I love the way he writes! 😁 

I've got a 51 Chevy that needs built. I'd like to build a tribute car my uncle had back in the 50's. I've heard stories about how they had it souped up. bigger pistons, head work, 3 2 barrels and a header.  The car had a 3 speed in the floor but they reversed the linkage somehow so first and third were switched. It made it easier to speedshift the transmission. Don't ask me how though 😂

My grandfather was the town  mechanic, he was born in 1906. He built the wildest stuff, from tractor parts and whatever he could think up. As the story goes he had a model A with three transmissions welded together it had 13 forward gears and 7 reverse. 😆 

He had a 55 Chevy 4 door 210 with some big rig engin/trans in it. Once when a blizzard hit the town Granddad was called to pull a greyhound bus out of the ditch. He had chains and knobby tires on it, pulled the bus right out. He even made the newspaper with the story... so the story I've been told goes. 😆 He died in 71 before I was born, I  would've like to have met him. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm in.

I hang out on Britmodeler and Group Builds are very popular there - well organized, lots of different subject matter, and plenty of interest. 

I am surprised that there is not more interest here for these sorts of group builds / community builds  ( same thing, just different names.  There seem to be a growing number and interest in  Group Builds amongst the content providers on Youtube. Not so easy to participate if you are also not one who is posting youtube videos, not impossible, just not so easy. Perhaps there needs to be some thought given on how to promote participation in Group Builds here and the youtube bunch at the same time. 

One interesting Group Build on Britmodeler are the two yearly 24 hour Blitz builds - build a model in no more than 24 hours over a three day weekend either in one 24 hour sitting, or three eight hour sittings or various length sittings totaling no more than 24 hours. 

The challenge of Group Builds ( sorry, Community Builds ) is that someone has to step up and actively organize the thing just as @Chuck Most has done for this one. 

Too many Community Builds is not so good as it tends to be divisive - spreads interest too thinly amongst too many Community Builds. 

Perhaps we need to start a separate discussion to see how much interest there is in trying to give Community Builds a kick in the butt and see if we can't promote the activity a bit more and buid some interest in the activity.

cheers, Graham near Ottawa Canada

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ColonelKrypton said:

I'm in.

I hang out on Britmodeler and Group Builds are very popular there - well organized, lots of different subject matter, and plenty of interest. 

I am surprised that there is not more interest here for these sorts of group builds / community builds  ( same thing, just different names.  There seem to be a growing number and interest in  Group Builds amongst the content providers on Youtube. Not so easy to participate if you are also not one who is posting youtube videos, not impossible, just not so easy. Perhaps there needs to be some thought given on how to promote participation in Group Builds here and the youtube bunch at the same time. 

One interesting Group Build on Britmodeler are the two yearly 24 hour Blitz builds - build a model in no more than 24 hours over a three day weekend either in one 24 hour sitting, or three eight hour sittings or various length sittings totaling no more than 24 hours. 

The challenge of Group Builds ( sorry, Community Builds ) is that someone has to step up and actively organize the thing just as @Chuck Most has done for this one. 

Too many Community Builds is not so good as it tends to be divisive - spreads interest too thinly amongst too many Community Builds. 

Perhaps we need to start a separate discussion to see how much interest there is in trying to give Community Builds a kick in the butt and see if we can't promote the activity a bit more and buid some interest in the activity.

cheers, Graham near Ottawa Canada

I kinda wonder if it's different here because this section is waaaaaay toward the bottom of the page. Just a thought. 

The reason I haven't participated in too many is because many are too restrictive, way too lenient, or just not a subject that grabs me at the time. 

And for me personally, a deadline is a deal breaker. I have to deal with deadlines every day in my professional life. I would really rather not deal with it with a hobby. Like I'm saying at work, deadlines are almost always arbitrary. We're good at getting things done on time but I've found you can still save face if the customer gets what they wanted in the end, even if they get it a day or two after we said we could have it done. I honestly think the world would run much more smoothly if we just wouldn't pull a random date out of thin air with an "I want this on my desk by four o'clock" note. 🤣

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Camaro lover said:

I'm already in for the 2024 cannonball run build. I might as well put my name in for this one too. Should help me stay motivated and get creative too.

Ditto.

I have a few Japanese straight-sixes in my various kits, and there's a 2.4-litre lump in my 1:1 Datsun so they are definitely something I appreciate and it's probably something I'd be building anyway, but to challenge myself a little maybe it's time to do something with the Maserati 'six' I have spare from the Monogram 3500GT?.....

Edited by Spottedlaurel
  • Like 1

Chuck, if it's cool I'd like to join in! I just happened to be starting on the same '41 Plymouth kit that you have there..... Gonna go with a mild custom! All I've done so far is the engine halves are together, and I've removed a running board perch. Always liked the look of the fat fender cars without their running boards. So if it's okay, I'll begin showing my progress here!

SDC10862.JPG.d19bb7beb56a6d5d0644ef109560870c.JPG

SDC10864.JPG.58d0e9df3152ede4d6add0b4b560b717.JPG

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, JollySipper said:

Chuck, if it's cool I'd like to join in! I just happened to be starting on the same '41 Plymouth kit that you have there..... Gonna go with a mild custom! All I've done so far is the engine halves are together, and I've removed a running board perch. Always liked the look of the fat fender cars without their running boards. So if it's okay, I'll begin showing my progress here!

Go for it!

1 hour ago, JollySipper said:

SDC10862.JPG.d19bb7beb56a6d5d0644ef109560870c.JPG

SDC10864.JPG.58d0e9df3152ede4d6add0b4b560b717.JPG

I really liked that kit!

• Like 1