Model Cars Magazine Forum

2024 Cannonball Run Restomods Build Thread

White Rabbit

5 hours ago, Mattilacken said:

I will be Playing this year. I have a Porsche Turbo (930) that i am gona build for a friend of mine that turns 40 in april.

Will be curbside since the kit is that version, but i have an engine printed to go on the side if i have the time. Updated tires and wheels due to missing parts and i might throw in some updated brakes.

Interior will be mostly stock exept for seats that will be the electric adjustable ones and steering wheel will be an other since the original one is lost over time. 

Post a picture of the kit later but here is a super low res pic of som of the parts.

I think you are going to need more tires.....😄

Here's where I'm at on the '74 GTX. Only two Duplicolor spray greens are on the shelf at any local auto store and both are very dark. I grabbed Forest Green Pearl (hey, it's an actual Mopar color). Darker than I want and darker than it seems to appear in the pic. I color coated last weekend and tonight I clear coated. I'll let it stink off for awhile then address how I'll do the black vinyl roof.

Doing a lot of satin blackout with slivers of chrome and stainless. The beige interior will help lighten the oppressive darkness. Good night runner I guess, eh?

FreshPaintedBody.thumb.jpg.c6b319695e9ad0c6b2679d1d9b06c3e3.jpg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Lunajammer said:

Here's where I'm at on the '74 GTX. Only two Duplicolor spray greens are on the shelf at any local auto store and both are very dark. I grabbed Forest Green Pearl (hey, it's an actual Mopar color). Darker than I want and darker than it seems to appear in the pic. I color coated last weekend and tonight I clear coated. I'll let it stink off for awhile then address how I'll do the black vinyl roof.

Doing a lot of satin blackout with slivers of chrome and stainless. The beige interior will help lighten the oppressive darkness. Good night runner I guess, eh?

Yes, good greens are hard to come by now. I ended up finding a local paint shop that mixed spray cans if you provided the code for what you wanted. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fat Brian said:

I ended up finding a local paint shop that mixed spray cans if you provided the code for what you wanted. 

Thought about it. I've done it before for personal, passionate projects. This one's just for fun, so the game plan is cheap, easy, don't sweat the small stuff (like the curly lint strand buried deep into the color coat. I'll let you guys find it 😄).

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Mattilacken said:

So here is the build 1984 Porsche turbo, red with black accents as they had, and Fuchs in black and polished alu.

IMG_0760.thumb.jpeg.6a8fdacc046e859205328b9a5cecc989.jpeg

As a fan of all things Porsche, I'm looking forward to your build, nice start!

Great updates everyone! We're not even a month into the Run, and the builds are already looking fantastic!

Updated Entry List:

1. 1990 Ford Mustang (Fat Brian)
  2. 1974 Plymouth GTX (Lunajammer)
  3. VW Corrado Magnum (stitchdup)
  4. 1975 AMC Gremlin (Tim08)
  5. Nissan 240ZG (Spottedlaurel)
  6. 1957 Ford Fairlane (MeatMan)
  7. 1965 Buick Riveira (Keef)
  8. 1990 Ford Mustang LX (53gmc)
  9. 1967 Pontiac GTO (Pat Minarick)
  10. 1966 Ford Mustang (beans)
  11. 1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS (Disconovaman)
  12. 1998 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 (Westrods)
  13. 1966 Chevrolet Chevelle Wagon (atomicholiday)
  14. 1974 Pontiac TransAm (Can-Con)
  15. 1967 Chevrolet Camaro (Camaro lover) pending
  16. 1959 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz (Kermn8r)
  17. 1997 Ford Expedition (oldcarfan)
  18. Ferrari 512BB (avidinha)
  19. 1964 1/2 Ford Mustang (KWT)
  20. Mazda RX3 (White Rabbit)
  21. 1970 Dodge Coronet Super Bee (slusher)
  22. 1971 Plymouth GTX (Bills72sj)
  23. VW Vanagon LLE (tooltime-fan)
  24. 2003 Chevrolet SSR (xbazzarex)
  25. 1984 Porsche 911 Turbo (Mattilacken)
  • Like 1

On 1/24/2024 at 9:35 PM, Lunajammer said:

Very nice green!

10 hours ago, White Rabbit said:

Great updates everyone! We're not even a month into the Run, and the builds are already looking fantastic!

Updated Entry List:

1. 1990 Ford Mustang (Fat Brian)
  2. 1974 Plymouth GTX (Lunajammer)
  3. VW Corrado Magnum (stitchdup)
  4. 1975 AMC Gremlin (Tim08)
  5. Nissan 240ZG (Spottedlaurel)
  6. 1957 Ford Fairlane (MeatMan)
  7. 1965 Buick Riveira (Keef)
  8. 1990 Ford Mustang LX (53gmc)
  9. 1967 Pontiac GTO (Pat Minarick)
  10. 1966 Ford Mustang (beans)
  11. 1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS (Disconovaman)
  12. 1998 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 (Westrods)
  13. 1966 Chevrolet Chevelle Wagon (atomicholiday)
  14. 1974 Pontiac TransAm (Can-Con)
  15. 1967 Chevrolet Camaro (Camaro lover) pending
  16. 1959 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz (Kermn8r)
  17. 1997 Ford Expedition (oldcarfan)
  18. Ferrari 512BB (avidinha)
  19. 1964 1/2 Ford Mustang (KWT)
  20. Mazda RX3 (White Rabbit)
  21. 1970 Dodge Coronet Super Bee (slusher)
  22. 1971 Plymouth GTX (Bills72sj)
  23. VW Vanagon LLE (tooltime-fan)
  24. 2003 Chevrolet SSR (xbazzarex)
  25. 1984 Porsche 911 Turbo (Mattilacken)

Looking over the list again.  This is going to be an awesome year.  Lots of variety and some really cool builds going on.  I love seeing all the different takes people have on their builds.  

• Like 5

Made some progress on the chassi and engine.. and as I usually do.. I make things harder than they are.. but hey now I have an engine in the car!!

cut the floor trans and engine out and patched in panels from a leftover gt2 Porsche to make the floor and torpedo. So far so good!

image.thumb.jpg.715e93cc043e3aa6349cb9cc43f0fa28.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.d13745edc69fd1e317a6d2226f03e0c6.jpg

• Like 5

Finally, I have an update. After several days of uncomfortable temps, it was in the 60s today. That being said, I got off the couch and did some work in the hobby room. I refined the fit of the Lindberg F-150 frame to the Expedition's interior bucket. Also modified the Lindberg's rear suspension and added the front suspension from a Mustang as I didn't really want a 4WD. Not sure if that will work, but it'll do for now. Working on the stance is not one of my favorite things, but this is about as low as I can go without some serious cutting. The rear probably needs to come down some more. I'm kind of liking these wheels and tires though they are kind of low profile. They were generously donated by a Welly Porsche 911 GT3 that I broke down for parts. The Expedition needs something big to fill the wheelwells and these may just work.

aaaaCanBallStance.jpg

aaaaCanBallStanceChassis.jpg

• Like 2

I've been plugging along a half hour here, an hour there and this is where I'm at tonight on the '74 GTX. Engine is done. After momentarily starting on the engine from the Magnum Wagon, I didn't like how involved it would get trying to fit it into the GTX, so back to kit 440 it is. Meh.

Engine2.jpeg.c13de721cde5f520d5fde6440ac9ff52.jpeg

Engine1.jpeg.faa7928730a202cbd3acb40aa273554f.jpeg

Edited by Lunajammer
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, Lunajammer said:

I've been plugging along a half hour here, an hour there and this is where I'm at tonight on the '74 GTX. Engine is done. After momentarily starting on the engine from the Magnum Wagon, I didn't like how involved it would get trying to fit it into the GTX, so back to kit 440 it is. Meh.

Engine2.jpeg.c13de721cde5f520d5fde6440ac9ff52.jpeg

Engine1.jpeg.faa7928730a202cbd3acb40aa273554f.jpeg

Yeah, that engine looks great.   Nice work! 

It looks like some great progress is being made! No picture to add, but I'm currently working on the dash for my Expedition. I'm finally coming to grips with these aging eyes. This afternoon, I had to break down and go to CVS and get a pair of those magnifying reading glasses. I put them on and, Wow! Gotta start correcting a bunch of mistakes that looked great without the glasses. Oh well, learned my lesson there.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, oldcarfan said:

This afternoon, I had to break down and go to CVS and get a pair of those magnifying reading glasses. I put them on and, Wow!

Yeah, the old grampa glasses are a game changer. Thinking about adding a stronger (closer) pair to the pair I've got.

Meanwhile, I came across this. Jeepers, wish I'd seen it six weeks ago. Not much room for Cannonball trickery though.

opel-gt-restomod-red-3.jpg.b2053dcedbb8062a7ca4f125560eda28.jpg

opel-gt-restomod-red-1.jpg.34c5af83f4352950c3803500af283289.jpg

• Like 5

7 hours ago, oldcarfan said:

It looks like some great progress is being made! No picture to add, but I'm currently working on the dash for my Expedition. I'm finally coming to grips with these aging eyes. This afternoon, I had to break down and go to CVS and get a pair of those magnifying reading glasses. I put them on and, Wow! Gotta start correcting a bunch of mistakes that looked great without the glasses. Oh well, learned my lesson there.

I went through the same thing about a year ago.   Picked up some 3x readers and my detail work is the best it's ever been.   Total game changer.   Those readers are hands down my most important modelling tool.

I'll let you in on another advantage of the glasses.  I don't know if this happens with everyone, or if I'm just imagining it.  I have hand tremors REALLY bad.  It was very difficult just typing this.  For some reason, the readers "trick" my brain and the shakes are far less when wearing them.  No idea why.  I still shake when I have them on, but it scales the shaking WAY down.  Even if my eyes were great, I could never do the detail work that I can without the glasses.  My builds would just be a big sloppy mess.  (ok, sloppier😁)

Edited by atomicholiday
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, atomicholiday said:

I don't know if this happens with everyone, or if I'm just imagining it.  I have hand tremors REALLY bad.  It was very difficult just typing this.  For some reason, the readers "trick" my brain and the shakes are far less when wearing them.  No idea why.

I wonder if that is part of why my detailing is better? Maybe seeing closer allows the brain to catch the tremors?