Model Cars Magazine Forum

2024 Cannonball Run Restomods Build Thread

White Rabbit

image.png.c88c27536f562ba7a0f5c9820364bc47.pngPicture taken atop the Red Ball Garage just prior to the start of the 1971 Cannonball Run. The eventual winners, Brock Yates and Dan Gurney, are seen just behind their Ferrari Daytona.

Cannonball Run 2024

Welcome Cannonballers to the 17th Annual Cannonball Run Community build!

The Cannonball Run Community is proud to present this year’s Cannonball Run theme:

Restomods

Old meets new in this year’s Cannonball!

Modified cars running flat out across the country have been part of the Cannonball from the first running in 1971. Therefore, it’s only fitting that we keep that tradition going in small scale with restomods. So get ready to modify your classic car for an all out blast to the West! 

Rules and Guidelines

General Vehicle Guidelines

1. Vehicles must be street legal. They should include headlights, taillights, license plates, etc. Effectively, a vehicle that could be registered with the DMV.
  2. All body types welcomed: coupe, sedan, van, truck, etc.
  3. All drivetrains allowed: RWD, AWD/4-WD, FWD

Restomod Specific Guidelines

1. Classic or vintage vehicles that are twenty (20) years or older; that is, vehicles built from 1903 to 2004 are permitted.
  2. The vehicles must be in restored, like-new condition and modified to enhance street performance (braking, handling, power, safety, comfort, etc.).
  3. Body: Mostly stock, with additions and/or changes made with factory offered parts (different trim levels or options)
    1. Subtle trim changes permitted.^
    2. Hoods may be changed.
    3. Circuit-only, extreme performance aerodynamics are not permitted.*
  4. Interior: Factory tub with changes made for safety and/or comfort.
    1. Roll bars are permitted, especially for open-top cars.
    2. Full roll cages are not permitted*
  5. Chassis: OEM chassis that the car was manufactured with.
  6. Suspension: Modern upgrades permitted (i.e.: independent suspension)
    1. Circuit-only, extreme performance-type suspension is not permitted.
  7. Brakes: Disc brake conversions permitted.
    1. Period-correct or modern OEM systems
    2. Aftermarket street systems (Wilwood, Brembo, etc.)
    3. Street pads
    4. Circuit-only, extreme performance brakes are not permitted
  8. Wheels and Tires: Open
    1. Bolt pattern and hubs should be in a street configuration, both OEM and aftermarket.
    2. No body modifications permitted to fit the wheels (fender flares, etc.).*
    3. Subtle adjustments, such as fender lip rolling or minor chassis adjustments may be permitted. The chassis should not "look" modified.
    4. Tires must be street legal.
  9. Engine and Transmission: Open to production engines and OEM or aftermarket transmissions (manual, semi-automatic, and automatic).
    1. Modifications should be to enhance performance and drivability; not for extreme, peak-performance.
    2. Engine swaps are permitted. Ideally, these would be within the same brand as the chassis.
    3. No race engine or transmission swaps or builds (IMSA, NASCAR, etc.). 
    4. Forced induction is permitted for increased power, but not for peak-power and torque. Again, drivability should be the focus.
  10. Paint/Livery: Open

Important: The builder should use their best judgment of what is within the spirit of the theme and guidelines.

1. This year's build has a certain degree of subjectivity, therefore, it is up to the builder to decide if their modifications are within the guidelines and in keeping with the spirit of the theme and guidelines.

^Trim changes should not significantly alter the original looks of the car and is at the builder’s judgment of what is in the spirit of the guidelines.

*Exception: if non-permitted parts were originally offered from the manufacturer on different trim levels or as parts-counter options.

Race Guidelines

1. The build can be either a new or started kit up to 25% complete. A re-builder or parts box special is acceptable. 1/24 or 1/25. If you absolutely must do a 1/20 model we’ll likely bend the rules as we have before, but that’s the limit.

EXCEPTION TO RULE 1. If you have a previously started racer from a previous running of the Cannonball (SA or MCM) 50% complete or less, they are eligible to run this year as long as they meet the theme requirement. All of our previous runs are still available on either of the two forums. If you are going to do this, please be certain it was involved in a previous run. We will continue to implement  this rule each year, as the goal of this CBP was always to get people building and finishing models.

2. Before starting please post a photo of your kit(s) or pile o’ parts. No limitation on type of vehicle or technology used. 

3. If for any reason you plan a build and wish to declare another entry in place of, you may do so at any time prior to the 48hrs. deadline. (please see important dates below)

4. Have fun!

That’s it for rules. The following is just FYI:

-You may start a separate build thread for your build if you wish, but please keep the CBP thread updated.

-Build time begins on 12:00AM January 1st, 2024, local time and ends at 11:59PM on December 1st, 2024, local time. That’s a total of eleven months!

-After the finish, we will create a poll and we’ll have the “race”: a public vote.

-The finished builds thread will begin on November 14th so that you may post your completed vehicles. The final voting poll will based from this thread. Good quality photos are essential to best showcase your hard work. No one has won this with poor photos in poor lighting.

-You may build as many models as you wish for this CBP, but only one can be entered in the finished builds thread and public voting poll prior to December 3rd.

-You can enter this CBP at any time up to 48 hours before the end date of December 1st.

Important Dates: 2024

January 1st, 12:00am: Official build start of the 2024 Cannonball Run

November 14th, 12:00am: Finished build thread opens

November 29th, 11:59pm: Last day to enter the CBR build

December 1st, 11:59pm: Official build end

December 3rd, 12:00am: Polling to elect a winner opens

December 13th, 11.59pm: Polling closes

December 17th: 2024 Winner announced

With all that being said, it’s time for all you scofflaws to take this year’s run and make it your own!

Edited by White Rabbit
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Here is this year's victim, the Revell 90 Mustang drag version. I chose this kit because it has a tubular front suspension option and some decent engine upgrades right from the box. I'm going to drop the rear spoiler and change the wheels and tires to ones that suit the theme better. It will also be getting the GT body kit from the AMT 88 kit.

20231227_201738.thumb.jpg.5fe4fe5b6d6401764f870ee89ff40880.jpg

• Like 1

YEEESSS! An Awesome start to what is gonna be a great Cannonball! Thank you Enzo for putting in work and time to make the Cannonball Run Community Build the best it can be! Thanks to your dedication we have a Community build that can carry on its tradition. You have truly refined the CBR competition into a well oiled machine. Your ideas and changes are seamless and full proof! It's an honor to build and Run with every Cannonballer in the field!

42 minutes ago, Tim08 said:

Thank you White Rabbit. Now for the questions. Say I have a 75 Gremlin and want to use some 2010 Camaro parts to upgrade, is that in bounds? I'm figuring I can fit anything within reason in an AMC. Just asking before I start hacking.

Thank you, as well!

18 minutes ago, Tim08 said:

Guess I should clarify. I mean like stuff from the interior and drive train into the Gremlin.

My view on the modifications is that they should be believable, and, as you stated, within reason. If the mods would be reasonable to make on a 1:1 restomod, as we're defining it for our purposes, then they are certainly within the "spirit" of the theme and guidelines. Swapping some drivetrain components and interior bits certainly seems reasonable and something that I can imagine someone doing full scale. A lot of these components, for example, a rear axle with custom brackets, could be made to drop into a classic car with minimal work on the chassis itself. 

I've been using the word "spirit" a lot because this theme, with its subjectivity and differing definitions, can easily become over regulated; which I don't believe that it should be. But, it can also become quite nebulous and go in various directions. Furthermore, I've tried to create a balance in the guidelines so that there is a clear theme and consistency, but with enough room for creativity so that we can all build something that we truly want that captures the theme, or spirit, of this year's Cannonball.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, disconovaman said:

YEEESSS! An Awesome start to what is gonna be a great Cannonball! Thank you Enzo for putting in work and time to make the Cannonball Run Community Build the best it can be! Thanks to your dedication we have a Community build that can carry on its tradition. You have truly refined the CBR competition into a well oiled machine. Your ideas and changes are seamless and full proof! It's an honor to build and Run with every Cannonballer in the field!

Thank you, Anthony! It's my pleasure to continue the great Cannonball adventure! I'm passionate about the Cannonball and believe that it was truly an incredible feat that those outlaws embarked on. And it's an honor for me to be able to continue that rebellious spirit in scale form! 

I second Anthony in that it's going to be an honor to build alongside such great Cannonballers!

• Like 1

I didn't intend to declare this soon but tonight while weeding through my contenders I broke the wrapping on this old RC2 and was thrilled to see how much room the frame and chassis provides for big fat meats (sorry Charger replacement chassis). Spacious engine bay opens wonderful possibilities and low parts count means I won't get dragged out by fussy, tertiary details. '74 Plymouth GTX.

OpeningPic.jpg.39b5581bf184fdc062dd06499eade173.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Enzo! It's a tricky one this year, but I think you've come up some guidance there that we can take in the right spirit and come up with something that isn't just a rehash of previous CBRs.

I'm currently swaying between AMT's '69 Cougar with a newer Ford V8 (Revell's Foose FD100 or Shelby Series 1?), or the Tamiya Nissan 240ZG with an RB-series stright-six engine. I'll use the remaining Christmas holiday period to have a look at them and see how easy it will be to perform the upgrades I have in mind.

What I like about both is that the base vehicles could have run in the 1971 event. Also, they'll also be eligible for one of the other community builds on here.

I'm going with a revell mk2 golf. To give me a little more leaway on wheels space I decided to use the zender version as it was available from vw so would be classed as a factory option. I'll be trying to stick to only vw parts so will be using a printed r32 engine and 6 speed box with a small/medium sized turbo for drivability. Suspension will probably be airlift performance bags a its cheapers than a hls system like is fitted on supercars but still includes top quality coilovers, just with the spring replaced with a bag and is again a bolt on. Since i detest how revell did the engine bay on the mk2 kits I'll be replacing it with a 3d printed version which has none of the bottles and stuff molded in. I'm going to try and keep the look as 1980s so will probably install a heckblende (coloured extension to make the rear lights appear to cover the entire width of the rear) and a window louvre. Wheels will probably be bbs or upsized oem 3 piece of some sort

DSC04401.JPG

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Spottedlaurel said:

Thanks Enzo! It's a tricky one this year, but I think you've come up some guidance there that we can take in the right spirit and come up with something that isn't just a rehash of previous CBRs.

I'm currently swaying between AMT's '69 Cougar with a newer Ford V8 (Revell's Foose FD100 or Shelby Series 1?), or the Tamiya Nissan 240ZG with an RB-series stright-six engine. I'll use the remaining Christmas holiday period to have a look at them and see how easy it will be to perform the upgrades I have in mind.

What I like about both is that the base vehicles could have run in the 1971 event. Also, they'll also be eligible for one of the other community builds on here.

Thank you! This year's Run has a certain challenge to it, to be sure. But, like all challenges, I believe that it will bring out the best in everyone and push some of us, myself included, to go beyond our current knowledge to elevate our skills to achieve the final result we envisage.

Gonna go with the Gremmy. Try to fit a L99 out of a 2010 Camaro for better gas mileage and reliability than the 75 V-8 offering. Gonna try and use some other goodies out of the Maro for comfort. First time trying to kitbash to this level, should be fun.

IMG_1844.JPG.a2b11eb5b13fbefb35b0e10d79d08a36.JPG

• Like 2

Made an interesting discovery while scrounging parts. May not be news to some of you more learned, but the GTX uses the same identical chassis and running gear, same basic trees, same part numbers as the Dukes/Joker Monaco.

AMT-38157-2T.jpg.04951f792d786e9d1461df0d22b64653.jpg 3a06ed5dd183dfe76d2aa36ca27dfec9.jpg.b107612bd92d77e44a18de0504f1b607.jpg s-l300.jpg.e9dbb71b642a448989ef099e7d733c15.jpg

While not identical, the Dukes Charger chassis is very similar aside from some minor surface details, like exhaust pipe.

41paOefidZL._SX300_QL70_.jpg.fc29914a316890413f0728048fb13f97.jpg

So if the AMT '71 Charger can swap into the GTX, then it will likely also fit the Monaco. Also means I can use some parts across kits without leaving one incomplete, so I might be using the four deep dish steelies from the Monaco.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Lunajammer said:

Made an interesting discovery while scrounging parts. May not be news to some of you more learned, but the GTX uses the same identical chassis and running gear, same basic trees, same part numbers as the Dukes/Joker Monaco.

AMT-38157-2T.jpg.04951f792d786e9d1461df0d22b64653.jpg 3a06ed5dd183dfe76d2aa36ca27dfec9.jpg.b107612bd92d77e44a18de0504f1b607.jpg s-l300.jpg.e9dbb71b642a448989ef099e7d733c15.jpg

While not identical, the Dukes Charger chassis is very similar aside from some minor surface details, like exhaust pipe.

41paOefidZL._SX300_QL70_.jpg.fc29914a316890413f0728048fb13f97.jpg

So if the AMT '71 Charger can swap into the GTX, then it will likely also fit the Monaco. Also means I can use some parts across kits without leaving one incomplete, so I might be using the four deep dish steelies from the Monaco.

You can use the chassis interior inner fenders  , a pillars and part of the roof to make it more accurate.. The 73 74 Roadrunner had an isolated  torsion bar and k member mount but it still better than the kit pieces.

• Like 1

OK, after a bit of rummaging through the stash I'm in with the Tamiya Nissan 240ZG:

IMG_8033.JPG.d8feb7fbc619afb92b34d489fac4ec63.JPG

I shall be fitting an RB26 straight-six out of a Skyline GT-R. Needs converting to 2wd, but doesn't look too difficult with a bit of parts box engineering and cutting/filling. Seen images of a few such transplants at 1:1 so it's clearly a feasible swap, just need to keep the appearance looking restored rather than overly modified, so I'll choose a period colour.

The Tamiya kit is already very nicely detailed, but I happened to find the Hobby Design detail-up set on eBay so I'll add whatever I can from that.

Kind of a shame to lose the well-detailed standard L24 engine, but I can make good use of that on something else and it makes sense to start with the best version of the Z. It's way ahead of those from anyone else, and it's still readily available if I want to build one more standard.

Using the ZG gives me the aero nose, which will hopefully gain a few MPH, and arch flares to cover wider rubber.

Now waiting for the start date!

• Like 1

I'll be dialing the time machine a bit further back than the posts so far.
My build will be the AMT '57 Ford Fairlane.
I will be stretching the rules a bit on body mods because I can't fathom keeping the 300 pound Edsel rear bumper. I have an idea though that should keep the rules committee happy.
The engine is a 5.0 that I pulled from a previous build that didn't deserve the shelf space any more.

IMG_20231229_082749890.jpg

• Like 1

We're still three days away from the start, and we already have nine entrants (I would be the tenth, but I'm still waiting for my kit to arrive)!

Updated Entry List:

1. 1990 Ford Mustang (Fat Brian)
  2. 1974 Plymouth GTX (Lunajammer)
  3. VW Golf MK2 (stitchdup)
  4. 1975 AMC Gremlin (Tim08)
  5. Nissan 240ZG (Spottedlaurel)
  6. 1957 Ford Fairlane (MeatMan)
  7. 1965 Buick Riveira (Keef)
  8. 1990 Ford Mustang LX (53gmc)
  9. 1967 Pontiac GTO (Pat Minarick)