Model Cars Magazine Forum

Do I build it?

Just finished my box art 40 and reassembled two 40 coupes from that parts stash I got earlier this year,well after looking for some parts I found another decent coupe and it looks like I have all the parts.  Thinking about another shine hauler and might see if I can get that Alantis version of the Caddy engine to fit,kind of want to leave it alone and just continue the paint on the hood trim where the original builder left off.  I might try to get at it before winter is over but have others started that I should finish first.

IMG_20231229_194618889.jpg

If it is molded in black it is very possibly an original issue. The first kit I got in 1959 was a 40 Coupe and it was molded in black.  Don't know when they changed the color of the styrene to blue, brown, orange or whatever other color has been used. My suggestion is give it a good cleaning, drop in the Caddy and a couple cased of jars in the trunk. That is a nice looking body to work with.

I have more than a few '40 Ford kits. I like the AMT ones over the Revell kits. I call them a blank canvas. I have a blue box art one started, no others in the queue. I have an unused Y-block fro a '56 Ford kit that would be nice to use. I should start gathering parts for another one.

On 1/2/2024 at 8:23 AM, bobss396 said:

I have more than a few '40 Ford kits. I like the AMT ones over the Revell kits. I call them a blank canvas. I have a blue box art one started, no others in the queue. I have an unused Y-block fro a '56 Ford kit that would be nice to use. I should start gathering parts for another one.

The 57 Thunderbird is a good engine to use because of the short transmission. FYI

On 12/29/2023 at 7:12 PM, junkyardjeff said:

Just finished my box art 40 and reassembled two 40 coupes from that parts stash I got earlier this year,well after looking for some parts I found another decent coupe and it looks like I have all the parts.  Thinking about another shine hauler and might see if I can get that Alantis version of the Caddy engine to fit,kind of want to leave it alone and just continue the paint on the hood trim where the original builder left off.  I might try to get at it before winter is over but have others started that I should finish first.

IMG_20231229_194618889.jpg

Built on of these when they were first released. I removed the trunk handle and sort of shaved the trim off the trunk. These were done in a good grade of black plastic. I used some automotive rubbing compound on the areas that I had sanded. When finished the work I had done could not be seen. Consider polishing the body and then decide if you want to paint it.