Model Cars Magazine Forum

R5 Turbo

Brudda

A Tamiya R5 Renault. It’s a very simple kit. As I’m waiting for parts on the big scale cars. And waiting on a 1/8 Mercedes F1car. So I have a little breathing room for a simple build. Modified the suspension. Lowered the car a lot. The paint is a toner from bmw paint system. Kind of a copper, bronze color. Next is the masking of the black trim , which is quite a bit. I like the Renault R5 turbo . Have a soft spot for the real car. When I was vintage racing my Shelby at laguna seca, in practice this little car would give my Shelby fits. I would pull it in the straight but in the corners, this car was incredible. Meaning kick my rear. I won this kit at the Fremont IPMS raffle. So I’m giving it a try. Wish I had a real one. Here goes. 

IMG_9689.jpeg

IMG_9643.jpeg

IMG_9636.jpeg

• Like 5

Small but mean car, they sit very low. In the late 80s earls 90s I lived in the same neighbourhood as Michele Mouton, she drove an R5 Turbo as her everyday car.I just looked at the car and found out later who she was. According to Volvo's engineers who worked with Renault, these cars were very well built (unlike the others?) and a pure prestige project which was allowed to be a loss-making business.

• Like 1

I will be bringing one to a bringatrailer auction this year if my client agrees on the reserve. Saw the car in his warehouse - wonderful little red thing. I still get goosebumps seeing one, after watching them in FIA rallies on TV.

• Like 1

On 1/1/2024 at 4:11 AM, Spottedlaurel said:

Looks good so far!

I built one a few years ago, also just changed the wheels and lowered it (not as much as you though). Went together really well and still looks good in the cabinet.

Thank you Spottedlaurel.

On 1/1/2024 at 8:23 AM, Ulf said:

Small but mean car, they sit very low. In the late 80s earls 90s I lived in the same neighbourhood as Michele Mouton, she drove an R5 Turbo as her everyday car.I just looked at the car and found out later who she was. According to Volvo's engineers who worked with Renault, these cars were very well built (unlike the others?) and a pure prestige project which was allowed to be a loss-making business.

Hello Ulf. I am now looking at a real one to import. We get a one time exemption here in Nevada for cars over 25 years old. But a friend said it’s the whole USA. The car is in Italy. But looking at several others also. I also found a bmw 3.0 cs. And then there’s the Japanese market. Hard to pick just one car. 

6 hours ago, Blueprint said:

I will be bringing one to a bringatrailer auction this year if my client agrees on the reserve. Saw the car in his warehouse - wonderful little red thing. I still get goosebumps seeing one, after watching them in FIA rallies on TV.

Hello Blueprint, hmmmmm can you send me a pic? 

On 12/31/2023 at 10:18 PM, Brudda said:

A Tamiya R5 Renault. It’s a very simple kit. As I’m waiting for parts on the big scale cars. And waiting on a 1/8 Mercedes F1car. So I have a little breathing room for a simple build. Modified the suspension. Lowered the car a lot. The paint is a toner from bmw paint system. Kind of a copper, bronze color. Next is the masking of the black trim , which is quite a bit. I like the Renault R5 turbo . Have a soft spot for the real car. When I was vintage racing my Shelby at laguna seca, in practice this little car would give my Shelby fits. I would pull it in the straight but in the corners, this car was incredible. Meaning kick my rear. I won this kit at the Fremont IPMS raffle. So I’m giving it a try. Wish I had a real one. Here goes. 

IMG_9689.jpeg

IMG_9643.jpeg

IMG_9636.jpeg

IMG_9690.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Wrapping her up. Needs license plates, clean up but it’s just about there. Nothing hard about this build but somehow I made it hard. For some reason , problem after problem. Not the kit but me. First problem was the first paint job was rushed with a heat gun and melted the whole roof. Fixed that, then IMG_9732.thumb.jpeg.f9c5320558f05d1897d0b929a1600460.jpega string of super glue was on the glass. So I rubbed her out and then the windshield cracked. Etc , etc. I was ready to put her into the trash but just kept building. Here she is so far. 

IMG_9730.jpeg

IMG_9729.jpeg

16 minutes ago, rrb124@sbcglobal.net said:

Have only seen a 1:1 once back years ago. It was black and fast and sounded mean. Didn't know that a kit existed. Sharp!!

Thank you sir. I did not either. Won this at a raffle. Cool kit but it’s curbside. Which is ok as the engine is in the rear and buried. 

image.jpg