Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 63 Riviera

This was with that bunch of parts I picked up early last year and is going to get restored,going to remove the side pipes and repaint and the chassis is definitely going to be painted.  It has a incomplete engine and have one coming and might see if I can get a nicer set of bumpers.  I am also going to see if I can find some stock wheel covers or ralley wheels.

IMG_20240107_164044714.jpg

IMG_20240107_164112763.jpg

IMG_20240107_164123585.jpg

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, junkyardjeff said:

I do not have the parts to fix it but have them on the way,I have a complete unbuilt 65 engine on the way that should have the parts I need.

Jeff, have you compared the '65 engine to that one? From the ones I've seen the earlier kit engines look a bit smaller then the '65 up but don't have one for comparison.

Also, I've been told the '63/'64 kit front bumper/park light parts are not quite the same as the '65 so it doesn't fit, but then again, I don't have one to compare.

BUT, can't wait to see what you do with it as I'm a Riviera fan and have owned a couple in the past. [can't afford one now, they're too popular]

On 1/8/2024 at 12:01 AM, Can-Con said:

Jeff, have you compared the '65 engine to that one? From the ones I've seen the earlier kit engines look a bit smaller then the '65 up but don't have one for comparison.

Also, I've been told the '63/'64 kit front bumper/park light parts are not quite the same as the '65 so it doesn't fit, but then again, I don't have one to compare.

BUT, can't wait to see what you do with it as I'm a Riviera fan and have owned a couple in the past. [can't afford one now, they're too popular]

I would have thought they shared the same tooling for the engine, but I have all three, so I can check tomorrow.

• Like 1

Looks your engine is pretty much complete for the custom or drag version minus the fan belt, fan, and generator (delcotron) 

according to the instructions !

https://public.fotki.com/drasticplasticsmcc/mkiba-build-under-c/amt-instructions/automotive-cars--pi/buick/amt_1963_buick_rivi/1963_rivierra_amt_2.html#media

Edited by milo1303s

Here we are then - Steve was correct, the '63/'64 engines are the same, but the '65 was retooled.  The earlier ones have a partial Dynaflow transmission. '65 has a passing resemblance to a four speed.   The '65 also has a timing cover/water pump/crossover part, which is completely absent in the earlier kits.

Rivparts-vi.jpg

The '63/'64 engines measure 21.8mm along the deck and the heads are 21.6mm long; the '65 block is 21.5mm along the deck and the heads are only 20.2mm long.

On 1/8/2024 at 12:01 AM, Can-Con said:

They will fit onto the '65 body, as will the grille, but the '65 headlight pods are taller, so you'd have a gap at the top. 

Rivparts2-vi.jpg

On 1/7/2024 at 7:15 PM, junkyardjeff said:

Probably just use the whole 65 engine but are the optional Buick engine in the 40 Ford kits similarly made.  I noticed all the Ford FE engines of that era were similar except the trans.

I'm doing a '40 Ford now and am using the Buick engine... which is like meh and far not accurate... It needed a ton of work to look decent. I have swapped other engines into the '40 but unless you are in for a lot of "plastic surgery" on the chassis, best option is to saw off the transmission from another donor engine and use the '40 transmission.

I have scavenged the AMT '66 Riviera kit for the nailheads. I also have a '62 Buick kit I should look at. 

2 hours ago, junkyardjeff said:

Getting closer and need to figure out what to do with the bumpers as the chrome is about gone, probably will strip and paint with chrome paint 

IMG_20240121_095325683.jpg

Love that color blue! Looks great on that body.