Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1958 Edsel in two tone

karbuildr

I built this a couple of years ago. I believe it's the first issue of this kit since it was in my stash for quite a while. It's painted in Testors enamel light sky blue (flat) in the 1/4 oz. bottle, and the darker blue is Testors enamel Blue Angles Blue. I cleared it with Testors Boyds enamel clear and looking at the chassis photo, you can see the difference between the color shift on the body and the uncleared section of over spray on the frame. I wanted to give it a bit of a low rider stance, so I swapped out the wheels and tires from one of the Revell Tuner cars that I'd been saving for a while. Most of those kits Revell put out had more than one set of wheels included. This is a very well detailed kit, with one of the nicest frame/chassis and engines I've ever worked on. It took a bunch of bare metal foil. I even managed to foil the "Edsel" lettering on the rear body area without mucking up the paint.

DSCN0376 (2)a.jpg

DSCN0377 (2)a.jpg

DSCN0379 (2)a.jpg

DSCN0387 (2)a.jpg

DSCN0383 (2)a.jpg

DSCN0385 (2)a.jpg

• Like 7

I agree with everyone else on the beautiful looking paint work. The chrome trim is also well done. There used to be a lot of rude jokes about the Edsel styling when new, but I always liked how they looked so detective. With the wheel and tire combination along with the stance I really like how this looks. 

Donato, Glen, Hanjo, Chris, Andreas, Jeff, James, Lee, David, Steve, Terry, Mario and Harry, thank you all for the kind compliments. I always liked these cars even though they took a lot of criticism on the styling.