Model Cars Magazine Forum

What would a car modelers Hades be like:

Plastic injection molding machines were never invented.

Model manufacturers  give you a box ( with incredible artwork on the top ) but inside is a block of wood.

The instructions say " take block of wood, ...make look like car".

Edited by Little Timmy
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Little Timmy said:

Plastic injection molding machines were never invented.

Model manufacturers  give you a box ( with incredible artwork on the top ) but inside is a block of wood.

The instructions say " take block of wood, ...make look like car".

That's the way it really was when I was a kid, back in the days we had to walk to school barefoot in the snow, uphill both ways...

I do remember a model railroad company  actually doing the block of wood kits.

Just a picture of what you were supposed to build, no instructions whatsoever.

I attempted one once, but as a 10 year old using Grandpa's band saw to rip individual planks from the block, I gave up on the passenger car it was "supposed" to be and managed just a flatcar.... and it wasn't pretty either.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Little Timmy said:

I do remember a model railroad company  actually doing the block of wood kits.

Just a picture of what you were supposed to build, no instructions whatsoever.

I attempted one once, but as a 10 year old using Grandpa's band saw to rip individual planks from the block, I gave up on the passenger car it was "supposed" to be and managed just a flatcar.... and it wasn't pretty either.

IIRC, this Ford kit was similar, but not quite that bad. circa 1949

Pretty much just a block of wood, profile-cut with a bandsaw, some wire for axles, maybe a molded part or 5, and minimal instructions.

image.png.bb8560420e30cd1836f5a5ce16044f42.png

This is a WW II 6X6 CCKW.

image.png.7638e68c5ebd2b7f67496b400f527010.png

Model railroad kits were often similar too, with the clerestory part of passenger cars, for example, requiring carving, shaping, sanding, and sealing prior to painting. Most of 'em came out pretty awful.

I've been collecting wooden RR "craftsman" kits from the '50s through the '70s. They're essentially just a box of sticks and blocks of wood, usually cut to length but not always accurately, sometimes with a few cast metal or plastic detail parts, and it really takes some effort to make a nice model...but it IS possible, and it's very satisfying if you have patience and enjoy a challenge. Below is a 70 foot Missouri Pacific refrigerator car. Modelers today really do have it pretty good.  :D

image.png.20d55ef0c84c271c3d459ad35f2a8ab9.png

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

1 minute ago, NYLIBUD said:

Not only must you read all the instructions,you have to memorize them too.😈And after you have to take a 100 multiple choice questions exam.

You must also write a 2000 word essay on the real-world function of every part you model.

• Haha 1

All part numbers are the same..

" take B-34, and attach to B-34."

" put sub assembly aside ".

" now take part B-34 and attach  to B-34. Attach  assembly beneath part B-34 and with a twisting motion break part B-34 free of subassembly."

"You should now have a spare part B-34 "

• Haha 2