Model Cars Magazine Forum

1955 Mille Miglia Mercedes 300SLR

2 hours ago, Pierre Rivard said:

Tamiya... I need relief from complicated builds after the Alfa 8C, Ferrari 250swb and MB 300SLR...

I'm with you, Pierre - after the GTO and the Lancia turbo which gave me more headaches than expected, I need a simple one in between.

• Like 1

Hello Pierre,

Your progress looks awesome my friend!!!!   Had no idea that this car had the "in board" drum brakes at front and rear!!!!

The wheels look great,  Jason said he would get to work on my order when he returns from vacation.

Randy

13 hours ago, Randy D said:

Hello Pierre,

Your progress looks awesome my friend!!!!   Had no idea that this car had the "in board" drum brakes at front and rear!!!!

The wheels look great,  Jason said he would get to work on my order when he returns from vacation.

Randy

Thanks Randy. As soon as my wheels arrive I'll paint/weather a set and post here. I think they should be a good candidate for your Maserati.

52 minutes ago, Pierre Rivard said:

Car is done, just waiting not so patiently for the wheels to make it across the pond. 😐

My bad, I thought you had the wheels when you posted what they looked like. Must be coming on an old steamship that barely floats.

Well done Pierre - I'm glad that I took a last look into the forum before going to sleep.

This one has the definitive "end-of-race" look without being battered or damaged - the wheels turned out fantastic - did you use the kit tires (or are these amt Firestones with rubbed off side lettering) ? IIRC, Mercedes used Continental rubber back then.

Edited by 1959scudetto

18 hours ago, 1959scudetto said:

Well done Pierre - I'm glad that I took a last look into the forum before going to sleep.

This one has the definitive "end-of-race" look without being battered or damaged - the wheels turned out fantastic - did you use the kit tires (or are these amt Firestones with rubbed off side lettering) ? IIRC, Mercedes used Continental rubber back then.

The kit tires (Dunlop Racing) are very nice but a bit too big in my opinion. Saving them for another project and used Firestones with lettering rubbed off just as you said.

17 hours ago, MarkJ said:

Looks amazing, Pierre. The wheels are the icing on the cake. Let us know when final presentation is ready to be viewed in the under-glass section.

Coming shortly!

16 hours ago, Rattlecan Dan said:

Gorgeous. Just gorgeous. Prize modeling.

Thanks Donato. Not quite but this old brush painter is happy with the results.

13 hours ago, Gramps46 said:

Very authentic looking in appearance.  Now just dab a few drops of oil underneath and you will have the smell too for a truly accurate experience.

Thanks Gary!

8 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

What a beauty, Pierre! The wheels just complete it. Everything looks just right--weathering--all of it. Excellent work, my friend!

Thank you Daniel. I cannot take credit for the wheels other than providing lots of pictures and sketches to Jason who designed and printed them for me. They make a huge difference and add so much realism.

• Like 1