Model Cars Magazine Forum

This question comes up occasionally. (Not if you are insane but how many kits is too many) If you have room, can afford it, don't feel pressure from having "too much stuff", and your significant other does not object then you can't have too many.

How many do you need? N+1

You only live once.

Edited by redscampi
  • Like 6

Answer #1 - I have plans to build every model I've got.

Answer #2 - I won't be able to build every one I've got in my life time.

I do enjoy looking through my stash to decide which model I'll build next. Nice to have a lot of choices.

• Like 8

49 minutes ago, TonyK said:

I do enjoy looking through my stash to decide which model I'll build next. Nice to have a lot of choices.

Sometimes I feel like I live in an old-school hobby shop...and that's OK by me.  :D

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Topher,  you're new here, but this is a model car forum full of plastic addicts.  You should know better to ask such a loaded question. :D

Size of your stash threads are started here quite regularly.  Some members have thousand kits or more.  Here is such thread I found in a quick search for "stash".  And this one is one is not ll that over-the-top.

2 hours ago, TonyK said:

I agree with the above, but find myself buying a duplicate kit to build so I will still have one in the stash.

Edited by bytownshaker
incomplete sentence
  • Like 6

How many kits do I need?  I don’t know.  How many are there??😁

The only real problem I have with having a lot of kits is that they can be distracting.  It can contribute to not finishing builds, because I always want to start the next one before I’m done with the last.  Squirrel syndrome.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

These are all my current kits minus couple near work bench.  Only got so much space in this apartment lol so lot of these are front to back. Recent kits I've purchased have been the Moebius batman bat-pod, and tumbler, and a new gundam kit.

image.thumb.jpeg.401f4d4682f688d72c549163150e5db8.jpegIMG_1937.thumb.jpeg.672bc6ee3e7639902c966a3ef054212f.jpegIMG_1935.thumb.jpeg.c1395228d618f253d80298a09005c89b.jpegIMG_1934.thumb.jpeg.ef13864b674a62fe4091c87deee5cbae.jpegIMG_1936.thumb.jpeg.9c7cd1e685e6577d35f8e17f2c1c7009.jpeg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, bytownshaker said:

I agree with the above, but find myself buying a duplicate kit to build so I will still have one in the stash.

I do that as well. :) My concern has been if there is not another run of that kit and they become hard to find, which means collector prices. The revell hobbico meltdown is another example.   

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mike 1017 said:

Looking forward, what is gonna happen to my all my kits when I die?

Mike

That one crosses my mind, my garage with my 65 F100 and all the tools as well. My Wife will have a huge estate sale and sell my kits for a few bucks each and be like wow I made a few grand!!😫😪 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Gary Chastain said:

Geez, I need to get more kits, I am behind you guys. I only have 52 truck kits, over 30 trailers and two drawers full of aftermarket resin cabs and parts. Oh, and not counting the car kits I have 

To be fair...trucks and trailers take up a lot of room!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mike 1017 said:

Mike

My wife already told me... they're all going in the garbage.

Uh uh... told her I've already made plans to get rid of them to friends and forum members.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, BlackSheep214 said:

And my wife tells me I'm a "hoarder". 

I tell her; "Really? Have you looked at your shoes collection lately??? Half of them you don't even wear!!!!"

There was a very attractive woman I was getting involved with a couple decades back, but when she asked why I had "so many cars", and I explained that restoring, modifying, and driving interesting stuff was one of my hobbies, it became pretty obvious she'd be putting a stop to that particular bit of man-foolishness as soon as she got the keys to the kingdom.

Needless to say, she never did, as when I made it clear just exactly what "love me, love my dog" means to a hardcore car guy, she moved on to become somebody else's boss.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gary Chastain said:

Geez, I need to get more kits, I am behind you guys. I only have 52 truck kits, over 30 trailers and two drawers full of aftermarket resin cabs and parts. Oh, and not counting the car kits I have  IMG_1754.jpeg.f351602af7956d72de312e417bae1d89.jpegIMG_1755.jpeg.3e3c7fbc15a95a427d02b495b96d45db.jpeg

Those straps in the 2nd pic on the trailer - what aftermarket brand are those or did you make em yourself? I've seen a set like that before, but don't remember where.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mike 1017 said:

Mike

Do you really want to know? Because it is rarely a pretty picture. 

I have helped liquidate two collections and it was no fun. My friends are gone and it is not their problem anymore, it is now the survivors problem, and it is a lot of work. 

• Like 1

This is just a " best guess" for my un-built , still in box stash.

At my last count, about 300 or so automotive kits.

As far as model trains go, probably 200.

Everything else, ( planes, ships, tanks, figures, ) around 50.

And the built kits scattered all over my shop, ... 80 ???

• Like 1