Model Cars Magazine Forum

I know of a few "modelers" whose collections are staggering, one is around 1000 kits, another is over 5000... and they don't build. One guy I know for 25 years, I never saw him build anything, yet he constantly buys.

I went to a show last year as a vendor. I brought 120 kits to sell. Came home with around 80 of them. But the good deals did sell. I would have to take a count, I'll estimate that I have 250 unbuilts and 25 projects, some stalled for close to 20 years. I would like to get the herd thinned to around 100.

• Like 2

I'm very fortunate, my wife is very into cars, her father owned a Drag strip which she managed the year it won NED track of the year, he also ran numerous ISCA car shows.

Edited by bytownshaker
spelling error
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Daddyfink said:

Do you really want to know? Because it is rarely a pretty picture. 

I have helped liquidate two collections and it was no fun. My friends are gone and it is not their problem anymore, it is now the survivors problem, and it is a lot of work. 

Yes I would like to know. Do I want to burden my family with liquidating my stuff or just dump all of it into the recycling bin? 

Mike

17 minutes ago, Mike 1017 said:

Yes I would like to know. Do I want to burden my family with liquidating my stuff or just dump all of it into the recycling bin? 

Mike

If you're part of a model club, donate it to them. They know exactly what they are dealing with, can sell your stuff to members or at shows, and can even deal with partly-built kits. The monetary gain can go to your family, to the club, or a charity, in any ratio you like.

We experienced the above in our club during 2023: two members passed away, and a third fell ill. We handled some 125 kits and 400 books, plus paint, tools and more. It wasn't always easy emotionally, but we found new homes to nearly everything, and that felt good.

Rob

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Mike 1017 said:

Mike

It doesn't have to be an either/or situation, as robdebie explains below.

And if you're not in a club, surely you know someone who you would like to leave your modeling stuff to en masse.

For that matter, people on this very board have distributed everything model-related they had to other members here when they decided to leave the hobby permanently...a much better solution for all parties involved than just dumping your possibly loved, lifetime hobby in the trash.

7 minutes ago, robdebie said:

If you're part of a model club, donate it to them. They know exactly what they are dealing with, can sell your stuff to members or at shows, and can even deal with partly-built kits. The monetary gain can go to your family, to the club, or a charity, in any ratio you like.

We experienced the above in our club during 2023: two members passed away, and a third fell ill. We handled some 125 kits and 400 books, plus paint, tools and more. It wasn't always easy emotionally, but we found new homes to nearly everything, and that felt good.

Rob

At one point I had about 400 unbuilt kit, around 120 built ones, and 40-50 parts kits. I sold all of it to finish building my 1:1 79 Firebird and regretted it almost immediately. Got into RC rock crawling for a few years then went to a car show one day and bought a few kits in the swap meet section. Now I’m back into it and have a few kits but there is no number that will ever be enough. 

IMG_9036.png

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mike 1017 said:

Mike

The first collection was a Club Member who became incapacitated and had to go into a care facility. We managed to sell off quite a bit of his collection in chunks, donated some to the Military Rec Centers overseas and gave away supplies and partial kits to club members. 

The second was a much larger collection, between kit shows and ebay, the collection was liquidated, but it did take some time and effort. HIs family handled ebay and I did the kit shows. Took almost two years to sell it off.

I know when you are gone it is not your problem anymore, but those left behind get to clean it up. Hence why I am about to start cutting my stuff back. And I know I am above the 2K mark with my kits. Would be nice to stop paying for a Mini Storage every month! LOL! 

1 hour ago, Keef said:

At one point I had about 400 unbuilt kit, around 120 built ones, and 40-50 parts kits. I sold all of it to finish building my 1:1 79 Firebird and regretted it almost immediately. Got into RC rock crawling for a few years then went to a car show one day and bought a few kits in the swap meet section. Now I’m back into it and have a few kits but there is no number that will ever be enough. 

IMG_9036.png

Yah I take breaks from building and have entertained selling off stuff but I know I will regret it. 

I'm so glad my wife and daughter like my kits as much as I do. I suggested several to give to my brother but my wife kept saying "he can't have that one" so I stopped. She said she isn't selling any of them either. They are on prominent display on high shelves throughout the living and dining rooms. Everyone who visits seems to like them. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Tabbysdaddy said:

I'm so glad my wife and daughter like my kits as much as I do. I suggested several to give to my brother but my wife kept saying "he can't have that one" so I stopped. She said she isn't selling any of them either. They are on prominent display on high shelves throughout the living and dining rooms. Everyone who visits seems to like them. 

Does your wife have a sister....😁...jk

• Haha 6

I am a builder and a collector. I collect faster than I build :) . Over 40 years I have amassed roughly 2000 unbuilt kits (800 in the ceiling of my basement model room) and built roughly 700 kits.

I am lucky that my wife is very into vintage 1:1 cars and TOLERATES my models.

Space and storage are always an issue. 

Ceiling.jpg

Edited by Carmak
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, Carmak said:

I am a builder and a collector. I collect faster than I build :) . Over 40 years I have amassed roughly 2000 unbuilt kits (800 in the ceiling) and built roughly 700 kits.

Ceiling.jpg

So, your room is insulated with model kits. Cool.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

It doesn't have to be an either/or situation, as robdebie explains below.

And if you're not in a club, surely you know someone who you would like to leave your modeling stuff to en masse.

For that matter, people on this very board have distributed everything model-related they had to other members here when they decided to leave the hobby permanently...a much better solution for all parties involved than just dumping your possibly loved, lifetime hobby in the trash.

Another potential solution; One of the best hobby shops in this area is the gift shop at an aviation museum just outside of town. They have a good selection of car kits and supplies, but their selection of aircraft kits must one of the best in the country. A few aircraft builders with huge stashes have donated their kits to the museum as they passed on. This way their stash of kits gets in the hands of other builders/collectors with minimum fuss for the surviving family members while at the same time their hard-won stashes are supporting the museum and the restoration work done there on the display aircraft, a subject close to the heart of any aircraft builder. I have thought of doing the same, either finding a suitable car museum, or just donating to the aircraft museum, as a small-time museum doing restoration work on any vintage machinery is something I can get behind.

• Like 2

On 1/17/2024 at 2:48 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

What always intrigues me is the guys who brag on how much stuff they've got but never ever post a build.

Yeah, it's a free country, but come on, man.  ;)

My wife collects antique glassware Heaven forbid that I make a Rum and Coke in one of them. The world would stop spinning.  I am gonna ask the question in Off Topic are you just a collector or a builder?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mike 1017 said:

My wife collects antique glassware Heaven forbid that I make a Rum and Coke in one of them. The world would stop spinning.  I am gonna ask the question in Off Topic are you just a collector or a builder?

Sadly, I buy faster than I build. I used to wait, but sometimes the kits would be off the shelves by the time I looked for them, so now I buy when I find them. And it is so hard to pass up a good deal. So yeah, they add up! 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, bobss396 said:

This is what I brought to sell at a recent show. I had hoped to sell more. But other shows are coming up.

20231106_093911.jpg

I see at least 8 in that pic that I would have brought home with me 😂

I have around 350 kits. No time to build currently. I retire in 5 years. I buy what I want, a lot of resin, Etzel,Lance Sellers , also vintage kits. I have some rare stuff also. Once 9 to 5 is over, I build. My wife is younger than I am, so I'll build when she's working . She doesn't complain either.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Carmak said:

I am a builder and a collector. I collect faster than I build :) . Over 40 years I have amassed roughly 2000 unbuilt kits (800 in the ceiling of my basement model room) and built roughly 700 kits.

Ceiling.jpg

That's really cool.   Are the kits in the ceiling still accessible?  I have an unfinished basement and this might be just the ticket to reclaim some floor space. 

• Like 1

On 1/19/2024 at 6:48 PM, atomicholiday said:

That's really cool.   Are the kits in the ceiling still accessible?  I have an unfinished basement and this might be just the ticket to reclaim some floor space. 

Easy to get in and out. The joists are engineered I joists, 1 foot on center. I put 4" (3 1/2" actual) strips of wood on the bottom of the joists.

• Like 1