Model Cars Magazine Forum

Which air compressor?

Thank you guys. I’ve read so much here about air compressors and some say they should have air tanks. Others no. I had bought the Sparmax years ago but never tried airbrushing. About time I should. 

Edited by ewetwo

Air is air, as long as you can regulate the outlet pressure for an airbrush, which you can do with either one.  Either can have a moisture trap added.  Either can be adapted to any airbrush.  Does the airbrush specific one have a tank, or is it running all of the time during use?  

Set the pressure to 25-30 psi, the highest pressure to ever likely be used. Then flow air. You will see a slight pressure drop to 28-29 psi, if it maintains that drop number you got a winner.

I've used 30 psi with some enamels. And 25 regularly with enamels if to use enamel. Most likely both compressors will pass the test but it's good to know up front.

Edited by Dave G.

I've always found this question perplexing.  The answer is so dependent on the individuals situation. You really have to be much more specific about where and how you are going to use it.  Also other uses you may have for it.  Example.  I have a 10 gallon craftsman professional pancake compressor that puts out 150 psi.  I also have a single car garage that is my hobby space and I have plumbed it in under the length of my bench(10' long) so I can run different tools.  It is relatively loud.  You can actually talk over it but it is disruptive.  However it is perfect for my needs.  I can fill the tank once and paint for hours without running out of air, so it is mostly silent when I use it that way. I also have a secondary regulator with an water trap, that is very precise at low pressures.  It is also perfect for my nail gun, tire filler, and blowing off saw dust.  It didn't cost any more than a good airbrush compressor.   So my point is you can have different answers besides a single purpose airbrush compressor. 

1 hour ago, Pete J. said:

I've always found this question perplexing.  The answer is so dependent on the individuals situation. You really have to be much more specific about where and how you are going to use it.  Also other uses you may have for it.  Example.  I have a 10 gallon craftsman professional pancake compressor that puts out 150 psi.  I also have a single car garage that is my hobby space and I have plumbed it in under the length of my bench(10' long) so I can run different tools.  It is relatively loud.  You can actually talk over it but it is disruptive.  However it is perfect for my needs.  I can fill the tank once and paint for hours without running out of air, so it is mostly silent when I use it that way. I also have a secondary regulator with an water trap, that is very precise at low pressures.  It is also perfect for my nail gun, tire filler, and blowing off saw dust.  It didn't cost any more than a good airbrush compressor.   So my point is you can have different answers besides a single purpose airbrush compressor. 

It will be strictly for air brushing. I have a room in the basement dedicated to hobbies for me and my wife. I also have a paint booth to exhaust the air. But I have 3 compressors. LOL. The Sparmax. The Hyper Tough which had a small air tank which is in the pics. And a larger one that has a 5 gallon pancake tank LOL. 

15 hours ago, ewetwo said:

It will be strictly for air brushing. I have a room in the basement dedicated to hobbies for me and my wife. I also have a paint booth to exhaust the air. But I have 3 compressors. LOL. The Sparmax. The Hyper Tough which had a small air tank which is in the pics. And a larger one that has a 5 gallon pancake tank LOL. 

I would think the Sparmax should be fine. The pancake is noisy but you could air it up ahead of your session and shut it off. That's what I do with my 8 gal portable for airbrushing. It's a once a week air up kind of thing with the 8 gaL, so I listen to it bang away once a week or so. Meanwhile it's silent. I know nothing about the HyperTough.