Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1971 Mustang Mach 1 in stock now at...

1 hour ago, tim boyd said:

Trevor, that's one of the things I want to investigate. 

When Revell began this project, I told them that the '70 Torino GT/Cobra engine was a great place to start.  But they were dutifully looking for 1/1s to research and scale, and preferably ones that were out of the engine compartment (to allow more precision detail).  While I never heard back 100%, my presumption was that they were successful in their search.  

Best...TIM 

I do not have the Torino kit engine for comparison but from pictures I would have to say it looks similar.  The 385 series engine in the Cougar, Mustang and Torino whether a CJ or SCJ version would have many external similarities with the air cleaner non-ram air vs. non ram air, and carburetor (Holley vs. Rochester).  The best site for information is http://429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/information_2.htm

With the specifics about the movie car (429 C code non ram-air auto) and perhaps a reluctance from a cost standpoint to make the different parts just for the movie car version under the hood might explain the compromises.  One would only know if they were part of the process but I believe enough information was available but the final decisions should not detract from the fact that this kit and the additional variations surely to come will be welcome.

IMG_1235.jpeg

Edited by vamach1
  • Like 1

I reviewed the AMT/MPC 007 Mach1 kit about three years ago for a a local model club newsletter.  Needless to say I was less than excited about that one.  If anyone held off on buying one the wait for the Revell new tooling was worth it.

IMG_1237.jpeg

IMG_1238.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kelson said:

Just a question,what would be a good donor engine and exhaust system,if someone wanted to build a 71'Grande?.

The engine from the stock version of the Revell 76 Torino might be interesting. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Waldorf said:

I just got this in the mail and I am very disappointed. After the BOSS 351 version came out I was hoping for a Ram Air 429. It is a basic non optioned Mach 1 with a big block. What a waste. I took the big block out of the kit to use with the BOSS 351 kit to make the Ram Air. Neither kit had the rear window louvers and the Mach 1 has NO spoilers and basic wheels. I will never understand this one. Are they getting paid to advertise for a Bond movie that has been out for years?

It’s a replica of the movie car, which was a base Mach 1.   The kit is exactly as expected.  Maybe down the road they will do a loaded Ram Air Mach 1.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Waldorf said:

I just got this in the mail and I am very disappointed. After the BOSS 351 version came out I was hoping for a Ram Air 429. It is a basic non optioned Mach 1 with a big block. What a waste. I took the big block out of the kit to use with the BOSS 351 kit to make the Ram Air. Neither kit had the rear window louvers and the Mach 1 has NO spoilers and basic wheels. I will never understand this one. Are they getting paid to advertise for a Bond movie that has been out for years?

Hehe...how dare they provide exactly what's shown on the box, to match the car in the movie that they are licensed to promote?

I'll show my indignation by registering on this forum so I can voice my disgust in a single post...

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

6 hours ago, kelson said:

Just a question,what would be a good donor engine and exhaust system,if someone wanted to build a 71'Grande?.

I think you could have pretty much any engine you wanted in a Grande, including the 429 CJ. If you want a 302, the AMT '67 Mustang would be a good bet. If you want a 351 Cleveland, the Boss 351 version of this kit would be a good place to start, though the engine will need to be de-Bossed.

• Like 2

On 1/24/2024 at 9:03 AM, Rob Hall said:

A plain base Mustang, that would be different.  

You say different, I heard "ugly" (Lol). I knew a woman who had a base model convertible (73??). It was a pretty metallic blue, with a black interior & top, but it had hubcaps & no stripes or markings of any kind. And yes, it had the inline 6.

On 1/29/2024 at 9:18 PM, Robberbaron said:

Hehe...how dare they provide exactly what's shown on the box, to match the car in the movie that they are licensed to promote?

I'll show my indignation by registering on this forum so I can voice my disgust in a single post...

Imagine the response to an Eleanor version not being factory correct or not having non stock items.  For the record not a single 71-73 Mustang came with rear window louvers from Ford.  Any louvers seen on a car are aftermarket ones.  I plan to mix and match parts from the Boss 351 and the 007 kits to make whatever I want.

• Thanks 1

Is anyone looking into using Keith Marks' decals for the full Mach 1 treatment? I know they were designed for an old kit, but I'm wondering how well they would work on this new kit..... A deep burgundy with silver stripes would be pretty.

On 2/4/2024 at 4:43 PM, JollySipper said:

Is anyone looking into using Keith Marks' decals for the full Mach 1 treatment? I know they were designed for an old kit, but I'm wondering how well they would work on this new kit..... A deep burgundy with silver stripes would be pretty.

When I get a chance I can post the Keith Marks, Rays kits and Revell decals for comparison.  You would need the Mach1 decals for the fenders and trunk stripe from and aftermarket decal set if you want to do a Mach1 with the silver stripe option.

The first picture is the decal sheet available from Keith Marks.  They look dark silver but are actually like the Revell and AMT sets.  Mofobow@hotmail.com for order info

The second picture is the Boss 351 Revell silver portion of the sheet and the AMT decal sheet of the silver Mach1 stripes.  Perhaps they could be combined with the Boss 351 decals to make a Mach1 using the Revell kit.  The AMT decals looks a little smaller than the Revell ones.

The third sheet is the combo Boss 351/Mach1 sheet from Rayskits which can be printed in Silver instead of black upon request.  They are sold via the Facebook page by Joseph Morgan.

Please note the letting for the words Mach1, Boss 351 on the fenders and truck lid  and 351 or 429 ram air on the hood were always either black or silver lettering and were not white.

Hope this helps everyone.

IMG_1287.jpeg

IMG_1288.jpeg

IMG_1289.jpeg

Edited by vamach1
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Here's what I plan to with mine. I'll use the Magnums from the Boss 351 and I've procured an extra set of black side stripes. 

Then I'll use the wheels from the Mach 1 to build the middle car in the second pic. 

I will happily buy every kit Revell produces from this tooling. I'm looking forward to the Eleanor version. It's my understanding that four different versions were under consideration when Revell made the decision to produce the tooling; I wonder what the fourth one might be? 

FB_IMG_1707335376545.jpg

FB_IMG_1707345032894.jpg

Edited by Ken Hart
  • Like 3