Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Original Issue" '69 Torino Cobra

ReduitRetro

This particular model was built way back in '92, and is among some of the oldest in my collection. I wired and plumbed the engine, scratch built dual sport mirrors, hand painted the tire lettering,(something not required today with all the pad printed offerings), and was my very first model I used Bare Metal foil to replicate the chrome on. This original issue kit has managed to survive all these years because it resides in a large display case to keep dust, pets, kids, and grand kids, at bay. I do have the reissued AMT kit in my stash, and plan to build it soon. As always, thanks for stopping and looking!

2024-01-24 20.14.12.jpg

2024-01-24 20.05.22.jpg

2024-01-24 20.02.11.jpg

2024-01-24 20.15.43.jpg

2024-01-24 20.06.23.jpg

• Like 14

James, you caught my attention when you said "Original Issue 69 Cobra" so I had to take a look. I remember when this came out I got really excited and bought a whole bunch of them. However, and not to take away from your build in any way, this is not the original issue. The original issue was released in 1969 as a hardtop/convertible. Could be built either way with a separate hardtop. It was derived from the 1968 Torino Pace Car kit from the year before. This kit is actually a modified reissue of the 1969 Torino GT Fastback annual kit.

1118-6.jpg.8eb925784fb5a44f3efcec7eef2398e7.jpg

Anyhow, sorry for the history lesson but very happy to see your build and it looks fantastic. Looking forward to seeing what you do with the kit the second time around.

No problem LennyB, I figured it probably was not the "original" issue, but I was more or less talking about it in comparison to the newest release. Thanks for the history lesson though, as it looks like I was around 3 years old when the true original kit was for sale, lol!

• 1 month later...