Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ryder IH Loadstar Box Truck

This is the cab that was mastered by Charles Rowley and cast by AITM. It is the box from the Louisville Short Hauler and the frame from AMT Ford C Cab. The engine is from the AMT release of the old Ertl IH Scout. 
Here is the inspiration:

IMG_3104.jpeg.07ff5a5accc6ccf60750dfaa0cd0345e.jpeg

Here is the progress:

IMG_3262.jpeg.b3f9647d7fc91675c52a686b78f9f10c.jpegIMG_3261.jpeg.cd79c65d05042e59209c466b788eccf9.jpeg

• Like 9

Looks good already! It'll be fun making the tanks/steps and even the dash, provided you have some good reference material, like a Bodybuilder book or straight on photos.  I enjoyed it when I had to do it, a challenge is always good, though I think you've got the skills already and then some

I have to add that this Purplewave website is great for reference photos...  https://www.purplewave.com/auction/230823/item/DM2584/1965-International-Loadstar_1600-Ag_Trucks-Grain_Truck-Kansas

IMG_9014_zpsa9f5c377.jpg

Edited by hct728(Bob)
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, hct728(Bob) said:

Looks good already! It'll be fun making the tanks/steps and even the dash, provided you have some good reference material, like a Bodybuilder book or straight on photos.  I enjoyed it when I had to do it, a challenge is always good, though I think you've got the skills already and then some

Enjoying the research! Found this, it's 1965 again!

s-l1600.jpg

Newer cab, same livery

Trevon Haywood PhotoOnFlickr.jpg

Trees Lifting Truck

Edited by hct728(Bob)
added photo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, hct728(Bob) said:

Enjoying the research! Found this, it's 1965 again!

s-l1600.jpg

Newer cab, same livery

Trevon Haywood PhotoOnFlickr.jpg

Trees Lifting Truck

Thanks for posting the reference pictures. I wish that I would have seen that last one before I got this far. I had considered using those exact wheel, but decided to go with the spoke, as they seem to have been more common. Charles actually mastered the dash, door panels, seat and steering column, so I won’t have to scratch build any of that. 
I actually have a little experience with these. I put an engine in one of these outside with it 14 degrees. I was much younger then though.😀

Thanks again!

• Like 1

thats gonna look great. its sad Dave's (AITM) family are just sating on all his parts & molds and seems like they could care less about them.

Edited by yh70

That's gonna be sweet ! ,I have a Fleetstar cab from AITM thats been sitting around for awhile ,, are you going to open up the hood? The casting of my Fleetstar is super thick ,,don't know what I'm going to do ,,the version I have has the tilt nose,,I'll take a pic of it tomorrow

44 minutes ago, Scott Eriksen said:

That's gonna be sweet ! ,I have a Fleetstar cab from AITM thats been sitting around for awhile ,, are you going to open up the hood? The casting of my Fleetstar is super thick ,,don't know what I'm going to do ,,the version I have has the tilt nose,,I'll take a pic of it tomorrow

I have the Fleetstar as well and it is very thick. I will probably not open the hood on it. The Loadstar however is not thick at all. It should be fairly easy to butterfly the hood on this one.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

I have the Fleetstar as well and it is very thick. I will probably not open the hood on it. The Loadstar however is not thick at all. It should be fairly easy to butterfly the hood on this one.

That Loadstar should look good with that 345 gas engine in it!  

5 hours ago, dust collectors said:

I really like this idea, looking forward to watching it come together. Also curious about the race truck and hauler in the background. Would love to see some photos of that too.

Thanks! The Bullnose hauler is on page 7 of Under Glass and the Race Truck is on page 6 Under Glass. If I knew how to post a link, I would.

• Like 1

For those of you who might be interested, I have the master of the Loadstar.  Agreement with another good caster is in the works for getting the Loadstar cast again.  Here's the way the hood can be cut into three pieces and made to open butterfly style.  The hood is actually a separate piece from the rest of the cab.060.JPG.6b855e6c3d20da0019558cf592bcc955.JPG005.JPG.c1b2510190505c480ed9fae172cf8851.JPG

004.JPG.66ca56ee3593c39f3a096a038e7eb507.JPG

• Like 8

On 1/27/2024 at 11:27 AM, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

This is the cab that was mastered by Charles Rowley and cast by AITM. It is the box from the Louisville Short Hauler and the frame from AMT Ford C Cab. The engine is from the AMT release of the old Ertl IH Scout. 
Here is the inspiration:

IMG_3104.jpeg.07ff5a5accc6ccf60750dfaa0cd0345e.jpeg

Here is the progress:

IMG_3262.jpeg.b3f9647d7fc91675c52a686b78f9f10c.jpegIMG_3261.jpeg.cd79c65d05042e59209c466b788eccf9.jpeg

Wheels are spot on looking good 

Great to see this IH come to life in rental truck form Brian.  Will be following, I have one of these unbuilt pieces from AITM too. I like the fact that nothing is chrome on these Loadstars, great resin subjects. Also, a big thanks to Charles for covering this IH medium duty workhorse, it is a very nice piece. Those front wheels are very accurate for an IH, never seen those before in scale, must be a 3d piece?

48 minutes ago, leafsprings said:

Great to see this IH come to life in rental truck form Brian.  Will be following, I have one of these unbuilt pieces from AITM too. I like the fact that nothing is chrome on these Loadstars, great resin subjects. Also, a big thanks to Charles for covering this IH medium duty workhorse, it is a very nice piece. Those front wheels are very accurate for an IH, never seen those before in scale, must be a 3d piece?

Thanks! The front wheels are close, but not 100% accurate. They were something that I cobbled together. They started life as drive wheels that I think came with the Australian Revell W900. I cut them down and added rims and hubs.

• Like 1

Good start, I agree with going with the spoked wheels.  Something about the 6 holes doesn't look right for that cab, at least not from what I remember here in the northeast.  Good to hear they might be cast again, I meant to get one or two but put it off.....

Had one of those on the front end of a school bus back in 1979, 3rd day out the head gaskets blew on the 345.  Found out it wasn't me, that bus had a history of blowing head gaskets about weekly.  Heads were probably warped but the mechanics just kept putting in new gaskets.