Model Cars Magazine Forum

2024 24 hour build - Ridge Runner Pinto

I thought I would share my 2024, 24 Annual Model Build entry with you.  The build took place this weekend on Saturday the 27th at noon until Sunday the 28th at noon.  This was the 18th year for this event.  I have done all 18 years as I am one of the founding members of this event.  It wasn't an event 18 years ago, it was 5 friends getting together to build a new, untouched model in 24 hours and watching the Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona and various car movies.  We had such a blast that we decided to do it again the next year, and as they say, the rest is history.

This model is the Model King issue of what I believe is an MPC kit.  My box says AMT, but Scale Mates says MPC was the original version of this kit.  All I did this model prior to the 24 hour build was wash the parts.  I was able to finish in about 22 hours.  Color is Tamiya Maroon straight from the can.  The pictures of the finished model were taken immediately after it was finished.  I may tweak a few things and I may add a few sponsorship decals.  I may just leave it as it is and put it in a display case.

Thanks for looking.  Let me know what you think and let me know if you have any questions about the Annual 24 Hour Build.

image.png.601d8eddc1529c806c11c14ca66247f7.png

image.png.ae741d75083229ab44c0e73ec743f5d5.png

image.png.e3b44ad57753f8cb0b404cfc49a395f4.png

image.png.4d6c8584dc0946879da31363b912b9a3.png

image.png.14125ab4387e8130d29d9a680ed6d348.png

image.png.828816582ce6f7fea774b453a0c2b997.png

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Jim B said:

Nice job.  Well done.  Surprised it didn't take you 24 hours just to remove all the flash! :lol:

Thanks, Jim, and I know what you mean...lol.  Oddly enough, this really wasn't too bad of a kit.  Typical, sometimes vague instructions.  The kit parts themselves were surprisingly not too bad as far as flash goes.  Definitely had seam lines and ejector pin marks.  For a 24 hour build, I typically do not deal with them.  If they are going to be visible I will.  I'll scrape seams but seldom fill ejector pin marks.  I was also pleasantly surprised with the fit of everything.  All-in-all, it was a much better kit than I thought it would be.

On 1/29/2024 at 9:46 PM, dragstk said:

Thats a nice build, John. Its an impressive build, even more so by the fact you did it in 24 hours

On 1/30/2024 at 8:22 AM, Pierre Rivard said:

Wow...24 hours! Mighty impressive.

After 24 hours I am still circling around the box with apprehension...

Give me 24 days, now we're talking!

On 1/30/2024 at 11:16 AM, Rattlecan Dan said:

Very nice build John. Neat and clean. 

Thanks, guys, I appreciate your comments!

On 2/2/2024 at 9:45 AM, Tim08 said:

Good job John! I did that build back in 2011 or 12 over on the Mad Modeller site. Was a lot of fun.

Thanks, Tim!  A slightly sad fact; if you are talking about TMM on ProBoards, I am the sole administrator of that forum.  It just slowly died when the originator decided he didn't want to run it anymore.  I did my best to keep it running but I guess it just ran its course.  I think FB was the biggest reason for its demise.

On 2/2/2024 at 10:56 AM, ewetwo said:

Looks great John.

Thank you, David!

On 2/4/2024 at 8:11 AM, PappyD340 said:

Very nice!

Much appreciated, Larry

Yea that was TMM John. I remember Bobby dropped off and you took over. Man that was a fun site! I believe facebook really shot it down sadly. I remember coming back to it a few years back and we tried to fire things back up but it really didn't catch on. Them were some good times back in the day. That is my Vette on the Header. As matter of fact, I was the last one to post over there.  I do stop in from time to time just to see how many folks pass thru.

3 hours ago, Tim08 said:

Yea that was TMM John. I remember Bobby dropped off and you took over. Man that was a fun site! I believe facebook really shot it down sadly. I remember coming back to it a few years back and we tried to fire things back up but it really didn't catch on. Them were some good times back in the day. That is my Vette on the Header. As matter of fact, I was the last one to post over there.  I do stop in from time to time just to see how many folks pass thru.

I thought that might be you!  I definitely enjoyed your enthusiasm for that last round revival, but I think I knew deep down that TMM was near the end. Folks would join and flat out not participate.  The site is still there, I checked it today, just no movement.  Who knows, maybe someday it will take off again.

On 2/10/2024 at 8:53 PM, Chinacar said:

Really nice paint finish and build! You've just proven my theory wrong that you should wait at least 24 hours to allow the paint to "gas-off" before applying decals...thanks for you post. 

Thanks, Alex!  Actually, I totally agree with you regarding letting the paint gas out.  This was Tamiya spray paint which, relatively speaking, drys and cures a little faster than other sprays.  I do my body work at the beginning of the 24 hour build and get it under paint as soon as possible.  I let it sit for a bit and then pop it in a dehydrator for most of the rest of the 24 hours.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/28/2024 at 11:37 PM, alan barton said:

That's a great looking dirt tracker.  I have built about six of these modifieds and I think it was a great choice for a 24 hour build.

Cheers

Alan

Thanks, Alan!  This was my first one.  I didn’t know what to expect, but the low parts count and the fact that I chose a single color paint scheme along with minimal decals, I felt it was doable.  I was pleasantly surprised with how well everything went together.

On 2/29/2024 at 9:37 AM, ewetwo said:

That is so cool looking. Nice build.

Thanks, David!