Model Cars Magazine Forum

1:16 Gunze Sangyo 1937 Rolls-Royce Phantom III Sports Saloon

Anglia105E

1 minute ago, stitchdup said:

given how few cars were in my area at that time, any number over 1000 is a more recent plate. its also one of the last you can still get new andpreviously  unused from the dvla. bs1 through 6 were all owned by billy smarts circus at one time. I did a bit of research on the bs numbers for the local vintage club when they did a display of original orkney cars.

I can see that you are a man who knows his numbers Les . . . Previously I was attempting to match the FV8910 number to a specific motor car, but now thanks to MCM member Skip Jordan, I am aware of the car being in the Toyota Automobile Museum, and you can just make out the FV8910 number plate behind the front bumper . . .

Here is an even better photo . . .

David

toy53.jpg

• Like 1

So, the actual car that the Gunze Sangyo Phantom III kit is based upon, does exist and it is owned by the Toyota Automobile Museum in Japan. This means that car number FV 8910 has a paint colour scheme that is two shades of gold . . . There is an excellent vehicles database on the museum website that has four very good photographs of the real car, showing front three-quarter view, front view, rear view and also the dashboard layout. The interior colour can be seen clearly on the front seats, and this is very close to my chosen colour of brown. This car does have whitewall tyres, as displayed in the box art for the Entex version of the kit.

My predicament is now, do I abandon my chosen paint scheme of black and cream, or do I try to reproduce the actual two-tone gold ?

Do I build this Rolls-Royce Phantom III as ' FV 8910 ' in gold, or do I choose a different registration number and finish this model in black and cream as planned ? . . . Referring to the Gunze Sangyo instruction sheet, they suggest two alternative paint schemes, neither of which are gold. One is black and silver, and the second is all ivory, so one colour.

Usually, I do like to build a scale model Rolls-Royce car that accurately represents a real car, including specific paint colour, registration number and as many other details as possible. It seems that I have to make a decision regarding this build !

David

300_1.jpg

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, stitchdup said:

The gold would be a more unusual colour scheme. The two tone on the fenders is something i might borrow for something else. I haven't seen it done that way before

I agree that the gold paint scheme is quite unusual, and as such would make for a nice model . . . Sourcing those two paint colours could be tricky though.

Had this been during the Summer I would have completed the exterior paint spraying well before now, but as we are still struggling to reach 9°C, the paint work remains on hold . . . How are your temperatures up there in the Orkneys ?

David

20 minutes ago, Anglia105E said:

I agree that the gold paint scheme is quite unusual, and as such would make for a nice model . . . Sourcing those two paint colours could be tricky though.

Had this been during the Summer I would have completed the exterior paint spraying well before now, but as we are still struggling to reach 9°C, the paint work remains on hold . . . How are your temperatures up there in the Orkneys ?

David

its been cold since the start of november but i can still paint as i have my hobby room heated. Its the wind direction that stop me painting as most of the time its blows up the hose which kinda defeats the purpose of the booth, lol. Having said that we seem to have a lot less strong winds than we used to and its not for as long when we do get it. I remember week long storms and now they seem barely a day long.

Hello David.

Although the cream and black color scheme is appealing, the two-tone gold seems to have a certain elegance that the cream and black seems to lack. At least to my eye.

Whichever you choose, I'm certain that you will do a spectacular job with it.

David G.

3 hours ago, David G. said:

Hello David.

Although the cream and black color scheme is appealing, the two-tone gold seems to have a certain elegance that the cream and black seems to lack. At least to my eye.

Whichever you choose, I'm certain that you will do a spectacular job with it.

David G.

Well David, the real problem with the gold paint scheme is not so much the colour funnily enough, but more to do with the fact that I simply cannot bring myself to put whitewall tyres on any Rolls-Royce motor car . . . For this reason alone I shall most likely follow my original plan, and then probably not have any number plates / license plates on the car at all.

You see, the previous comment regarding how ' British ' the black and cream colour scheme comes across, is precisely the point really. Therefore, I would describe the gold paint scheme and the whitewall tyres as being more ' American ' . . . This of course is purely a matter of taste, and there is a distinct difference regarding how we like to see cars styled on each side of the Atlantic. and neither view is right or wrong . . . just different.

If you want to see an example of what I mean, take a look at the Phantom III that is widely known as the ' Copper Kettle ', which might not even appeal to some British and American car enthusiasts ! - https://www.mecum.com/lots/388752/1937-rolls-royce-phantom-iii-freestone-webb-sedanca-deville/

Ironically for me anyway, is that the Copper Kettle has bodywork by Freestone and Webb coachbuilders !!!

David

1 hour ago, Anglia105E said:

Well David, the real problem with the gold paint scheme is not so much the colour funnily enough, but more to do with the fact that I simply cannot bring myself to put whitewall tyres on any Rolls-Royce motor car . . . For this reason alone I shall most likely follow my original plan, and then probably not have any number plates / license plates on the car at all.

You see, the previous comment regarding how ' British ' the black and cream colour scheme comes across, is precisely the point really. Therefore, I would describe the gold paint scheme and the whitewall tyres as being more ' American ' . . . This of course is purely a matter of taste, and there is a distinct difference regarding how we like to see cars styled on each side of the Atlantic. and neither view is right or wrong . . . just different.

If you want to see an example of what I mean, take a look at the Phantom III that is widely known as the ' Copper Kettle ', which might not even appeal to some British and American car enthusiasts ! - https://www.mecum.com/lots/388752/1937-rolls-royce-phantom-iii-freestone-webb-sedanca-deville/

Ironically for me anyway, is that the Copper Kettle has bodywork by Freestone and Webb coachbuilders !!!

David

I see your point David. We're all products of out cultural environments. 

The "Copper Kettle" is a bit too garish even for my American tastes.

I agree, whitewalls seem much more at home on a Duesenberg than they do on a Rolls.

David G.  

Painting of the figure in the top hat was progressing well, until disaster struck . . . The figure fell off the blob of Blu Tack that he was mounted on for painting, and hit the hard wooden floor from a height of around two feet. Surprisingly, there seemed to be hardly any damage that I could see, although I was primarily concerned with the top hat . . . Then today, on closer inspection, I realised that four fingers of Arthur's right hand were missing, so broken off as a result of his recent fall.

I set about searching the floor of the loft, immediately below my table and chair . . . I wasn't optimistic about finding a tiny part that comprised four fingers, but a small miracle happened and I did find a part. Sadly, there were only three fingers, so I began searching again for the remaining fore finger, the fourth finger in fact . . . Yet another miracle happened. The missing finger was found !

All four of Arthur's fingers have been super glued back onto his hand, and after further painting the break is barely visible . . . Boy that was lucky !

Here are a few photos of the missing digits, and the happy ending that followed . . .

David

100_6066.JPG

100_6069.JPG

100_6071.JPG

100_6074.JPG

100_6091.JPG

100_6104.JPG

100_6105.JPG

100_6109.JPG

1 hour ago, David G. said:

Wow, what a stroke of luck that you were able to recover those!

The paint looks good too.

David G.

Thanks David . . . I tend to use the Vallejo acrylics for the figure painting, and then a combination of brushed Humbrol enamels and Tamiya aerosols for the car models . . . I still can't believe that I actually found those two tiny parts on the floor, and especially the single finger which is only 4 mm in length.

David

1 hour ago, Pierre Rivard said:

Arthur looks delightfully British!

No doubt in my mind, cream and black, black wire wheels and no whitewalls. It oozes elegance.

Thank you so much Pierre . . . Delightfully British sums up Arthur J Webb perfectly !

The decision is made . . . Black and cream with dark brown interior and seating, black wire spoked wheels and absolutely no whitewall tyres . . . This is very much an English Rolls-Royce in every sense.

David

There's certainly an American influence on the car. According to a book on the PII and PIII by Whitaker and Stuckey, "it was owned for many years by the San Antonio aircraft designer and manufacturer Ed Swearingen." On another note, I have never been able to find interior shots of the car except for this fuzzy one, which shows brown leather. (It's possible that typical of a saloon with division, the back seat could be covered in cloth of a different color.

Screen Shot 2024-03-07 at 9.15.08 AM.png

49 minutes ago, Anglia105E said:

Thank you so much Pierre . . . Delightfully British sums up Arthur J Webb perfectly !

The decision is made . . . Black and cream with dark brown interior and seating, black wire spoked wheels and absolutely no whitewall tyres . . . This is very much an English Rolls-Royce in every sense.

David

I agree that black and cream will look gorgeous.

21 minutes ago, sjordan2 said:

There's certainly an American influence on the car. According to a book on the PII and PIII by Whitaker and Stuckey, "it was owned for many years by the San Antonio aircraft designer and manufacturer Ed Swearingen." On another note, I have never been able to find interior shots of the car except for this fuzzy one, which shows brown leather. (It's possible that typical of a saloon with division, the back seat could be covered in cloth of a different color.

Screen Shot 2024-03-07 at 9.15.08 AM.png

Thank you Skip, and you are right about the seating fabric, many Phantom III cars would have leather for the front driver's seat and then cloth covered seats in the rear compartment behind the division . . . Many cars would have leather for both front and rear seats. Thanks for the photo, and the interior colour matches the shade of brown that I have chosen, so I am pleased about that !

David

100_5958.JPG

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, dino246gt said:

I agree that black and cream will look gorgeous.

Thank you Dennis . . . You know how you get a gut feeling about the colour of a particular car, well that is how I feel about this one. I can already see in my mind's eye this Phantom III looking gorgeous in black and cream as you say . . . This paint scheme will be further complimented by the dark brown interior.

David

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Anglia105E said:

Thank you Skip, and you are right about the seating fabric, many Phantom III cars would have leather for the front driver's seat and then cloth covered seats in the rear compartment behind the division . . . Many cars would have leather for both front and rear seats. Thanks for the photo, and the interior colour matches the shade of brown that I have chosen, so I am pleased about that !

David

100_5958.JPG

I have lots of interior, mechanical diagrams and other images of other PIII cars, which I'd be glad to share. I don't know how far you want to go in detail, but you could add things like the slide-out ashtrays in the rear armrests, lighted rear vanity mirrors on the back pillars, intercom between passenger and driver seats when the division window is rolled up, etc.

7 minutes ago, sjordan2 said:

I have lots of interior, mechanical diagrams and other images of other PIII cars, which I'd be glad to share. I don't know how far you want to go in detail, but you could add things like the slide-out ashtrays in the rear armrests, lighted rear vanity mirrors on the back pillars, intercom between passenger and driver seats when the division window is rolled up, etc.

Well, funny you should ask me that . . . I am indeed intending to add more detail than is included in the excellent Gunze Sangyo kit.

One example would be my hose clips for the two cooling hoses that go between the radiator and the water rails along the top of the engine, and other detail plans might include headlamp and tail lamp lighting from a 9 volt battery that could possibly fit inside the luggage compartment . . .

Certainly, I would welcome any diagrams or images that you would be happy to share, regarding PIII cars.

David

100_6048.JPG

100_6049.JPG

David, I did some kit swap test fits and the full wheel covers are INSTEAD of wires, can't be placed over the wires, it's one or the other. Those wheel covers are from the 2 door kit, but they do fit the tires perfectly, from both kits.

IMG_a1292.jpg

2 hours ago, dino246gt said:

David, I did some kit swap test fits and the full wheel covers are INSTEAD of wires, can't be placed over the wires, it's one or the other. Those wheel covers are from the 2 door kit, but they do fit the tires perfectly, from both kits.

IMG_a1292.jpg

Some further interesting facts that you have uncovered there Dennis . . . I have made the decision to have black wire spoked wheels on my Phantom III, so I won't be fitting any wheel covers to this one. However, that is useful to know that those wheel covers on the 1:16 scale Revell Phantom II would fit nicely onto Phantom III wheels . . . Although the wheel covers for the model car will not fit onto the wire spoked wheels, they were apparently fitted to the real cars in that way, purely to save cleaning time for the chauffeur driver or owner driver.

Your time test fitting the wheel covers and wheels from both kits is much appreciated, and by no means wasted !

David

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Randy D said:

Great subject David and I am enjoying following along with this one.  Well done Sir.

Randy

Many thanks Randy . . . This is turning out to be a most enjoyable build for me personally. Several MCM members have provided me with some very interesting information . . .

Cheers, David