Model Cars Magazine Forum

Is this a model or a promo

After finishing the restoration of the 63 I remembered I had another but this one is a 62,this one has thicker axles and has a six under the hood but no emblems on the fenders.  What is strange about the 63 is it has six emblems but has a V8 and has a Y pipe made into the chassis.

IMG_20240211_092436303.jpg

IMG_20240211_092445894.jpg

IMG_20240211_092514080.jpg

2 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Promos as a general rule had neither opening hoods nor engines.

In 1962 some AMT promos like this did indeed have separate hoods and engines. They used the same spring-like hood clips as kits. This is 99% likely to be a promo. 

• Thanks 1

In color, thick axles...promo.  The '62 promos did have the engine.  '62 Fairlane promos also have an engine, for some reason they have no exhaust manifolds (easier assembly?) but the air filter (cleaner) is plated, unlike the one in the kit.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the info,the opening hood had me confused and will come apart when I find a matching green paint.  I recently picked up a 61 Galaxie to put in the 61 box I had that claimed the model had a engine but the one I received did not have a opening hood so that one must be a promo.

8 hours ago, junkyardjeff said:

Thanks for the info,the opening hood had me confused and will come apart when I find a matching green paint.  I recently picked up a 61 Galaxie to put in the 61 box I had that claimed the model had a engine but the one I received did not have a opening hood so that one must be a promo.

The Starliner (fastback) hardtop and Sunliner convertible kits had engines.  The Galaxie Club Victoria (square roof) hardtop kit never had an engine or opening hood. 

8 hours ago, Mark said:

In color, thick axles...promo.  The '62 promos did have the engine.  '62 Fairlane promos also have an engine, for some reason they have no exhaust manifolds (easier assembly?) but the air filter (cleaner) is plated, unlike the one in the kit.

I bought a 62 Fairlane a few weeks ago which has a chrome air cleaner and exhaust manifolds, So is it a promo or a kit?

If it's a '62 Fairlane promo, let me guess...it's a blue-green color.

I haven't bought an old promo in forever (too much doctored-up junk out there) but wouldn't mind finding a '62 in another color (there were a couple other colors) WITH the box...

1962 was the first year for the Nova and Fairlane which were both unibody cars with structural inner fenders that looked nothing like the typical inner fender of a body on frame car. Both the Nova and Fairlane had the structural inner fenders molded to the body.

It is possible both Chevy and Ford wanted to use their promos to highlight the unibody design.

I have also seen 62 Impala promos with opening hoods. This may have been done to allow a comparison between and unibody and a body on frame.