Model Cars Magazine Forum

SEMA 'CUDA: a mostly scratchbuilt 69 Cuda Pro-touring for the SEMA show

Claude Thibodeau

On 2/13/2024 at 1:06 PM, espo said:

Great concept turning a race car into a streetcar. The paint work along with the flames look great. Like the power train and the interior. 

Thanks David!

The modified body just screamed to get a different take. I just obliged...LOL.

CT

On 2/13/2024 at 5:45 PM, Oldriginal86 said:

Looking at the exhaust, I was thinking “cut-outs” , but that’s it in its entirety. Stellar build!

Thanks Randy! 

I've built a few 1/1 cars with slip-in silencer devices that require only a short lenght of exhaust tube to work... just as implied in this 'Cuda!

CT

On 2/12/2024 at 2:59 PM, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi!

Every year, the convention floor at the SEMA Show is covered with eye candy, and the Mustangs and Camaros have been seen aplenty. What if we tried something less mundane?

Take a Polar Light Big John 69 Cuda Funny-car body, already shaved, chopped, lenghtened, with flush-fitting contemporary glass, and add scratchbuilt: frame, air-ride suspensions,  disc brakes, rack & pinion steering, firewall, floor pan, gas tank, inverted hood hinges, air filters, door panels, seat belts. rear deck, taillight, mirrors, exhaust, etc. Fully wired and plumbed.

V10 from Sidewinder's truck, 9" Ford from 76 Torino, rolling stock from Prowler, chrome bucket seats from 65 Grand-Prix (custom option), dash from unknown glue-bomb 928 Porsche.

Testor's Metallic black  & Diamond dust silver & Maroon red  lacquers, airbrushed Metalflake's Red Flip-Flop real-fire flames, Mr. Hobby's premium top coat clear, fully polished. Revell's spray chrome accents and Tamya's clear red acrylic on chrome accessories. 

Hours of fun with styrene!

CT 

DSC02012.JPG

DSC02013.JPG

DSC02014.JPG

DSC02015.JPG

DSC02018.JPG

DSC02019.JPG

DSC02021.JPG

DSC02022.JPG

DSC02024.JPG

DSC02026.JPG

DSC02028.JPG

DSC02031.JPG

Claude, your creativity just amazes me.  If you were competing in the old MPC customizing championship series, you would have been winning the "Best Originality" awards right and left.  

Having said that, this is one of your best projects yet!  Great job.  I wouldn't change a single thing.  TIM 

So many cool things about this build. Have never seen a funny car body turned into a street machine before!  Engine choice, tilting hood, flush fit glass and those flames are very well done. Your effort shows!

Edited by Speedpro
Fix page

On 2/16/2024 at 9:52 AM, Brudda said:

Another great build from the studio of CT Design. Fantastic build. Love the hood hinges. 

Thank you Bruce! 

I somehow discovered that reversing the hood via those hinges is the best way to avoid having to display the car with a closed hood... or having it to sit on the display table next to the car. Plus you can close if the judges ask for it in a blink!

CT

• Like 1

On 2/16/2024 at 10:34 PM, Joe Handley said:

Looks great, but should it even have a drive shaft if it’s a SEMA build?!

😄

Hi Billy!

Please expand on the idea: is-there a SEMA rule that requires removing the driveshaft before entering the convention center? If so, I did not know that... and I thank you for making me aware of it!

CT

12 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Billy!

Please expand on the idea: is-there a SEMA rule that requires removing the driveshaft before entering the convention center? If so, I did not know that... and I thank you for making me aware of it!

CT

There’s no rule, but lots of the BroDozer-ish truck builds usually have at least no front drive shafts, some probably due to excessive joint angles, if they even get driven outside of on and off trailers.

On 2/21/2024 at 7:21 AM, tim boyd said:

Claude, your creativity just amazes me.  If you were competing in the old MPC customizing championship series, you would have been winning the "Best Originality" awards right and left.  

Having said that, this is one of your best projects yet!  Great job.  I wouldn't change a single thing.  TIM 

Hi Tim!

Thank you.

Back when the old MPC contest was a thing... I was still painting models with Humbrol enamel and a dime store brush. So, my techniques may have improved, but to me the challenge is always to try to think a bit "outside the box". It keeps boredom at bay, I guess. LOL. 

So much styrene, so little time!

CT 

• Like 1

On 2/24/2024 at 10:45 PM, Speedpro said:

So many cool things about this build. Have never seen a funny car body turned into a street machine before!  Engine choice, tilting hood, flush fit glass and those flames are very well done. Your effort shows!

Thank you Paul! 

As they say "it's the sum of little things..." 

CT