Model Cars Magazine Forum

1971 Olds 442 stock build

rastta

Latest build. 71 Olds 442. Built it stock with a manual transmission. MCW olds blue for the engine. Tamiya Light Blue metallic for the exterior with Tamiya clear, Tamiya flat white interior. Went with Tamiya clear since its' a stock build and the actual paint was never that glossy. Have used BMF on my last few builds and I honestly hate the stuff. LOL. This is a brand new sheet and still doesn't still that well. I will say fitment was excellent on this kit and I like the level of detail with the decals included. 

IMG_3888.JPG

IMG_3889.JPG

IMG_3890.JPG

IMG_3894.JPG

IMG_3897.JPG

IMG_3898.JPG

IMG_3899.JPG

IMG_3901.JPG

IMG_3902.JPG

IMG_3905.JPG

IMG_3906.JPG

IMG_3907.JPG

IMG_3908.JPG

• Like 12

Just beautiful Joe, and that Tamiya light blue is one of my favorite paints. I also agree with you about BMF. When I need to use it, I have had better luck with foil tape (which you can find at any auto repair store). It's a bit thicker, but handles much more easily. Otherwise, I LOVE Molotow chrome pens, as long as you don't handle the chrome afterwards.

Capture.JPG.c04c89085d6606ef77e0f45b902c1058.JPG

On 2/15/2024 at 1:01 PM, TransAmMike said:

Very nice Joe. Don't know where you got the BMF but my last sheet came directly from BMF...almost too sticky.

I got it at my local hobby store.  I guess it's just so finicky.  So times it sticks really well and then other times it doesn't. 

19 hours ago, ea0863 said:

Just beautiful Joe, and that Tamiya light blue is one of my favorite paints. I also agree with you about BMF. When I need to use it, I have had better luck with foil tape (which you can find at any auto repair store). It's a bit thicker, but handles much more easily. Otherwise, I LOVE Molotow chrome pens, as long as you don't handle the chrome afterwards.

Capture.JPG.c04c89085d6606ef77e0f45b902c1058.JPG

BMF is just so finicky.  That's my problem with it.  I've tried the thicker stuff like you showed - but it's hard on small items.  I used Molotow for most of my builds, I have the refill, and tape up and hand paint it on.  I just wanted to revisit BMF. 

• Like 1

On 12/8/2022 at 12:18 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

Having a regimented painting procedure will go a long way to determining what works best for removing paint if it becomes necessary.

It really only becomes an issue when an individual hop scotches around with the types of paint, and the approaches for applying it.

I use the same type of paint, and the same manner of application for every build, so there's no guess work should it become required that it be stripped.

Bouncing around between enamels, lacquers and acrylics and varying primers and the like, is part of the issue for some builders.

What works for one, will not necessarily work for the other.

I use automotive lacquer paints and clear, and the same materials and procedures for prep and priming on every project, so should it become necessary, I KNOW, for a fact, that the Super Clean that I use will do the job every time.

I no longer have to worry about what might, or might not work for me should stripping become unavoidable.

The only time that it might become necessary for me to find an alternative, is if I happen to have an old model that was originally painted by another individual, and they used some weird paint or primer.

Steve

WOW. Very nice Cutlass. Well done.