Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1941 Plymouth Coupe

NOBLNG

On 3/26/2024 at 4:28 PM, NOBLNG said:

I gave it a coat of Mr.Hobby semi gloss clear. I came out glossier than I was aiming for…but the more I look at it the more I don’t mind it.🤔

IMG_1673.jpeg

IMG_1674.jpeg

What kind of wire did you use to hold the car when you painted it was it that I've been trying to find something better than what I've been using to spray my stuff I like that.

Wow Greg, I thought you might be exaggerating about the crud in the paint but you obviously weren't! 😮 

That looks like it was painted on the floor of a saw mill with a dirty pinecone!

Hopefully you won't have to re-do any of the fine work you did to get the front clip in such great shape.

David G.

If I were you I would still blame AMT, they are at least indirectly responsible….😀 We all know you will have it whipped back into shape and, if I know you, there will be yet another improvement of some kind as well.  Frustrating though for sure…

3 hours ago, David G. said:

Yeah, you did! :D 

I cannot see, in my mind's eye, any scenario in which a pine cone - clean, dirty, or otherwise - could apply paint with any degree of.....anything 🤯!   but it was funny 😄 

OK, let's not do this again.....sorry Greg....🤓

Edited by customline

This is a very cool project, having just built the same kit myself it's nice to see one built with this much thought and attention to certain things that many modelers would just simply ignore.

Maybe I missed it, but did you figure out somekind of a fix for the windshield fitment? I only found out on mine after the body was painted and chrome trim done with BMF that especially the fitment of the windshield was pretty bad, but there was nothing I could do about it at that point.

1 hour ago, W-409 said:

This is a very cool project, having just built the same kit myself it's nice to see one built with this much thought and attention to certain things that many modelers would just simply ignore.

Maybe I missed it, but did you figure out somekind of a fix for the windshield fitment? I only found out on mine after the body was painted and chrome trim done with BMF that especially the fitment of the windshield was pretty bad, but there was nothing I could do about it at that point.

Other than replacing the center divider with a piece of bobby pin, I haven’t done anything about the glass. I think I should take another look at it though before painting it again.

I think I'm going to order some pine-cone repellent before I attempt to paint mine just to be safe. 😮

Greg, with this kit I think it's just par for the course. I'm sure the second attempt will succeed and it will be an easy ride the rest of the way....Hey, one can dream can't they.😌

On 3/29/2024 at 4:47 PM, customline said:

Don't use the pine cone this time, Greg. 😕

:D 

18 hours ago, LennyB said:

I think I'm going to order some pine-cone repellent before I attempt to paint mine just to be safe. 😮

Greg, with this kit I think it's just par for the course. I'm sure the second attempt will succeed and it will be an easy ride the rest of the way....Hey, one can dream can't they.😌

All pinecones aside, it certainly can be a bummer to have a paintjob go badly Len. But I've had the second attempt often go exceedingly well.

So well in fact, that I'm often glad that I goofed up on the first one.  It's like there was a "bad one" in the system that needed to be pushed out of the way so the good one could come out.

:D "Dirty Pinecone" It would also be a great name for a biker bar on the outskirts of Eugene Oregon. :D 

Seriously Len, I hope the paintjob goes well for you.

David G.

On 3/31/2024 at 8:41 AM, David G. said:

:D 

All pinecones aside, it certainly can be a bummer to have a paintjob go badly Len. But I've had the second attempt often go exceedingly well.

So well in fact, that I'm often glad that I goofed up on the first one.  It's like there was a "bad one" in the system that needed to be pushed out of the way so the good one could come out.

:D "Dirty Pinecone" It would also be a great name for a biker bar on the outskirts of Eugene Oregon. :D 

Seriously Len, I hope the paintjob goes well for you.

David G.

Thanks David, I'll keep my fingers crossed and pinecones outside.

On second thought maybe I should paint "Dirty Pinecone Ranch" on the side of my Woody. 😄

Posted (edited)

The left headlight bezel was a little out of level so I pryed it off. I added a fair bit of Milliput to correct my previous attempt, and it was easier to shape with the bezel off anyway.

IMG_1779.thumb.jpeg.0577a909929ed6a87e4c89e4846c4511.jpeg
And I think I have it shaped satisfactorily now.🥵

IMG_1740.jpeg.6fa3b9673b47dbf782257cd304a6cbc9.jpeg

I took another look at the glass and decided to split it up and just use the windshield and rear window. The side glass I will cut from clear sheet. I also added a bit of putty to fill the gaps at the A pillars.

IMG_1737.jpeg.3f4dd7b0e742ba8429c24f4af1495dfe.jpeg

IMG_1743.jpeg.32b5dc55a03758f6b58a0b0ad1ff7ef0.jpeg

IMG_1745.jpeg.42f4106ceb690a3321ac6432cd2280b1.jpeg
This is the first time using the Duplicolor sandable primer and it sure seemed to go on dry and grainy. I hope I can get this smoothed out or it’s back in the pond.🤨

IMG_1757.jpeg.599d06c22d80fbf7a807689b411af279.jpeg

IMG_1756.jpeg.e2389d142e58d4ecc173b0a755682648.jpeg

Edited by NOBLNG
  • Like 2

I admire your persistence, sir. The kit does not warrant it. The subject, on the other hand, does and that's why all this stuff needed to be done. We all know by now the kit leaves a whole lot to be desired and your work on this kit will be the template for future builds. Not every builder will want to do all of this, but, for me, (and you, if I may assume) this is where the fun is. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, customline said:

I admire your persistence, sir. The kit does not warrant it. The subject, on the other hand, does and that's why all this stuff needed to be done. We all know by now the kit leaves a whole lot to be desired and your work on this kit will be the template for future builds. Not every builder will want to do all of this, but, for me, (and you, if I may assume) this is where the fun is. 

Fantastic work on this and it IS where the fun is, it looks SO much better, I wish AMT would've done all this. Great job Greg!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Greg

How did it turn out? I thought you said it worked out great these last photos if that's primer it didn't look that bad not like that red oxide. Have you done any more?

On 4/1/2024 at 6:34 PM, NOBLNG said:

The left headlight bezel was a little out of level so I pryed it off. I added a fair bit of Milliput to correct my previous attempt, and it was easier to shape with the bezel off anyway.

IMG_1779.thumb.jpeg.0577a909929ed6a87e4c89e4846c4511.jpeg
And I think I have it shaped satisfactorily now.🥵

IMG_1740.jpeg.6fa3b9673b47dbf782257cd304a6cbc9.jpeg

I took another look at the glass and decided to split it up and just use the windshield and rear window. The side glass I will cut from clear sheet. I also added a bit of putty to fill the gaps at the A pillars.

IMG_1737.jpeg.3f4dd7b0e742ba8429c24f4af1495dfe.jpeg

IMG_1743.jpeg.32b5dc55a03758f6b58a0b0ad1ff7ef0.jpeg

IMG_1745.jpeg.42f4106ceb690a3321ac6432cd2280b1.jpeg
This is the first time using the Duplicolor sandable primer and it sure seemed to go on dry and grainy. I hope I can get this smoothed out or it’s back in the pond.🤨

IMG_1757.jpeg.599d06c22d80fbf7a807689b411af279.jpeg

IMG_1756.jpeg.e2389d142e58d4ecc173b0a755682648.jpeg