Model Cars Magazine Forum

63 Plymouth, JoHan and Mobius mix

dino246gt

First off, the JoHan and the Mobius kits are decades apart in their engineering, so it's not a simple swap like the real car would be.

But I've got the front end fitted, hopefully everything will start coming together as I'm making it up as I go.

IMG_6338.JPG

IMG_6339.JPG

IMG_6341.JPG

IMG_6342.JPG

• Like 6

Dennis, I was just about to start a similar project. Only I was thinking of using the Lindberg 1964 Plymouth for the chassis and such. Mainly because it's what I have on hand. I will be watching to see how yours goes.

• Like 1

Inner fenders got "SIMPLIFIED" I removed the molded on wires.

Under the front bumper, I opened that up.

I drilled out the chrome headlights and scraped some plastic away to create the separation between the bumper and grille.

IMG_6924 (1).JPG

IMG_6920 (1).JPG

IMG_6946.JPG

IMG_6948.JPG

• Like 4

I had a resin bench seat for a Thunderbolt Fairlane kit in the stash.

I smoothed both seats.

I added styrene to make the front seat the same depth as the Mobius rear seat.

Then I added some thin strips to create the base model look.

IMG_6955.JPG

IMG_6984.JPG

IMG_6998.JPG

IMG_7005.JPG

• Like 5

Since I'm using the Mobius tub, I had to make the JoHan dash fit.

It's starting to resemble the '63 dash, still needs a lot of tweaking.

I lined up the firewall, but I'll remove all the molded on detail.

IMG_6990.JPG

IMG_7028.JPG

IMG_7056.JPG

• Like 3

Thank you Dennis for all the effort you are putting into this detailed WIP, so far a real master class in kit bashing! Your replacement of the molded-in wiring harness with real wires is motivating me to try this on a future build. Painting molded-in wires is usually a hit & miss for me at best and can detract from the actual wire detailing on the engine.

Edited by papajohn97
  • Like 2

I more or less finished up the interior.

For the door cards, I just masked and painted it to look more like the '63.

I'm not going for a show winning replica, just a cool model.

Notice the "radio delete" LOL

IMG_7245.JPG

IMG_7248.JPG

Edited by dino246gt
  • Like 4

On 2/18/2024 at 4:19 PM, dino246gt said:

Mobius kit front shocks, hmmmm.....

It only took about 3 minutes to make aluminum copies, that seem to look much better.

I'm using mostly the Mobius kit.

IMG_6846.JPG

IMG_6849.JPG

This is very cool, Dennis! I wish I had your knack for bodywork. Now, these shocks--this illustrates the biggest reason I scratchbuild so much stuff. It's often easier than cleaning up molded kit pieces, it's a helluva lot more interesting and fun than cleaning up those mold lines, and, they always look way better than the kit parts! Beautiful work, sir, as always!

• Like 1

This is something I do a lot of:

I find the wheels I want, and the tires I want, but the wheels don't always fit the tires.

So I take the wheels that DO fit the tires and combine them with the wheels I've chosen.

Cut the centers out and discard those, de-chrome the rings that I'll use in Easy Off, and sand them down to the proper depth.

I've always liked the look of wide steelies on the rear of a muscle car, a base model muscle car that is.

IMG_7297.jpg

IMG_7300.jpg

IMG_7306.jpg

Edited by dino246gt
  • Like 4

23 minutes ago, FoMoCo66 said:

That is some awesome kit bashing ceep it up. Was the 63 johan a glue bomb or did you use a untouched kit?

Yeah I had a minty kit, but they're really not worth much, managed to sell the leftovers, no body, no dash, no front bumper/grill and no tail lights, for $10. Still had good stuff to complete someone's vintage JoHan kit that was missing anything. Metal axles, original screws, mint decal sheet, instructions, all the custom parts, chassis, interior, original tires, engine, was a good deal for someone.

On 2/18/2024 at 11:50 AM, LennyB said:

Dennis, I was just about to start a similar project. Only I was thinking of using the Lindberg 1964 Plymouth for the chassis and such. Mainly because it's what I have on hand. I will be watching to see how yours goes.

That's how i built my 63 fury. I had to remove a small section from the rear floor area.