Model Cars Magazine Forum

69 Nova "street race" drag car

keviiin86

Started with the revell 69 nova kit, added resin parts here and there such as the carb, valve covers, B&M shifter and magnaflow mufflers from VCG, tires and fuel pressure regulator are from futur attraction.  The wheels, 9" ford and electric fan came out of the AMT 57 corvette street machine kit, intake manifold from an old monogram stock car kit with a scratch built carb spacer.  Roll bar is scratch built out of styrene rod, added some length to the header collectors and header flanges that go into a scratch built X pipe exhaust made from solder wire left bare and scratch built traction bars. Engine is from the kit but cut off manual trans and added a parts bin th400. Body is painted in old model master ruby red over a black base and clear coated.  After getting it assembled it dawned on me how much the car resembled a local legend's car (Palmer Lazarus) any older car guys from the Chicago area will know who this is. Paint color is very close to his..had I thought of it earlier I would have built a replica tribute car.  (Added a couple pics at the end of his Nova). Enjoy!

20240223_110459.jpg

20240223_110527.jpg

20240223_110606.jpg

20240223_105322.jpg

20240223_105243.jpg

20240223_105223.jpg

20240219_155500.jpg

20240223_105428.jpg

20240223_105403.jpg

FB_IMG_1607057949884.jpg

FB_IMG_1607057806331.jpg

• Like 12

23 minutes ago, EngineerBob said:

Very nicely detailed! I especially liked the fuel lines as well as the shifter.

Thank you, I took a 20 year break from building until a month ago..and I'm impressed with the level of detail you can get from 3d printers now that was impossible 10-20 years ago..the shifter and carb has insane detail!

3 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Everything about it looks fantastik Kevin, wow the engine👍

Thank you! This is my first model in a long time..I don't remember the braided line and fittings being this challenging..but they sure fought me though lol

Really nice looking nova Kevin! Everything about this build looks right to me. The color of the interior works perfect with the body color. Engine bay and under side detail is spot on. Great build for 1st one being back at your bench. Looking forward to seeing what you'll be building next.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Speedpro said:

Really nice looking nova Kevin! Everything about this build looks right to me. The color of the interior works perfect with the body color. Engine bay and under side detail is spot on. Great build for 1st one being back at your bench. Looking forward to seeing what you'll be building next.

Thanks, I appreciate it!  It's funny, there were a couple days in January that I sat there and binge watched a bunch of model building videos on youtube and picked up a few tips and tricks here and there that I never thought of years back when I was building a lot.  This whole nova build actually started because the same friend who bought me this kit in 2011 picked up a revell 98 Trans Am kit at an estate sale and gave it to me for Christmas (I have a 2002 Firebird Formula) and he knows I like those cars.  So since he bought me the nova that I never finished I figured that should take priority before the Trans Am. But as far as the trans am goes I though about building a replica of my car but there aren't any kits out there or resin bodies to make a firebird/formula that I've found, I'd have to scratch build a front and rear bumper and firebird hatch spoiler out of body filler of some sort..and that's one of those things I've never been good at or really attempted.  So the plan is to just build the model as a Trans Am but I want to do a little kit bashing and use some 3D printed stuff..so that'll probably be the next project.

1 hour ago, Brutalform said:

Fantastic looking Nova Kevin. Stance, and details are spot on. 
I was looking at purchasing some of Future Attraction wheels and tires, and after seeing your build, I’m gonna get a few. Great work. 

Thanks, yeah they are some really nice tires, wish they had a slightly smaller size, something comparable to a 28"x10" slick but luckily I got these to fit.

Many years ago, a friend of mine had a 69 Nova that started out with a six cylinder; when he was finished with it, it had a built 427 big block and an M-22 four speed. Your model reminded me of his car. Very nice build!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John B. said:

Many years ago, a friend of mine had a 69 Nova that started out with a six cylinder; when he was finished with it, it had a built 427 big block and an M-22 four speed. Your model reminded me of his car. Very nice build!

Thanks, nice! got any pictures of it?