Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya VW Karmann Ghia 'Outlaw'

StokeModels

Beautiful looking pictures look more like a real car than a model. I remember seeing an article on a Karmann Ghia done in much the same manor in one of the enthusiast magazines last year.  

• Thanks 1

Really fantastic, great colour great finish and engine.

I'd also love to see what your photo setup is. In particular - is the reflection down the side of the car a real scene - you've photographed outside?  Or it's a reflection of something you've setup to mimic an outside horizon?

• Thanks 1

Thanks everybody for the great comments - much appreciated!

On 2/23/2024 at 5:12 PM, Alegitbot said:

excellent photography, what is your camera and photo set up like? 

I have a Canon T3i that I bought back in 2012. I use the basic 18-55mm kit lens and shoot in natural light.

On 2/23/2024 at 6:01 PM, jaymcminn said:

The fabric you used for the carpet looks exactly like German square weave!

Thanks! It's an iron-on elbow patch I found at my local fabric store.

On 2/24/2024 at 10:20 AM, JollySipper said:

The pics here look soooooooo much better than on IG

Thanks! Nice to see them blown up a little bit. 🙂

On 2/24/2024 at 10:21 AM, Phildaupho said:

Having seen this in person your photography helps me appreciate it even more being able to see details I missed.

Thanks Phil! I know, the camera picks up so much more than I can see with my eyesight. 🙂

On 2/24/2024 at 3:44 PM, Bainford said:

What tires are used on this build?

They are 3D printed from my own design. I just switched over to Blender for 3D modelling and these were the first tires I did. Blender handles importing the lettering way better than my old software did so I went all out and added all of the sidewall detail, down to the safety info.

7 hours ago, galaxyg said:

I'd also love to see what your photo setup is. In particular - is the reflection down the side of the car a real scene - you've photographed outside?  Or it's a reflection of something you've setup to mimic an outside horizon?

I use a Canon T3i that I bought back in 2012 with the basic 18-55mm kit lens. I shoot everything outside in natural light to get real reflections in the paint. I live on a cul-de-sac and in the third shot you can see the reflection of my neighbour's house down the side of the car. For the first and second shots, I drove down to a local parking lot that is much more wide open. That gave me a much cleaner and smoother scene to reflect in the paint. Also, the sunset light really allows the sky to cast a nice gradient over the tops of the fenders.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

If I may: what is this fantastic "nougat" paint? Just curious...

It's a custom mix of silver, black, engine grey and a little bit of brown. I had a bit of paint left over from my T.50 build and just added stuff until I liked it. 🙂

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, StokeModels said:

They are 3D printed from my own design. I just switched over to Blender for 3D modelling and these were the first tires I did. Blender handles importing the lettering way better than my old software did so I went all out and added all of the sidewall detail, down to the safety info.

Wow! very impressive. They look great. That just may be the thing that justifies me getting a 3D printer. Decent tires can be the toughest parts to find for a build project.

• Thanks 1

On 2/23/2024 at 8:46 PM, Stanward VonDiederichs said:

This is one beautiful Carmen gia and I agree the photographs do it proud. I bought this kit back in the mid-2000 I've never built it this makes me want to.

Martin

The more I look at this the more I think this deserves a trophy not just the heart actually both.

• Thanks 1