Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT's 1957 Ford Hardtop: WIP

Hello Everybody!

Here's the next update:

I took some time and detailed the stock hubcaps. I started by spraying some Tamiya Flat Clear followed by a blackwash and some acrylic white paint. The final step was a spray of Tamiya Clear.

57_Ford_06.jpg.35f45af6802cfdf215e735ec810e195b.jpg

Here are the assembled wheels mounted on the chassis. The tires from the kit went missing long before it came into my possession so I fished these out of the parts box. I also found a set with wide whitewalls and I really wanted to use those but I just couldn't get them to fit well enough on the rims. 

57_Ford_07.jpg.85f7f6d6e09bd5e010b734ba9992e312.jpg

Having the wheels installed of course means that the rest of the suspension parts went on before them. I still plan to add some weathering using pastels. The front wheels are in proper alignment but the car has poseable steering which has an inherent looseness to it. Which means that the front wheels... will... never be in proper alignment.

57_Ford_08.jpg.ce6691aee55ff0fc0fc91102726864fb.jpg

Wheels down! With that it's time to check the ride height. When I put the front suspension together, I flipped the spindles upside down to lower the front wheels just a bit. I thought about cutting the shackles on the rear springs down just a little bit too but I don't think it's necessary. The car has a little bit of a rake and I like that.

57_Ford_09.jpg.c5dbcd78a29097c2794cafcff4e0b772.jpg

As always, thanks for taking the time to look and comments, observations, hints and critiques are always welcome.

David G.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

And there are never enough '57 Ford projects. I've always preferred them to the same year Chebbys

Yup I totally agree. The chevys are cool but Ford all the way.

20 minutes ago, LennyB said:

If I remember correctly Ford sold more cars in 57 then Chevy.

Yup that's right. I'm pretty sure I knew that. I heard it's because people didn't like the vertical fins. It's pretty funny that with age and quickly the ford grew less popular and the chevy grew more popular.

Those wheels are super, David.  100% legit.  I would bring the back down even but the rake works well on this cool Ford. 😎.  With the rake, I see baby moons on chrome reversed rims, the tube grille and a pair of swept-back antennas on the rear quarters.....but that's just me 🤓.....oh and a couple of cherry bombs underneath 🥴...and gray primer all around. Sorry. 🫤

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Randy D said:

Always a big step to have a roller David!!

Hub caps look great and you gave it just enough rake.

Randy

Thanks Randy!

11 hours ago, Duddly01 said:

I think it is a great stance myself.

Thank you Donald.

11 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Nice work picking out the chassis details. She looks kinda like an empty 'shine "tanker" with the nose down like that.

And there are never enough '57 Ford projects. I've always preferred them to the same year Chebbys.

Thanks Bill. I'm not sure if the rake is going to stay like it is. It seems to me that this may change once the interior is completed and the doors are installed.

11 hours ago, FoMoCo66 said:

Yup I totally agree. The chevys are cool but Ford all the way.

Thanks for your comment Ace. I'm just a car guy, I like them each for different reasons.

I'm amazed at the difference in body styles between the two makes for the same model year. Ford had overhauled their general body design to what would be the predominant style of the Sixties and Seventies while Chevy was still updating their designs from the Forties and Fifties.

9 hours ago, LennyB said:

If I remember correctly Ford sold more cars in 57 then Chevy.

I think you're correct Len. I'm guessing that Ford had a fair number of municipal, state and federal government contracts. It seems to me that a lot of the police and other government cars of the period were Fords like this one.

8 hours ago, customline said:

Those wheels are super, David.  100% legit.  I would bring the back down even but the rake works well on this cool Ford. 😎.  With the rake, I see baby moons on chrome reversed rims, the tube grille and a pair of swept-back antennas on the rear quarters.....but that's just me 🤓.....oh and a couple of cherry bombs underneath 🥴...and gray primer all around. Sorry. 🫤

Thanks Jim, I'm glad you like the wheels. I have several build sessions invested in them and it's nice to know that the time spent was worthwhile. 

Custom and Resto-Mod in progress and barn finds are always options that I consider when building a kit like this one Jim, but all of that takes planning and extra time and effort. People who always build "shiny" have a much easier job of it. I've built both ways and decided to take the easier route on this one. I do have another partial kit and a couple of glue bombs of this kit I can work with, I may end up doing a "before and after" set.

I'm not sure that the rake will stay the way it is. I think that the lack of a dashboard is allowing the body to settle a little lower in the front than it should. I'll know more as the build progresses.

Thank you all for taking the time to share your thoughts and opinions with me, I always enjoy reading them and responding.

David G.

There's nothing easy about building "shiny" where I live, Dave, especially when two colors are involved. I totally get your vision for this car. Fords of the '50s and '60s evoke lots of memories for me and I was just sort of reminiscing 🙂....not suggesting you do any of that stuff.  I know I'm going to love how you do this one. 

22 hours ago, customline said:

There's nothing easy about building "shiny" where I live, Dave, especially when two colors are involved. I totally get your vision for this car. Fords of the '50s and '60s evoke lots of memories for me and I was just sort of reminiscing 🙂....not suggesting you do any of that stuff.  I know I'm going to love how you do this one. 

Thanks for your vote of confidence Jim.

I didn't mean to denigrate anyone's chosen building style. For me it takes much less time, effort and planning to build something like this:

71_Ranger22.jpg.eafc0462ea96320e001aafa1f131a0d7.jpg

Than it does like this:

50_Chevy_01.jpg.fe431fb8e5f51071a6f31ac2201ac79d.jpg

The Chevy took more than twice the time to build than did the Ford.

For me, the Ford was a much easier build. 

Which is why I think of shiny builds as easier builds. Just an opinion based on my own experience.

That Ranch Wagon you posted earlier looks great BTW!

16 hours ago, slusher said:

Looks terrific David, perfect stance!

Thanks Carl. That's likely to change as the interior comes together.

David G.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, customline said:

Oh, I was just belly-aching about my shiny paint jobs, Dave.  Lately, they haven't been great. I often find a way to screw 'em up 😞.  

Wow, I'm sorry to hear that Jim. You do such fabulous with the modifications and corrections on your builds though.

David G.

Hello Everybody!

Here's a quick update on the Ford.

The engine assembly nearly complete with the exception of the exhaust manifolds and air cleaner. The attachment points for the manifolds on the sides of the cylinder heads are almost nonexistent so I've decided to drill and pin them. Having the wires in place as a mechanical attachment will help me to get their alignment correct as I mount them during the engine installation.

57_Ford_10.jpg.1e31a41993339252d15a31f8550ffc3a.jpg

Here is the completed engine installation with the exhaust manifolds pinned in place and the air cleaned on top like a cherry on a sundae.

57_Ford_11.jpg.d45e4d43eb54bbbda3a02c15750d7190.jpg

Thanks for your time and attention and please feel to post a comment, critique or question if you feel so inclined.

David G.

22 hours ago, customline said:

I love a good Y-block, David.  Nice detailing on the covers and pinning those manifolds is is the way to go. I can smell the oil leaking from the covers burning on the manifolds. Sweet. 

Thank you Jim.

Yeah, they all did eventually leak back then, didn't they?

David G.

38 minutes ago, David G. said:

Thank you Jim.

Yeah, they all did eventually leak back then, didn't they?

David G.

Yes they did. Cleaning the sludge from the rocker arms and shafts was always a picnic too. A gasket replacement usually went that way.

Edited by customline

Your '57 is looking great! I have a real soft spot for these cars, especially since I have one in the garage.

A little hint to this kit/build: If you sand and get the top of the fender smooth and then use a piece of half round for the ridge you will be much happier with the end result. Another point of concern I have corrected is the area right in front of the rear tire, it needs to fade away from top to bottom.

And do not be afraid to glue the front valance to the lower front fender, that is attached on a 1:1. Argent silver is factory correct for the valance also.

All merely FYI's

image.png.456a1de552f6b06c34325b636f033cdd.png

22 hours ago, Steve H said:

Nice work as always David. I like the raked stance you’ve given this one. That engine grime looks spot on. 

Thank you Steve. I think the rake will even out a little once the interior is assembled and installed. 

21 hours ago, Sledsel said:

Your '57 is looking great! I have a real soft spot for these cars, especially since I have one in the garage.

A little hint to this kit/build: If you sand and get the top of the fender smooth and then use a piece of half round for the ridge you will be much happier with the end result. Another point of concern I have corrected is the area right in front of the rear tire, it needs to fade away from top to bottom.

And do not be afraid to glue the front valance to the lower front fender, that is attached on a 1:1. Argent silver is factory correct for the valance also.

All merely FYI's

image.png.456a1de552f6b06c34325b636f033cdd.png

Thanks for your comment and the tips you've offered Andy.

That shade of green in the photo you uploaded is exactly the color I had in mind for this build. I thought that Tamiya's TS-60 Pearl Green would work. The green was right but the pearl wasn't. I opted for TS-102 Cobalt Green instead.

If that's your '57 you should be very proud, it's a beautiful machine.

20 hours ago, Randy D said:

Good looking motor, I like the wash on the block David👍

Randy

Thanks Randy, I appreciate that.

As always, thanks to all of you who follow along and take the time to provide your comments and encouragement.

David G. 

• David G. changed the title to AMT's 1957 Ford Hardtop: WIP