Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT's 1957 Ford Hardtop: WIP

19 hours ago, Sledsel said:

EXACTLY..... Working on a full tub '59 Ford and it is maddening! Looking forward to more progress. You are making me want to dig out one of my many '57's

Thanks Andy. I'd like to see what you'd do with one.

5 hours ago, slusher said:

Definitely makes you want to build a 57 Ford.57 Fords did out sell 57 Chevies in 1957..

I imagine they did. It sure is easier to picture a '57 Ford police car than it ia a '57 Chevy police car.

David G.

Hello Everybody!

You may notice odd shadows on some of the photos for the next couple of postings. This is due some dirt that found its way onto the image sensor on my camera necessitating a trip to the camera shop for some cleaning and maintenance. They had it for about a week and after I got it back it took me a couple of days to get everything set back to my specs.

Now that I have my camera back from the shop and all its settings are mostly dialed in, it's time to get back to business.

A quick test view of all the interior bits together. The colors work well in person but apparently they're difficult to photograph well. I think I'll try a different background next time. Maybe adding some of the detail features will help out too.

57_Ford_15.thumb.jpg.cf64aea7d1258ab2a908f39194bbedd5.jpg

A quick shot of the dash detail... and one of those pesky shadows!

57_Ford_16.jpg.d8819f8a8ad8e217f25944c387f964db.jpg

As always, thanks for taking the time to look and please feel free to comment.

David G.

• Like 1

Hello Everybody!

Just a short, quick update.

I spent most of this build session filing and sanding to get the tail light bezels to match the body contours.

57_Ford_20.jpg.350379ee671529f74e6311fed8613c5b.jpg

Thanks, 

David G.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, customline said:

I think it's a bit odd the way the factory painted the two-tones at the tail light area. Maybe it had to do with the assembly sequence 🤔....yeah, that makes sense....I think.

Odd in what way Jim? To me it looks like Ford picked the center-line between the two panels and split the colors there.

How would you have done it?

1957-ford-fairlane-500-skyliner-e-code(1s).jpg.6b733d1a3e7ddef44ac0b76aff7f58a1.jpg

10 hours ago, slusher said:

Real nice dash detailing!

Thank you Carl.

9 hours ago, ModelcarJR said:

Looking good, David! I like your color choices in the interior! It beats red and white! 😎👍

Thank you John. Red and white isn't bad. But if I were going to use red in a two-tone, it would have been with black.

Thanks,

David G.

33 minutes ago, customline said:

David, I was thinking about the Custom 300 trim, your build is Fairlane trim. My bad 💩1957-ford-country-sedan-rear.jpg.fd0345dfaae8df37c5cf192881c2743e.jpg

Ah, I see now.

I actually considered painting mine like this but ironically that would have been more work to do with a model. The bezels would almost have to be painted separately then attached rather than attached then painted with the body.

Doing it that way would have made fitting them without marring the paint trickier. And I don't think I would have been able to mask them for the kind of clean paint line that would be required.

David G.

Hello Everybody

The work continues on AMT's 1957 Ford Hardtop and here's the proof.

I still have a couple of sink marks on the front fender tops to deal with but I just had to start getting some color down. Here's the masking work for the main body color, Tamiya TS-102 Cobalt Green. And yes, I did catch and trim the overhanging tape on the left front fender. ;) 

57_Ford_21.jpg.7251bb5b0145e981b4979ae332add355.jpg

As always, thanks for taking the time to look and please feel free to post a comment if you so choose.

David G.

• Like 2

David, I see you have masked out the trim. What's your strategy for this? I've only done a few two-tone jobs and the trim got painted in one color or the other. I found the danger is leaving a rough line where the tape was and its difficult to smooth it out before foil applications. My strategy now is to put the tape line on the trim at TDC to allow it to be smoothed during the wet sand/polish operation. This would provide a smooth foil result. But it's just a theory for me at this point. I just wonder how other builders do this (before I screw up a nice two tone job 🤤

58 minutes ago, customline said:

David, I see you have masked out the trim. What's your strategy for this? I've only done a few two-tone jobs and the trim got painted in one color or the other. I found the danger is leaving a rough line where the tape was and its difficult to smooth it out before foil applications. My strategy now is to put the tape line on the trim at TDC to allow it to be smoothed during the wet sand/polish operation. This would provide a smooth foil result. But it's just a theory for me at this point. I just wonder how other builders do this (before I screw up a nice two tone job 🤤

I try to leave the chrome trim as close to being bare plastic as possible. I cover the trim with masking tape and trim tape right where I would cut the foil leaving the trim covered. 

Doing this keeps the trim strips clean and smooth without much more than primer on them preserving the finer details. Cutting the masking tape at the edge of the trim also starts a kind of kerf for the razor blade for when it's time to cut the foil. Hopefully resulting in less chance of wandering blade syndrome.

Hope that helps,

David G.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, David G. said:

I try to leave the chrome trim as close to being bare plastic as possible. I cover the trim with masking tape and trim tape right where I would cut the foil leaving the trim covered. 

Doing this keeps the trim strips clean and smooth without much more than primer on them preserving the finer details. Cutting the masking tape at the edge of the trim also starts a kind of kerf for the razor blade for when it's time to cut the foil. Hopefully resulting in less chance of wandering blade syndrome.

Hope that helps,

David G.

Another advantage to masking in the way you mention is saving the texture of the gold anodized insert in the chrome body trim. This would help whether you're painting or foiling the side trim. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, David G. said:

Hope that helps,

David G.

Yes it does, it makes good sense. I believe I will try it on my next opportunity.  Thanks, Dave!

19 hours ago, espo said:

Another advantage to masking in the way you mention is saving the texture of the gold anodized insert in the chrome body trim. This would help whether you're painting or foiling the side trim. 

Though I normally use this technique I have to admit, that thought was certainly in my mind in this instance.

17 hours ago, customline said:

Yes it does, it makes good sense. I believe I will try it on my next opportunity.  Thanks, Dave!

You're welcome Jim. I'm always happy to share tips and techniques.

David G.

Hello Everybody!

Here's the next update on the 1957 Ford Hardtop by AMT.

With the masking removed, the paint looks pretty good.

57_Ford_22.jpg.9c82f534ebff8b11b2980443f28f9695.jpg

Of course I'll have some clean-up work to do but I expected that.

57_Ford_23.jpg.9f8dbae20bdcd6012322df14ddde567c.jpg

As always, thanks for stopping by for a look and please feel free to comment.

David G.

• Like 4

I had a 2-tone paint phobia for a long time. I got bleed-thru on almost everything. FINALLY I splurged on a 6MM roll of Tamiya masking tape that comes in a dispenser. Which keeps it clean and the edge sharp. I need to go for a roll of the wider one next.

I did an under-hood mask on my GMC tow truck recently. It was 30 minutes to mask and 2 minutes to paint, but worth it. I had to do the black under the hood. I used Tamiya TS-63.

• David G. changed the title to AMT's 1957 Ford Hardtop: WIP