Model Cars Magazine Forum

'64 Chevy II Nova - Moebius/Resto Mod

I wanted to try my hand at simulating some carpet with spray adhesive and embossing powder. The spray glue came out so strong it immediately globbed up. I tried to even it out but it was already to rubbery. I could barely wash and peel it off.

image.thumb.jpeg.1a115d5c55754f391d9f050856b8eecd.jpeg

57 minutes ago, CA Whitecloud said:

I wanted to try my hand at simulating some carpet with spray adhesive and embossing powder. The spray glue came out so strong it immediately globbed up. I tried to even it out but it was already to rubbery. I could barely wash and peel it off.

Plain old Elmers's glue brushed on and then the powder on top works pretty good.

1 hour ago, dwc43 said:

Plain old Elmers's glue brushed on and then the powder on top works pretty good.

So I tried plain old Elmer's glue on the rear deck. I taped over the vent. I got too much glue on the tape so when I peeled it off, the layer of glue came off. If I were to let it dry fully I would never get the tape off.

image.thumb.jpeg.a0f1b49499e21583b58ee457b3dbc569.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CA Whitecloud said:

I forgot to mention the over spray on the tires. Ugh!

image.thumb.jpeg.376a4aa6681c89e61de7a531978c6ec6.jpeg

• Like 1

if its just over spray it might rub off the wheel with a soft cloth. the tyre i'd try washing with dish soap and a toothbrush then if that didn't work i'd use alcohol. since you used elmers (which i assume is just a brand name for pva/white glue) it should wash off too in warm soapy water.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FoMoCo66 said:

You could probably turn the tires around on the wheel so you don't see that. Now the wheel, whell I don't know what to do there.

Luckily soap, water and alcohol got most of the gunk. I'm not sweating the wheel wells.

• Like 1

On 3/2/2024 at 11:42 AM, CA Whitecloud said:

Screenshot2024-02-03151036.jpg.7642c7cc078baed9d5a1364e5fad60ec.jpg

image.jpeg.1fde94b5b0af1faeca8fa0b24e6ae4c2.jpeg

Someone told me there is no such thing as a purple Chevy. We'll see.

Wow thats weird,I know this purple Nova really well.If it’s the same car,its here on Long Island.The owner has had the car forever.

14 minutes ago, CA Whitecloud said:

I still struggle to get an even coat with Molotow for chrome bits.

Looks good. And that's how it goes with molotow, the tips are junk. Apperently you can brush paint them and they come out decent.

Body: Seems to always be my nemesis. Let me know if my plan is sound.

• A couple coats of flat white Rustoleum primer. Appears I may have overscribed. 
  • How many coats of primer before color?
  • Do I wet sand the primer coat, or only dry?

image.jpeg

20240317_121239.jpg

• Like 1

Although seems nice, you can wet sand it before paint. A great controversy here and other forum is the use of Rustoleum, I only use it for chassis, my recommendation, stick with hobby related paint like Tamiya or Extreme Laquer so don’t react with other brands. 

1 hour ago, Pierre_tec said:

A great controversy here and other forum is the use of Rustoleum

Yeah, I know. At least it's a brand new can..HaHa. I have Tamiya primers on order but the weather finally got nice and I could not wait. We'll call it an experiment.

I do want the final "feel" of the flat primer coat/s to be smooth, correct?