Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1960 Ranchero "Ohio " George Montgomery Little Eliminator

In 1960, "Ohio" George Montgomery won the Big Go at the U.S. Nationals in Detroit with his Cadillac powered '33 Willys Gasser as Little Eliminator for the second year in a row. The prize was a new Ranchero sponsored by Autolite. This became his exclusive push vehicle for the rest of his career. This kit is not accurate for a '60 Ranchero. It started as a '61 promo with the addition of Styline custom parts. Then in the seventies they added a big block Chevy, wider tires, and baby moons. In the nineties new wheels and decals. Somewhere the clear red taillights disappeared. In 2013, they decided to backdate it with a new grill and wheels, but left everything else the same. So, the interior, engine and chassis are incorrect. This is typical 1960 AMT sloppy molds, which means scrape, fill, sand. I'm OK with it. Colors are Tamiya racing white and twenty something year old duplicolor Toyota cashmere beige. I modified the molded in tailpipes for straight out exhaust. Seeing as the Chevy engine is incorrect anyway. I also added a Hurst shifter and scribed a few missing panel lines. Fun build, and I have the Willys and Mustang Gasser models for future builds. Thanks for looking.

2v2enCRmzxAVNRq.jpg

2v2enCRToxAVNRq.jpg

2v2enCRV3xAVNRq.jpg

2v2enCRhNxAVNRq.jpg

2v2enCRLjxAVNRq.jpg

2v2enCRg8xAVNRq.jpg

2v2enCRGzxAVNRq.jpg

2v2enCRF3xAVNRq.jpg

2v2enCRWMxAVNRq.jpg

2v2enCRyWxAVNRq.jpg

2v2enCRdvxAVNRq.jpg

• Like 6

On 3/3/2024 at 4:56 PM, ColonelKrypton said:

Very nice.

cheers, Graham 

12 hours ago, ChrisR said:

Looks great!

7 hours ago, Steamboat said:

Beautiful!

7 hours ago, Bainford said:

Interesting subject. I had no idea this version of the Ranchero kit existed.  Nice work, and will look particularly cool pushing the Willys to the line.

One day, someday!

3 hours ago, espo said:

Beautiful looking faithful reproduction of the subject. This kit does leave a lot to be desired, but you have proven what can be done with it. 

1 hour ago, PappyD340 said:

Very nice!

Thanks for all the compliments!