Model Cars Magazine Forum

under to good to be true, hobby time model kits

47 minutes ago, theraif said:

just came across the ad on the old facebook for like super cheap kits could it be true 😁

Watch your wallet.

A lot of scams going on on Facebook lately.

People ordering hundreds of dollars worth of "cheap" kits from questionable sources and receiving nothing but the shaft in return.

Still surprises me how many people are blinded by their pursuit of cheap stuff.

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller
  • Like 3

Lots of "spoof" sites too, that look like the real deal, but don't do anything but get your debit and credit card numbers and clean out your account, or run up bills to the limit.

I posted a warning about one such site, masquerading as a reputable reseller of used model train stuff, over in the "off topic" section.

• Like 2

Hi all, Hobby Time is a scam, as you would expect. They have our address listed as their address, but this is NOT associated with us at all. Companies like these offer kits for dirt cheap, then utilize stolen credit card information to place orders on a web store's site. If something seems too good to be true, it most certainly is. We are in the process of trying to get this page and website taken down, but these things take a long time. Please be careful out there!

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Don't buy anything advertised on Facebook!

I saw a shelving system that held shoes.  From the video on the ad, and the company's website this was the perfect size for the shoe boxes I use for my stamp store.  I ordered, and got bogus tracking information that showed the item delivered to Washington State.  I live in Pennsylvania. Then the ads stopped, the website is down and the customer service email comes back bad.

Then suddenly the ads are back with a completely new company name.  Same video!  I complained to Facebook and got back a message that they reviewed my request and the ad doesn't violate their community standards!

Same with all the ads for Forever Stamps at $20 a roll of 100!  Those are counterfeit stamps produced in China. Facebook allows the ads.

1 hour ago, Tom Geiger said:

I complained to Facebook and got back a message that they reviewed my request and the ad doesn't violate their community standards!

I think that says everything we need to know about facebook, right there.

• Like 1

The ad popped up Instagram and I checked it out. Yes, prices too good to be true! How can this be? So I called the number they provided, it was for a hobby shop back east that had a answering machine saying it was not their ad and they where not responsible for people trying to buy from it. And please don't leave a message about it! 

• Like 2