Model Cars Magazine Forum

A few months ago, I was moving a few things around in one of my model cases, and like a klutz, knocked a big *ss trophy over onto the back quarter panel of my '65 Fury!! :o

Luckily, no paint damage, but it did crush the rear suspension!

As I was hoping to take this model to a show in a couple of weeks, it was time to pull it into the shop for some repairs.

Fortunately, no real "breaks".

Just failures of the glue joints.

This was one of the last models that I assembled using CA glue, and after inspecting how and where the parts came apart, it became quite obvious to me that had I used my current preferred 2-part epoxy for assembly, the damage to the rear suspension would have been much less extensive.

I suppose that the argument could possibly be made that had the rear suspension not collapsed as easily as it did, a breakage could have occurred in a worse spot, such as in the body, but I'll have to wait until I make another stupid mistake to find that out. <_< 

In any case, I was very happy to be able to rescue this, one of my prized models, without any major devastation.

spacer.png

spacer.png

A little dusty, but like new again. ;)

spacer.png

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller
  • Like 6

Nice save. My wife's cat knocked off my 69 Mach One from a high shelf including a bounce off of a hard surface desk. It went into about 20 pieces. It took over a year to get around to putting it back together. It really was never show worthy anyway.

After kitty repairs.JPG

Edited by Bills72sj
Grammar
  • Like 2

Steve which 2 part epoxy are you currently using? I have tried a couple brands and have been using the Bob Smith (I think that’s it) brand but I’ve had a couple joints not holding up that well.

3 hours ago, fordf-100 said:

Steve which 2 part epoxy are you currently using? I have tried a couple brands and have been using the Bob Smith (I think that’s it) brand but I’ve had a couple joints not holding up that well.

JB Weld, "Clear Weld".

Steve