Model Cars Magazine Forum

1967 VW Type 2 Mooneyes Delivery Van - Cali Surfer

Again, many of you follow me on Instagram, so the work in progress wasn’t posted on here, it can be found on my Scott’s Scaled Builds page on IG.

This started with a Hasegawa 67 VW Type 2  delivery van. 

The paint is Mitsubishi Lightning Yellow and a custom mix Pearl White from Splash Paints topped off with Vallejo Matte Clear Coat. 

The weathering was done using several different methods….Salt, sanding, sponge, brush, and streaking fluids. All of the rust was made using Splash Paints red oxide primer, various Vallejo acrylic rust colors, and AK rust streaking fluids. 

The interior was painted using Splash Paints Pure White.  Highlight Model Studios door panels, Highlight Model Studios Mooneyes pedals, Scale Motorsport Euro Plaid decals, and various scale boxes were used throughout. A pair of dice was also a must hanging from the rear view mirror as well. 

The exterior received Highlight Model Studios Safari Windows, headlight visors, windshield wipers, tags/tag bracket, and Mooneyes bumper plaques. 

The antenna was made using a smaller colored ball sewing pin. 

I chose to use some of the kit decals, and I also ordered some custom Mooneyes shop logos for the doors to give it that shop truck look. 

To complete the 70’s Cali look that I was going for, I used a 3d printed roof rack sprayed in Splash Paints Hyper silver, and Tamiya Deck Brown. I then topped it off with a surf board from a random Aoshima kit, which is held on by straps made from 3mm ribbon, and some PE buckles from a racing harness kit. 

The wheels were 3D printed by myself, and designed by Slowlys Models. They are topped using the kit supplied metal Moon Disc caps.  I wanted some pop to them, so I wet sanded and polished them. RB Motion valve stems are used as well. They are finished in Splash Paints rubber black, and the custom mix pearl white.

Thanks for looking and enjoy!! 

IMG_7270.thumb.jpeg.136ed1f4a48652c90122afd1b7d8b2b5.jpeg

IMG_7271.thumb.jpeg.6c4238d660332df36707b468e867d613.jpeg

IMG_7272.thumb.jpeg.7c56451d60a796f5403987d8ac0139be.jpeg

IMG_7273.thumb.jpeg.21fb473461797bc0e417fa315e354af0.jpeg

IMG_7274.thumb.jpeg.515d62764bc70e0e577f48afbe250d0f.jpeg

IMG_7275.thumb.jpeg.87187ba6d094860b66cfccee36ba9ab8.jpeg

IMG_7276.thumb.jpeg.e3a26f09d37565c2c49d7ab1f91a7b7f.jpeg

IMG_7277.thumb.jpeg.beea05669e4defa428fae8753c5d7bfd.jpeg

IMG_7294.thumb.jpeg.e2e08e7ad5045a35e0e754adfff9f26b.jpeg

• Like 7

7 hours ago, o-man said:

Fantastic build!

Thank you!! 

2 hours ago, Chinacar said:

Fantastic model! Has so much character. You have awesome in skill in weathering my friend.

Thanks man!  Not bad for my 2nd weathered build huh? Lol. These builds are so fun. 

55 minutes ago, PappyD340 said:

Super nice!

Thank you sir!! 

10 hours ago, Intmd8r said:

Really like this-nice work 

Thank you Steve!

10 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

That is killer! You have quickly mastered the weathered/patina look and this one is awesome. Nice work buddy!

Thanks Mike! I have to say, I really do enjoy the weathered builds now that I have done a few.  You don't have to be as clean as you do with a nice shiny clear coated build, lol.

1 hour ago, Zippi said:

I'm diggin this bulld.  Love the Safare Front Windshield and the eye lids on the headlights.  Nicely done.            

Thank you!  That is classic VW in my eyes.

47 minutes ago, ChrisR said:

Looks great!!

Thanks man!

9 hours ago, happy grumpy said:

This thing is top notch. Very realistic weathering.

Thank you very much. I’m really starting to get the hang of weathering convincingly.  

3 hours ago, Dragonhawk1066 said:

Outstanding!

Thank you!!

• Like 1