Model Cars Magazine Forum

1940 Ford Coupe

70 Sting

A little bit of a slow down in my modelling world, however, here's the latest build.

Body is painted Mr. Color C-81 Russet Gloss & Tamiya LP-71 Champagne Gold over Tamiya Pink primer then cleared with Mr. Color GX100.

Interior:  a Caramel colour mix of Tamiya acrylic green, red and yellow with XF-64 Red Brown trim then cleared with Tamiya X-35.  Carpeting is Ranger Embossing Powder Potting Soil sealed with Tamiya XF Flat Clear.

Tires & wheels from the spares box were stripped and painted Alclad Chrome + Aqua Gloss.

Notes for this Build (What I Learned):

Fair bit of flash and heavy mould lines.

Scribing panel lines continues to be my nemesis.

First 2-tone paint job.

Hood needed some sanding to allow it slip down past the front fenders.

Cut front and rear bumper mounts from the frame. Filled in front and rear bumper locations and holes in firewall with styrene and putty.

Engine scoop is 2 piece, razor-thin styrene with terrible edges and no discernible front lip. Had 2 V-shaped divots on the sides where they joined. Tried to fix it with liquid putty.  Doesn’t sit very high above the hood - I guess that’s ok.

Removed the side mouldings.

Filed/sanded new hood contour lines to match the body - as they were less pronounced.

Used magnets to hold hood in place - will try this again on a future build.

Heated and widened interior door panel sides so they fit more flush with body.

Removed the moulded-in exhaust, cut out a couple sections of the floor pan and ground/sanded off the muffler/tailpipe.

Drilled out tips on new exhaust.

Cut out original dash gauges and replaced them with the supplied top-mounted gauges.

Used a sewing pin for shifter.

A little Wiring and plumbing - Yamamoto distributor and wires.

Painted the moulded-in wires on firewall for the first time.

Wheel axel hubs were too long and had to be cut flush so the wheels fit inside the wheel wells. Did not use the metal axels included with the kit.

Tail lights needed a fair bit of sanding so they would fit flush.

If you made it through that 👆 here are a few build photos and the final images.  Thanks for letting me waste your time.  8^)

1940FordCoupe_firewall.jpg.f7486dd63e3303fada3bc8fc2fe2118a.jpg1940FordCoupe_floorpan1.jpg.357370fbacdf44ff0ccd3bade775b0c7.jpg1940FordCoupe_guages.jpg.89296c4952c1c8d737a4c74ef0df2439.jpg1940FordCoupe_magnets1.jpg.fb072ea1774d90574099c7e4d75251c5.jpg1940FordCoupe_interior.jpg.5365cb613b38a880059421732e52895e.jpg1940FordCoupe_02.jpg.9a5aa9df5628ba2ed06b4cdd693db2c9.jpg1940FordCoupe_04.jpg.7f71b8421637883e49ce9188e2cab344.jpg1940FordCoupe_08.jpg.ff2f2fbf97fdbb75c70e623d081cf46d.jpg1940FordCoupe_09.jpg.4227b089456b6a3e7f4078dc344ff114.jpg1940FordCoupe_12.jpg.20ce331f86c6d2b374e9bd8022a14f29.jpg1940FordCoupe_15.jpg.2c89589676412f0bc8e66b565979f3be.jpg1940FordCoupe_16.jpg.77eb664c5026c696d0ac0fb430517ee1.jpg1940FordCoupe_20.jpg.21ca13f15727a274219228430cc1afc3.jpg

Edited by 70 Sting
photo removal
  • Like 13

Hey Harry, that is really well done. Love the interior, and the two tone paint looks great!

As they say, "each model is just practice for the next one...". I have had a few months of lacking modeling mojo as it were. When I start to fixate on, or notice, the flaws more than the enjoyment of the hobby, and what I may have gotten "right" on a build, I know it is time to take a break and do something else.

Keep plugging away, and looking forward to more of your builds. 😉

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Great job Harry...the changes you made really improves this kit!!

Thanks Mike. I'm usually more of an out of the box builder, however, depending upon which version you choose to build, there aren't many parts to the kit so it lends itself to modification.

14 hours ago, SpikeSchumacher said:

Hey Harry, that is really well done. Love the interior, and the two tone paint looks great!

As they say, "each model is just practice for the next one...". I have had a few months of lacking modeling mojo as it were. When I start to fixate on, or notice, the flaws more than the enjoyment of the hobby, and what I may have gotten "right" on a build, I know it is time to take a break and do something else.

Keep plugging away, and looking forward to more of your builds. 😉

Thanks Spike.

You said it perfectly. A little OCD can be crippling in this hobby. I believe it takes a lot of reps to be able to ignore the the flaws and realize its just a piece of plastic... plus most of us aren't getting rich building model kits. 

👊👊

13 hours ago, Rattlecan Dan said:

Really nice job! Clean and nicely detailed work. Nice stance and great looking interior.

13 hours ago, XYHARRY said:

Very clean build and that wood treatment on the steering wheel looks great, well done. 

Cheers, 

David. 😎👍

Thanks fellas. From what I gather, the 40 Ford is one of those kits that everyone will build at some point in this hobby. I think it lends itself well to modification and different build styles from stock to restomod to rusted-out junker.

12 hours ago, 1hobby1 said:

This is very well done. For a first time two tone, it’s extremely impressive. Great color choice and build. One to be proud of!

Thanks Steve.  A little trick I picked up along the way is to spray a little clear along the making tape before applying the second colour. This way the clear will sneak through any gaps under the tape before the colour does - hopefully sealing in those gaps.  Dunno, you probably knew that anyway.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ncbuckeye67 said:

Good read of an excellent build! Sometimes it's nice to hear a detailed back story, on how the final product came about.

Information from other builders has saved me a lot of headaches along the way.  8^)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 70 Sting said:

Thanks Steve.  A little trick I picked up along the way is to spray a little clear along the making tape before applying the second colour. This way the clear will sneak through any gaps under the tape before the colour does - hopefully sealing in those gaps.  Dunno, you probably knew that anyway.

That is great advice and I did not know that trick. Great job 👍🏼

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 70 Sting said:

the 40 Ford is one of those kits that everyone will build at some point in this hobby

The AMT 40 Ford Trophy Series was the first kit I ever built back in 1959 and have not built another one. That being said the 40 Ford Coupe is my all-time favorite Ford and I have a couple in my stash. You have done a magnificent job with this build. Your choice of colors and their application are excellent, and they go so well with your choice of interior colors. The stance looks just right for the style of build you chose. Really like this build.

• Like 1

Great looking paint finish, and the two-tone colors look good together. The interior colors look great as well, like the way the colors work together. Good engine detailing. Hard to change the overall look of a '40 Ford without goofing it up somehow, not the case here as thew changes seem to look good for a Street Rod. 

• Thanks 1