Model Cars Magazine Forum

My first  completed build of 2024 is Revell's 1985 IMSA Mustang ...Built from the box applying the original, nearly 40 year old decals! Expecting the worst, I was fortunate that Tamiya Decal Set and a lot of lip biting had worked. I used Tamiya and Mr Hobby paints and primers throughout the build. Two coats of Mr Hobby Super Clear applied from a rattle can finished off the body. I also added a thin gauge wire to represent a roof antenna. After the build I came across some reference photos and noticed that the real car had a NASCAR style window net. I think I'll apply one in the future. Enjoy the photos. 

NEWside.jpg

NEWtopside.jpg

NEWrear3:4.jpg

NEWtop.jpg

NEWfront.jpg

Edited by Chinacar
Duplicate photo
  • Like 11

11 minutes ago, '70 Grande said:

Great looking build! I have one of these IMSA Mustang kits in line to start building some day in the near future... other than the old decals, did you have any other challenges when building this kit?

Clean up the flash around the clear parts. Do a test fit of all the windows before gluing them in. Also the fuel filler that goes through the rear window hatch hangs in space, so test fit the glass and body first before gluing the filler and hose to the fuel tank.

The front part of the rollbar was warped, so it was easier to cut and reglue to reposition it rather than try to bend it back and completely screw it up. The rollbar pieces in general are fragile so you may find some are warped, so I would do a bit of test fitting.

The body sits high over the wheels, especially in the rear. So making sure everything in the rollbar department is sitting down snug against the chassis is important. The engine assembly pushed the hood up, so with this too I would make sure that the parts stack is tight with no paint, glue or chrome making clearance worse.

This is the second one of these kits that I've built with the JPS black one being the first about 20 years ago. They really build into a nice kit, though the chrome is a bit too heavy and bright. You can always hit it with Mr Hobby Clear Matt or strip and repaint it.

Good luck!

• Like 1

This kit was no walk in the park. You really did a great job with it.  I built this one many years ago  and eventually built the entire line-up. I was never happy with the fit and finish of my project and you just may be the incentive for me to re-visit this kit.

21 minutes ago, Rich Chernosky said:

This kit was no walk in the park. You really did a great job with it.  I built this one many years ago  and eventually built the entire line-up. I was never happy with the fit and finish of my project and you just may be the incentive for me to re-visit this kit.

I saw a post in another forum that there are aftermarket decals available for these kits. This is great because you won't have to deal with 40 year old decals!

2 hours ago, Chinacar said:

I saw a post in another forum that there are aftermarket decals available for these kits. This is great because you won't have to deal with 40 year old decals!

There is a way of saving old decals that I have been using for a long time now.  But it is not as good as new...  Indycals  has this set and that is the direction I will be taking.  Thanks for the reply. 

Posted (edited)
On 3/13/2024 at 11:16 PM, Rich Chernosky said:

There is a way of saving old decals that I have been using for a long time now.  But it is not as good as new...  Indycals  has this set and that is the direction I will be taking.  Thanks for the reply. 

Please share.

Currently all I do is spray on a coat of Mr Hobby high gloss clear over the decal sheet. Then I carefully close cut all of the decals up. Some of the larger decals I cut up into smaller pieces especially around door cuts and hood/trunk splits. I align them when I put them on the car. I use Mr Hobby Mr Mark Softener during application. After the decals have dried for a day or two I apply a tack coat of Mr Hobby high gloss clear, followed by a couple of heavier coats. During the first coat if the decal lifts I carefully apply PVA (white glue) with a toothpick after the clear has dried and settle it back down. I don't use Tamiya clear anymore although I feel it's a higher gloss than Mr Hobby, because I've had decal slivering issues under the Tamiya. 

Edited by Chinacar

• 2 weeks later...