Model Cars Magazine Forum

Autoquiz #599 - Finished

Before AC delivered bodies to Shelby American in the early 1960's they build this overpriced, not that attractive looking coupe. It was more expensive than a Jaguar XK150. Only 82 AC Greyhound  plus 1 prototype were build between 1959 and 1963. They were powered by a 2.0l AC 6 cyl. or a 2.0l 6cyl. Bristol engine. Lat the Bristol engine was replaced by a 2.6. Ford Zephyr engine.

The correct answer were sent in by:

Matt Bacon

thatz4u

Ace-Garageguy

otherunicon

DonW

Thom

Congratulations

Auotquiz 599.jpg

Edited by carsntrucks4you

Even if you didn't know it right off, the resemblance to an Aston Martin DB4 with a different face marks it as most likely English, and the styling is late '50s early '60s, so a logical starting point is searching images of that period English car builders.

I plugged in the image-search term "AC cars 1960s" into floogle, and an image of this thing came up about halfway down the first page.

image.png.47b60ce46ac454cc61788359d67cb398.png

19 hours ago, TarheelRick said:

I was on the wrong side of the world looking for this one. It has some similarities to 60's Datsun products.

That wouldn't have occurred to me but you're right - however I can guess who is likely to have copied - sorry, 'was influenced by' who!