Model Cars Magazine Forum

International Harvester Metro Mite

I'm attempting to scratch build an International Harvester Metro Mite in 1/25 scale.  A Metro Mite was used in the 1985 NBC TV series, Misfits Of Science as an Ice Cream truck.  This is the version I want to build.  The show is a favorite of mine.

I picked up a Metro Mite Brochure on E-bay that had the specs and dimensional drawings.  I started cutting out the sides using .060"(1.5mm) sheet styrene.  The lower sides angle out so I'm experimenting with ways to replicate it.  I would like to make the rear door roll up and I'm considering making the side doors slide open.  However the doors curve out below the windows and I'd have to make the lower sides of the body curve out not only on the outside but the inside as well.  The ice cream truck was only seen with the side doors closed in 2 shots in the pilot episode and the rest of the time they were open so I'm considering just making them in a fixed open position.  This would solve some problems and make it easier.  In the pilot the freezer unit on the roof was taller than the rest of the series so I might make it removable so I can use both.

Does anyone have ideas on how to make the angled out lower body/sliding doors?

I posted pictures of one test I did for the lower body.  It will require cutting out the lower part of the side wall and gluing in the angled section.  Another option would be to add an angled section on top of the side wall using thinner sheet styrene than I have in the picture.

I appreciate any ideas and/or comments anyone can share.

Thanks,

Michael.

IMG_1336 Small.jpg

IMG_1337 Small.jpg

IMG_1338 Small.jpg

IMG_1339 Small.jpg

IMG_1340 Small.jpg

MOS Ice Cream Truck Series.jpg

MOS Ice Cream Truck Pilot 1.jpg

MOS Ice Cream Truck Pilot 2.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by crowe-t
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

Hi Michael. Interesting project.😎 Maybe you could make the panels from 3 or more pieces laminated something like this? Good luck with it!🙂

IMG_1390.jpeg

Greg,  Thanks for the drawing.  I'm still brainstorming on this one.  So far I'm liking what I came up with.  I just have to test a few more ideas out.

Work continues on the floor.  I made the doghouse using measurements a member of a group on Facebook sent me.  To get the angle of the floor under the doghouse I placed the doghouse upside down under the floor after I glued it in place.  It worked well.  I then held the doghouse in place to support the firewall while the glue dried.  I'll add the extended floor under the doghouse which is for the in line 6 cylinder engine I'm using.  The 8 cylinder option had a shorter doghouse and didn't have the floor extension.

IMG_1381 Small.jpg

IMG_1383 Small.jpg

IMG_1384 Small.jpg

IMG_1452 Small.jpg

IMG_1457 Small.jpg

IMG_1458 Small.jpg

IMG_1459 Small.jpg

IMG_1460 Small.jpg

• Like 2

Always enjoy someone using their imagination to build something out of the ordinary. Your work is right on target. You mentioned an in-line 6, what chassis and other drivetrain are you using?

13 minutes ago, TarheelRick said:

Always enjoy someone using their imagination to build something out of the ordinary. Your work is right on target. You mentioned an in-line 6, what chassis and other drivetrain are you using?

I saw a 1971 Metro Mite on YouTube that has an AMC in line 6.  I ordered an AMT AMC Pacer Wagon kit for the in line 6.  I had also bought an AMT International Scout II kit but the chassis is not the same.  

A member of a group on Facebook took measurements and sent me pictures of part of the chassis rails he took out of his Metro Mite.  It's unibody but does have chassis rails welded to the floor.  The chassis rails are channeled on the inside so I ordered some Evergreen channels that I'll use for the rails.  Unless I can find a front axle I'll just scratch build one.  These had a straight front axle with leaf springs.  

For the rear end I might use one from an AMT Ford Econoline van.  It seems to be the right width and looks close to the one in the AMT Scout II kit which is a bit shorter.

I have some small pictures showing the chassis/underside of a Metro Mite I found online.  I'll do the best I can to make it look correct.  There's not a lot of information on these.

Posted (edited)

I have to figure out what to use for the window glass.  I have acetate but it's not stiff enough for the large front windows.  I also have some Evergreen clear sheet styrene but it has a texture on it.  Maybe Plastruct or another brand has clear sheet styrene that's smooth.  

Edited by crowe-t

4 hours ago, crowe-t said:

I have to figure out what to use for the window glass.  I have acetate but it's not stiff enough for the large front windows.  I also have some Evergreen clear sheet styrene but it has a texture on it.  Maybe Plastruct or another brand has clear sheet styrene that's smooth.  

Plastruct clear sheet copolyester a.k.a. PET-G is used by many modelers, clearer than styrene. Glue it in with flexible white glue. Can be heat molded too.

Love your project, looks neatly done, the cuts are straight and accurate

Edited by hct728(Bob)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, hct728(Bob) said:

Plastruct clear sheet copolyester a.k.a. PET-G is used by many modelers, clearer than styrene. Glue it in with flexible white glue. Can be heat molded too.

Love your project, looks neatly done, the cuts are straight and accurate

Thanks Bob.

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

I got some more work done on the Metro Mite.  The doghouse is glued in and I cut out the floor for the engine.  I added 1mm sheet styrene that I filed at a slight angle to the fenders.  I'll add some putty to the fenders and angle it some more.  The front of the floor/firewall area is angled in a bit and I started cutting out the wheel openings in the fenders and quarter panels.   

IMG_1612 Small.jpg

IMG_1611 Small.jpg

IMG_1615 Small.jpg

IMG_1616 Small.jpg

IMG_1617 Small.jpg

Edited by crowe-t
  • Like 1