Model Cars Magazine Forum

As usual, a few idiot jerks ruin things for everyone else...

We had one very good cruise night for a long time, the Bellmore train station, Long Island NY, not far from me. Pre covid, it was always jammed and if you got there past 5 on a Friday night, you may not get a spot.

In the past, it was shut down for a number of years due to drag racing on Sunrise Highway outside of the venue and people doing burnouts INSIDE the venue. It has been open a solid 10 or 12 years so far.

Posted (edited)

Irresponsible individuals gave the whole postwar hot-rod movement a bad name. "Serious" car clubs working with local communities opened many dragstrips to channel the competitive spirit into safe venues...most of which are long gone, bulldozed to build housing developments and shopping malls.

The simple truth is that when owners of 500+HP vehicles gather in one place, the temptation to show off and/or race can be overwhelming for those lacking sufficient self-control...and those who have no sweat-equity in actually building their cars are probably going to be more likely to abuse them.

EDIT: Somehow, I don't see a resurgence of local dragstrips in this safety-obsessed world we live in now. The last one reasonably close to me closed years ago, after owners of homes built nearby long after the strip was built (in the middle of nowhere at the time) complained so loudly about the noise that the facility was shut down by the local gubmint.

The closest one now is about an hour and a half away, still quite accessible for those who race responsibly, but not worth the effort for the others.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 5

On 3/15/2024 at 7:14 AM, bobss396 said:

What is it... maybe people are not used to RWD cars or the horsepower? I have a Mustang with the Ecoboost 2.3 liter, good for around 320 HP. Really not enough to get me into trouble. You have to be careful around crowds with hotter cars. 

Possibly, though I nearly got in trouble with only 146hp and FWD with my first car,  turbo came on and the car tried ripping the wheel out of my hand.

On 3/15/2024 at 5:02 PM, JollySipper said:

When the Viper and GTS were released, they made folks who wanted to buy one take a driver's course first! Maybe something like that should be done for cars over a certain horsepower........

I’m beginning to think that is a good idea in general, but especially with some of the large, high powered, and heavy vehicles, be it internal combustion or EV. Saw a video about the new Escalade IQ, it’s a full sized SUV that weighs 8600lbs, can reach 60mph in under 5 seconds, and is so large that it’s 24” rims don’t look cartoonishly big on it. Make me a bit nervous to be around one of those or the new Charger EV (5600lbs) and not knowing what kind of driver is behind the wheels of vehicles like that……especially if I’m a pedestrian or I get a bicycle and start riding again.

• Like 2

Looking at some electric cars 0 to  60 stats makes very interesting reading.

Rapid acceleration of a vehicle weighing much more generally than a petrol or diesel.

Maybe another recipe for disaster for that hard core of idiot drivers where their car outperforms their IQ !

Edited by Bugatti Fan
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Bugatti Fan said:

Looking at some electric cars 0 to  60 stats makes very interesting reading.

Rapid acceleration of a vehicle weighing much more generally than a petrol or diesel.

Maybe another recipe for disaster for that hard core of idiot drivers where their car outperforms their IQ !

Yeah, I’ve seen videos of wrecks from lack of talent compared to HP or just plain stupidity/entitlement, enough to make me think that a real drivers Ed and/or mandatory high performance driving experience type classes should be mandatory above 200-250hp and/or above 5000lbs.

3 hours ago, Joe Handley said:

Yeah, I’ve seen videos of wrecks from lack of talent compared to HP or just plain stupidity/entitlement, enough to make me think that a real drivers Ed and/or mandatory high performance driving experience type classes should be mandatory above 200-250hp and/or above 5000lbs.

This should be something the insurance companies could implement. If you take the class then you would get a substantial discount on your insurance.

4 hours ago, Joe Handley said:

Well, just because someone took the mandatory education and know how to handle the vehicle, there is  no guarantee that they still won't make a dumb choice and go wild.  Some people can't help themselves. They just don't think of consequences. 

Call me cynical.

Edited by peteski
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, peteski said:

Well, just because someone took the mandatory education and know how to handle the vehicle, there is  no guarantee that they still won't make a dumb choice and go wild.  Some people can't help themselves. They just don't think of consequences. 

Call me cynical.

It would at least help on the skill part, hopefully impart the need to keep the phone and latte in the center console while driving one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1