Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/12 Tamiya Williams FW14B

Hello, this is my first time to post my model with here.

I used Tamiya's model with Top Studio set. About the cable, rivet, and clamping band, I prefer to use MFH's product.

Here is the progress so far.

20240224_003709.jpg

20240224_005221~2.jpg

20240318_011155.jpg

• Like 7

Nice, I am building this model, but not to your level of detail.  Keep showing your work, I enjoy it!

Also, I have used that yellow Tamiya tape.  It leaves a residue on painted surfaces and distorts the clear or paint.  Do you have the same problem?

Edited by steveracer
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, steveracer said:

Nice, I am building this model, but not to your level of detail.  Keep showing your work, I enjoy it!

Also, I have used that yellow Tamiya tape.  It leaves a residue on painted surfaces and distorts the clear or paint.  Do you have the same problem?

Thanks, I also hope I can keep this performance.

About the tape, I normally stick on my hand first to reduce the adhesive.

On 3/18/2024 at 4:14 AM, okazaki0511 said:

Hello, this is my first time to post my model with here.

I used Tamiya's model with Top Studio set. About the cable, rivet, and clamping band, I prefer to use MFH's product.

Here is the progress so far.

This is sick (an English expression for really good). I have the kit and the TS Master Detail set. After seeing this, it's questionable whether I will create a WIP thread when I feel ready to begin assembling it.

I quoted your text because it's very helpful to know about your choices and methods. Even this little bit is very interesting to me. I no longer have the steadiness for most of this, but I sincerely hope to see your work accompanied by as much explanation as you're willing to document for us. This is masterful work.

I have many questions, but I'll limit myself to two: What adhesive do you use for the wiring and piping? And, is that MFH carbon fiber decal? It has that heavy MFH look that I would have thought would interfere with the fitment of those parts. If so, I'm surprised to see how well it worked.

Edited by 4knflyin
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, 4knflyin said:

This is sick (an English expression for really good). I have the kit and the TS Master Detail set. After seeing this, it's questionable whether I will create a WIP thread when I feel ready to begin assembling it.

I quoted your text because it's very helpful to know about your choices and methods. Even this little bit is very interesting to me. I no longer have the steadiness for most of this, but I sincerely hope to see your work accompanied by as much explanation as you're willing to document for us. This is masterful work.

I have many questions, but I'll limit myself to two: What adhesive do you use for the wiring and piping? And, is that MFH carbon fiber decal? It has that heavy MFH look that I would have thought would interfere with the fitment of those parts. If so, I'm surprised to see how well it worked.

I am glad you like it. If you are interested in the progress, you can search " Okazaki's F1 model " on Facebook, which is my personal blog to record the progress by Chinese. It has more details and pictures. You can save a lot of time to build it because the sequence is quite complicated. If still hard to understand, please send the message to me. I will try to explain it by my poor English.

I use 3M's instant glue for wire bond. About the carbon, I tend to use S.K.decals square pattern for the engine part and MFH's wave pattern for others.

20240201_212802.jpg

20231227_000505~2.jpg

Edited by okazaki0511
Add picture
  • Like 4

17 hours ago, okazaki0511 said:

I am glad you like it. If you are interested in the progress, you can search " Okazaki's F1 model " on Facebook, which is my personal blog to record the progress by Chinese.

I don't have a FB account, but I think I'll get one to benefit from your chronicle of events. Sequence is important, and even in the three months since I started doing this, often I've discovered the only practical sequence after failing on two or three attempts to put some seemingly simple parts together. 

These pics are of the MFH 1/12 ignition from their their little DFV detail kit. I still think I got the painting and assembly sequences wrong. I practically tore my hair out to get it to this state. It took over an hour and multiple sequences, including which part to apply the cement to, just to get it to where I was willing to accept the defects (I'm actually satisfied with it's glaring defects and very relieved that it's over). As I mentioned, much of my difficulty comes from a loss of steadiness in my hands, and there's no way to compensate for that, except to accept otherwise infuriating errors.

IMG_5770Medium.jpeg.d9d1afdafb244904d4730dae00af895d.jpeg

IMG_5769Medium.jpeg.4acd6e82dfbbf55b2f3fcf63a0402979.jpeg

Edited by 4knflyin
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

Update some progress.

The cockpit painting was finished, just wait a sunny day for the clear spray. I sharpened some corner and adjusted the thickness to make sure it looks like a real car. Also used a lot of carbon decals to improve the realism. 

20240501_011147.thumb.jpg.d41268a0466c3cc3c0352839ecc5f80a.jpg

20240501_010927.thumb.jpg.a553f2b2bf9a81c5331ac1848525e58e.jpg

20240501_005943.thumb.jpg.85b02bbb73e8ec743306e6e647f715ff.jpg

Edited by okazaki0511
Adjust the picture's space
  • Like 4

That is an extremely nice paint job. I can’t even imagine how the masking was done and what that looked like to produce this Michelangelo. 😄

Did you need to prep the CF decal before painting to hide the texture, or did its texture flatten just by coating it?

Beautiful job. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 4knflyin said:

That is an extremely nice paint job. I can’t even imagine how the masking was done and what that looked like to produce this Michelangelo. 😄

Did you need to prep the CF decal before painting to hide the texture, or did its texture flatten just by coating it?

Beautiful job. 

Do you mean the sequence of the process? I will do the painting first. After that, use Tamiya's yellow tape to describe the shape of carbon fiber and stick on the decal to cut it. It probably needs several pieces. Then, spray the clear paint and polish it to hide the gap between the different decals. It is really exhausting.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, okazaki0511 said:

Do you mean the sequence of the process? I will do the painting first. After that, use Tamiya's yellow tape to describe the shape of carbon fiber and stick on the decal to cut it. It probably needs several pieces. Then, spray the clear paint and polish it to hide the gap between the different decals. It is really exhausting.

Yes, the (all-important) sequence. Thank you. I would never have guessed that the paint went on before the CF decal that abuts it!

The only textured CF decal I'm familiar with is from Tamiya (remember that I'm new to all the advances in modeling that have occured over the past 45 years). They warn that clear coating will flatten the CF's 3D details. 

"Then, spray the clear paint and polish it to hide the gap between the different decals. It is really exhausting." 🤯 LOL. Now I'm going to look to see if I can detect any of the different pieces of CF.

You're coating work, including decals, is exquisite.

(另外,我為在你的帖子中發布我的工作照片而道歉。當我查看你最近的帖子時,看到它很不舒服。😳 我不介意人們在我的帖子中發布照片,因為他們這樣做是為了幫助我。除了讚美我沒有什麼可以給你的,所以他們不屬於。)

Edited by 4knflyin
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, 4knflyin said:

Yes, the (all-important) sequence. Thank you. I would never have guessed that the paint went on before the CF decal that abuts it!

The only textured CF decal I'm familiar with is from Tamiya (remember that I'm new to all the advances in modeling that have occured over the past 45 years). They warn that clear coating will flatten the CF's 3D details. 

"Then, spray the clear paint and polish it to hide the gap between the different decals. It is really exhausting." 🤯 LOL. Now I'm going to look to see if I can detect any of the different pieces of CF.

You're coating work, including decals, is exquisite.

(另外,我為在你的帖子中發布我的工作照片而道歉。當我查看你最近的帖子時,看到它很不舒服。😳 我不介意人們在我的帖子中發布照片,因為他們這樣做是為了幫助我。除了讚美我沒有什麼可以給你的,所以他們不屬於。)

My building sequence is as follows. primer -> color paint -> clear paint -> decal -> clear paint 3 or 4 times for all -> polish -> semi-gloss or matt for carbon area

I think the clear paint on the carbon decal should be OK. 248F1 used the same procedure. You can check the carbon area.

DSC_3777.thumb.jpg.a600c55fe2390120c5f7d0d0d7a8baa6.jpg