Model Cars Magazine Forum

49 Ford Coupe Altered drag car

Hello everyone. I am building this coupe it kinda fits in what class a A/FX or S/SX class, pre funny, I don’t know. I altered the back half of the chassis 12’ and set the engine back 10’ . I scratched built the rear end housing brackets shackles and the ladder bars and also the front leaf springs, shackles and the straight axle, working on the shocks now. More to come…

IMG_6150.jpeg

IMG_6151.jpeg

IMG_6152.jpeg

IMG_6158.jpeg

IMG_6184.jpeg

IMG_6186.jpeg

IMG_6187.jpeg

IMG_6189.jpeg

IMG_6191.jpeg

Edited by Tony Coomer
Spelling
  • Like 6

Looks great. Ladder bars a little bit long and you need a set of floaters when using them with leaf springs. I need to look that up, I'm not sure when they went to 33in. ladder bars. Anything longer than that usually guarantees a wheel stand.

1e97947fe02565aa7d6dbd121669384f.jpg

• Like 2

Looks really good, very nice fabrication...but just a note on classes and tech:

This build would most likely fall into a "gasser" class, if it has minimum required "street" equipment like lights, etc., and depending on the year you want to represent. Specific class is determined by engine displacement, whether or not it's supercharged, and vehicle weight.

A/FX was for "factory experimental", and was limited to fairly current production cars of the 1960s.

S/SX was supercharged experimental stock, just prior to full-blown funnycars, but rules specified a '64 or newer body for the  /SX classes.

This link goes a fairly complete, pretty accurate overview of older classes.   https://nitroslots.com/thread/398/drag-racing-classses

AND...DWC is absolutely correct about "sliders" being necessary with ladder-bars and semi-elliptic leaf springs. The rear suspension will bind without them. There are several different designs, so some research would be appropriate for your specific setup.

6 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

This build would most likely fall into a "gasser" class, if it has minimum required "street" equipment like lights, etc., and depending on the year you want to represent. Specific class is determined by engine displacement, whether or not it's supercharged, and vehicle weight.

AND...DWC is absolutely correct about "sliders" being necessary with ladder-bars and semi-elliptic leaf springs. The rear suspension will bind without them. There are several different designs, so some research would be appropriate for your specific setup.

I understand how the suspension would bind, but does that mean all the gassers built here with ladder bars are wrong?

1 hour ago, Oldriginal86 said:

I understand how the suspension would bind, but does that mean all the gassers built here with ladder bars are wrong?

Cars with coil springs and cars with quarter-elliptics (like the first Stone-Woods-Cook Willys) don't need sliders.

Anything with semi-elliptic springs and ladder bars will need sliders.

I got bogged down on one of my own builds when I had a DOH moment as I realized I'd need to fab sliders for the build to be right.

You can leave your ladder bars as they are, and only fab sliders that are mounted to the axle, but allow the springs to slide through them.

Here's one style, pretty easy to make.     

https://pitstopusa.com/i-23908156-competition-engineering-floating-housing-mount-bolt-on.html

image.png.581a0bb0956f338b3025b6f815f506da.png

EDIT: This is about the simplest slider setup. The brackets weld to the housing, and the spring rides free on the rollers.

image.png.f703617d89165289937e64134ff76699.png   

https://www.chassisengineering.com/product-category/rear-suspensions-and-accessories/ladder-bars/housing-floaters/

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, James2 said:

I remember building model cars just for fun.....

Y'all can do anything you want.

2 hours ago, FoMoCo66 said:

Now it's got to be just right and accurate 🙄.

It does for ME...but YOU don't HAVE to make ANYTHING "just right and accurate".

AND...I'm not criticising the guy's work. I'm OFFERING KNOWLEDGE.

Believe it or not, there are some people who value knowledge.

EDIT: My apologies, Tony and Randy. I'll gladly remove my posts if you'd like. I just thought you might like to know.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

AND...I'm not criticizing the guy's work. I'm OFFERING KNOWLEDGE.

I value elicited knowledge, and spell check...

• Haha 1

No apologies needed. Not my thread. I haven’t run across this before and was trying to gain some knowledge. I’m building the Moebius Nova and it has leafs and ladder bars and from what I’m seeing is wrong. My apologies to the OP, Tony, for plugging up his WIP. Nice scratch building on the chassis by the way.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

EDIT: My apologies, Tony. I'll gladly remove my posts from your thread. I just thought you might like to know.

I know, I always appreciate knowledge from people who know a lot about that topic (and any other knowledge). I was just kidding around with I just get that feeling sometimes when I'm working.

Edit: let's get back to the original topic. Can't wait to see more of this build.

Edited by FoMoCo66
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, dwc43 said:

Looks great. Ladder bars a little bit long and you need a set of floaters when using them with leaf springs. I need to look that up, I'm not sure when they went to 33in. ladder bars. Anything longer than that usually guarantees a wheel stand.

Thanks for the info.  I never thought about the length but it makes since and the floaters would make since as well. I will take this knowledge and apply it to my next build…

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

A/FX was for "factory experimental", and was limited to fairly current production cars of the 1960s.

S/SX was supercharged experimental stock, just prior to full-blown funnycars, but rules specified a '64 or newer body for the  /SX classes.

This link goes a fairly complete, pretty accurate overview of older classes.   https://nitroslots.com/thread/398/drag-racing-classses

Your info is greatly appreciated. I literally spent about 6 hours the other day on George Klass web site and the rule books on here trying to figure out what class this fit in. I was going for early 60s type pre funny car build, but a gasser class could make since.The inspiration for this build come from Jack Chrismans comet, which I plan on doing if I could ever find the decals, also thanks the info on the floaters I will incorporate into my next build as I’m planning on building another one of these cars…

• Like 4

11 hours ago, dwc43 said:

2 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

EDIT: My apologies, Tony and Randy. I'll gladly remove my posts if you'd like. I just thought you might like to know.

Your post is appreciated greatly, my interest “now” are in late 50’s and 60’s drag cars and slingshot style dragsters. But accurate is what I’m striving for. I’m only building fantasy or what is what if builds but if I’m doing it I want it to be accurate and to look like you can get in the car and drive it…

• Like 4

3 hours ago, James2 said:

I remember building model cars just for fun.....

You are absolutely correct. This hobby is for what ever makes you happy and relaxes you at the end of the day. As long as you walk by your model shelf and you get a smile from what you created is what this hobby is all about. 

• Like 6

Thanks everyone for the great comments and suggestions they are very greatly appreciated and I’m enjoying the knowledge for my future builds. I have everything ready for paint just waiting for a box of MCW goodies to arrive and it paint booth bound…

• Like 1

Very nice chassis work so far! And, I love these Shoebox Fords so I know this one will be a cool project. B)

As far as the accuracy and correct racing classes, I guess we all build just for fun, but personally I think one of the cool things in modeling is to do the research on the subject, and then trying to create an accurate version of it in scale. After all, it's a pretty small amount of time what it takes to do the research and figure out how something should be done in order to be accurate, compared to the actual model building itself, so I think it's worth it.

Someone will disagree and build their model without even thinking about old class rules or anything like that...And that's okay too!:)

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Tony Coomer said:

Your info is greatly appreciated. I literally spent about 6 hours the other day on George Klass web site and the rule books on here trying to figure out what class this fit in. I was going for early 60s type pre funny car build, but a gasser class could make since.The inspiration for this build come from Jack Chrismans comet, which I plan on doing if I could ever find the decals, also thanks the info on the floaters I will incorporate into my next build as I’m planning on building another one of these cars…

Go on line and check out pole cat decal’s he makes the Chrisman comet decals that you’re looking for plus a whole bunch of other great decals. I really like your build don’t sweat they small stuff it’s just a model that’s going to look great on your shelf.

• Thanks 1