Model Cars Magazine Forum

1964 Oldsmobile 442 match racer

bogger44

I rolled this one off the assembly line last night.  I'm calling it a match racer as I didn't build it to any certain class rules.  This was a really fun, albeit simple, build.  A good chunk of it is out of the box parts.  My parts boxes did cough up the wheels, tires, and decals.  In adjusting the stance I raised the front a touch more than I had planned, but I think it still looks good.  It would be an easy re-do if I'd ever change my mind on it.  Paint is Tamiya TS-49 Bright Red, definitely more red than the slightly orangish hue the pics show.  The interior is shot in the same red, but over a base of TS-33 Dull Red so it would be slightly darker than the exterior.  Since looking at the pictures, I think I may try to clean up the little paint slop in the headlight buckets, hadn't noticed that.  Thanks for lookin' and any comments or questions.

2v2eFEJnGxAKN8F.jpg

2v2eFEHEdxAKN8F.jpg

2v2eFEHqCxAKN8F.jpg

2v2eFEEvLxAKN8F.jpg

2v2eFEHV5xAKN8F.jpg

2v2eFEHSyxAKN8F.jpg

2v2eFEHLmxAKN8F.jpg

2v2eFEHCrxAKN8F.jpg

2v2eFEHgTxAKN8F.jpg

2v2eFEHWSxAKN8F.jpg

2v2eFEEPCxAKN8F.jpg

• Like 15

Very nicely done Oldsmobile! I think the stance looks great and I love those red headlights too. Excellent paint job and very clean work BMF'ing the chrome trim. Nice work!

34 minutes ago, bogger44 said:

Thanks a bunch guys, glad you all like my take on this kit.  I was really trying to give it a period correct vibe and think I pulled it off respectably.

Absolutely!

Many thanks again guys!

On 3/24/2024 at 10:37 PM, Sledsel said:

I like everything about it. Ya did a great job on that narrow side trim for sure!

23 hours ago, Bainford said:

What a great looking build. I just love the vibe. It's got a great feel, everything about it looks right. Nice clean work too, and a tip of the hat on that foil work also. 

I was really fretting doing that side trim.  I cut those strips, with a straightedge, right from the sheet then applied them to the body.  No way was I going to try free-handing it all the way down the body with a knife.  I did unintentionally cut them slightly wider than the molded in trim but I'm good with it.  The vertical part up front is a separate piece which I applied like normal.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bogger44 said:

Many thanks again guys!

I was really fretting doing that side trim.  I cut those strips, with a straightedge, right from the sheet then applied them to the body.  No way was I going to try free-handing it all the way down the body with a knife.  I did unintentionally cut them slightly wider than the molded in trim but I'm good with it.  The vertical part up front is a separate piece which I applied like normal.

Nice! I have tried applying pre-cut BMF myself a few times, and it's tricky work. 

2 minutes ago, Bainford said:

Nice! I have tried applying pre-cut BMF myself a few times, and it's tricky work. 

This was my first time trying that method, and agree it is a bit tricky.  I did have better luck than I thought I would.  Hardest part was trying to keep it from twisting around while applying.

• Like 1