Model Cars Magazine Forum

Back in '97 when the newly redesigned pickups from Ford hit the market, some say they completely caught GM asleep at the wheel. With bold, rounded, but completely recognizable appearance as a Ford product, the trucks took on an even larger appeal to truck buyers, and again helped Ford to stay the number one selling domestic truck in America. This kit was built sometime in '98 over a short stay at home vacation week and was yet another quick easy build to get out of a modeling slump in between projects. I started with the AMT/ERTL Snapfast Plus kit, found a way to give the truck a slight suspension lift, which was interesting because this is a promo style kit that featured all the chassis and suspension details molded in on one slab of plastic. I didn't like the choice of wheels/tires in the kit, so I replaced them with a set from the Revell '97 Ford F-150 XLT Flareside kit instead. Other than those changes, the kit is box stock. Thanks for looking.

2024-03-26 19.01.58.jpg

2024-03-26 19.03.13.jpg

2024-03-26 19.03.53.jpg

2024-03-26 19.06.18.jpg

2024-03-26 19.04.56.jpg

• Like 8

It's weird how different these were in 1996, while today, after seeing millions of them, they just look like a regular old pickup truck. 

Very nice work on this one. I have to admit the AMT snap kits was the one tenth generation F-150 I have never built. Might need to check eBay now.

Fantastic build, James!  I don't know if I've ever seen one of these snappers posted before.   Nice job on the lift and wheel/tire swap, it looks so much better than the low ride height this kit has otherwise.  Thanks for sharing this, as it gives me some inspiration to dig mine out from deep within the stash and take a crack at it.

• Like 1