Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fifty shades of ... white. Chevrolet Bombay Ivory, that is.

Maybe this has been answered before, but if so, I can't find it.  

I've become fond of Tamiya spray lacquers, so I'm hoping I can stick with that.  I was gifted an AMT 1957 Cameo some years ago and started working on it recently.   I'd like to build it in Bombay White Ivory, which to my eye doesn't look like "pure white" at all (comparing this picture - note the body paint as compared to the whitewalls).   Is Tamiya TS-7 "Racing White" too yellow?   Other options?  

I recognize that colors on the screen can be much more subjective than in person, but was hoping someone had already been down this path and could share their experiences.  

4593.jpg

1957Colors.jpg

3450dde99f4bbc8c229c64a8843b29f9.jpg

Edited by Jonathan

You are calling it...Bombay White, but the chart states Bombay Ivory, which in turn is definitely an Ivory. The truck pictured looks white to me, but if you want the Ivory, the Tamiya....looks close...but unknown until sprayed. Primer choice will effect the final color as well. Do some testing, it's always a reference for later use if not exactly what you want.

Edited by 64SS350

Tamiya Racing White is closer to what you see in this example.

If you have an airbrush and want to experiment, you can buy the bottled LP series Tamiya Lacquers (White, Racing White) and mix them together to tone down the brightness of the white and incorporate some of the ivory shades for a final colour more in between the two. 

Vintage reference paint chips can change colour over time, and lighting/camera will skew the colour of photographed subjects. 

https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/tamiya-color-lacquer-10ml/lacquer-lp-2-white/10ml-bottle/

https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/tamiya-color-lacquer-10ml/lacquer-lp-39-racing-white/10ml-bottle/

• Like 1

Tamiya Racing White sort of looks like Vanella Ice Cream or sort of an off white, don't know if that would give you the color you're after.  The TS-26 Pure White looks much like the Chevrolet Commercia Fleet White. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, gman said:

Tamiya Racing White is closer to what you see in this example.

If you have an airbrush and want to experiment, you can buy the bottled LP series Tamiya Lacquers (White, Racing White) and mix them together to tone down the brightness of the white and incorporate some of the ivory shades for a final colour more in between the two. 

Vintage reference paint chips can change colour over time, and lighting/camera will skew the colour of photographed subjects. 

https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/tamiya-color-lacquer-10ml/lacquer-lp-2-white/10ml-bottle/

https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/tamiya-color-lacquer-10ml/lacquer-lp-39-racing-white/10ml-bottle/

Comparing the paint to the whitewalls on that first image really makes the paint look more creamy white.  That's helpful, I think.  (Again, knowing colors on screen may look different than in real life.)  I kind of feel like colors probably were not as brilliant then as they can be now.

----

45 minutes ago, espo said:

Tamiya Racing White sort of looks like Vanella Ice Cream or sort of an off white, don't know if that would give you the color you're after.  The TS-26 Pure White looks much like the Chevrolet Commercia Fleet White. 

A while back - I did experiment once with Tamiya Insignia White, followed by one thinish coat of Pure White and ended up with this (seen here on a yet-to-be finished '57 Chevy).  It looks a tad gray to me, but I think somewhere between Racing White and whatever this is may be what I'm after.    I'd kind of forgotten that I'd started this kit.  (good grief!)

2023-08-01-21-02-43-907_orig.jpeg

----

9 hours ago, 64SS350 said:

You are calling it...Bombay White, but the chart states Bombay Ivory, which in turn is definitely an Ivory. The truck pictured looks white to me, but if you want the Ivory, the Tamiya....looks close...but unknown until sprayed. Primer choice will effect the final color as well. Do some testing, it's always a reference for later use if not exactly what you want.

Thanks for pointing out my typo.  And you make a good point, testing some spoons or the like for future reference.

Edited by Jonathan

19 hours ago, Jonathan said:

Comparing the paint to the whitewalls on that first image really makes the paint look more creamy white.  That's helpful, I think.  (Again, knowing colors on screen may look different than in real life.)  I kind of feel like colors probably were not as brilliant then as they can be now.

----

A while back - I did experiment once with Tamiya Insignia White, followed by one thinish coat of Pure White and ended up with this (seen here on a yet-to-be finished '57 Chevy).  It looks a tad gray to me, but I think somewhere between Racing White and whatever this is may be what I'm after.    I'd kind of forgotten that I'd started this kit.  (good grief!)

2023-08-01-21-02-43-907_orig.jpeg

----

Thanks for pointing out my typo.  And you make a good point, testing some spoons or the like for future reference.

Hi Johnathan, I see what you mean about the roof on the '57 Chevy. I'll share a picture of a couple of builds with the color I mentioned to use as a comparison. I have used Tamiya White Primer as a base in both cases.  

'57 Chevy PU-1.jpg

IMG_2167.jpg

Jonathan, I'm currently building a 55 Cameo and am using Tamiya TS-26 Pure White. This is a picture of my mockup. I have only sprayed the hood and the truck bed not the cab. It might help you see the difference between the styrene and the paint. I did not use any primer, nor clear. I would caution that the paint is very thin and would advise light coats. I thought I was being careful, but started getting a little build up in certain areas. Hope this helps a little. Good luck.55ChevyCameoWIP.jpg.e25598e29e7a4524c80a5776f729b7ef.jpg

Bear in mind that what you see in a photo is going to be affected by the lighting, the sensitivity of the film (or the sensor), whatever tweaking the photographer does, and the settings of your monitor.  Scanning a photograph adds more variations, and even more if it's been scanned from a page in a book or magazine.  It's basically a game of telephone, and you can have a dozen photos of the same truck, and each will look different.  Unless you have an original Chevy Cameo you can compare a swatch with,  there's going to be some guesswork, and at some point you're just going to have to go "Eh, close enough"

TS-7 does have a slight yellow tinge compared to Tamiya's pure white, though not quite as much as say, Humbrol Ivory.  As was mentioned by others, some whites will yellow with age.  Humbrol's white is really bad for that, and will probably give you a darker ivory than you really want.

Thanks all - I went TS-7 Racing White.  It does look a bit buttery :) - ok, more ivory.  But, I think the color is probably representative of the era.  I'll post pictures in a bit. 

More to come ...

Posted (edited)

Well ...

Here is Tamiya TS-7 Racing White over Tamiya White primer:

2024-04-14-18-14-48-908_orig.jpeg

Looks more "yellow" or "cream" under indoor lighting.  I guess I'll run with it and start a build thread....

Edited by Jonathan
  • Like 1