Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fantastic restoration.  I just got to Birmingham AL today for the Mustang 60th anniversary.  The show should be great with hundreds of classic Mustangs and a lot of newer ones on the track.

• Like 1

Thank you guys. It was years in the making. Dave the owner was a ford parts guy for over 40 years and every part is nos parts. He has been getting parts for 40 years. It was cool to pull out a new part out of a ford box. And the parts fit! No aftermarket parts on this car. All factory ford. The engine is a 428

• Like 2

16 hours ago, vamach1 said:

Fantastic restoration.  I just got to Birmingham AL today for the Mustang 60th anniversary.  The show should be great with hundreds of classic Mustangs and a lot of newer ones on the track.

Wish I was there. I've been to the 30th 35th 40th 45th 50th but missed the 55th (my Pop got sick) and now missing the 60th (saving to buy a house). Have fun!!!!!! 

• Like 2

My modeling has been lacking because of these restorations. A 1967 mustang GT is next. I found a 1967 390, 4 speed, fastback , disk brake, 9 inch rear for a friend for $3000. I told the people that it was worth a lot more, but the wife said give me $3000 and get it out of here. So I said … ok. So since I have 7 cars already, I gave it to a friend for the same amount. So another restoration begins. Before the yellow 1968 mustang , I restored this 1967 Camaro. It was at hot August nights last year. 

IMG_6890.jpeg

IMG_6889.jpeg

IMG_6888.jpeg

• Like 4

Hi Bruce!

It comes as no surprise that your 1/1 projects are as impresive as your models. Bravo!

I recently worked on a 1/1  '68 fastback that a friend is restoring, and I envy you to be able to use NOS parts. The fit of some repro components leaves a lot to be desired. Oh well... 

Keep at it!

CT 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Bruce!

It comes as no surprise that your 1/1 projects are as impresive as your models. Bravo!

I recently worked on a 1/1  '68 fastback that a friend is restoring, and I envy you to be able to use NOS parts. The fit of some repro components leaves a lot to be desired. Oh well... 

Keep at it!

CT 

Thank you Claude. It’s funny I’ve been restoring cars my whole life and am now just beginning to get a little tired of it. Still love them but getting a little tired. My dad said I would get tired of them one day. Well that was 35 years ago but he was right. Started doing bodywork at my dad’s shop in 1969.i remember sitting in a brand new 1969 boss 302 that was in the shop. Loved that car. Bought a 1970 boss 302 in 1973 for next to nothing because of the oil crisis. $2300.  Boy did I get in trouble for that one. At 15 I had enough money to buy a car. Had $2500 saved since I was 10.  Went to a place that sold used corvettes named Bob Shiroes. My friends older brother worked there. He called me and said there is a boss 302 in the back for $2300. So i  rode my bike down there and bought it , drove it home , no license, no insurance, nothing. Boy was my dad mad. I was grounded for 6 months but had the cleanest car ever. 6 months of detailing that car!LOL

• Like 1

I had a '68 Bullitt car I bought in 1980, factory 390 4-speed, 3.90 Detroit Locker rear. I tamed it down with a 351 and a C4, but it was still wicked fast. I sold it in 1984 to a local Ford guy that restored it.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Brudda said:

Thank you Claude. It’s funny I’ve been restoring cars my whole life and am now just beginning to get a little tired of it. Still love them but getting a little tired. My dad said I would get tired of them one day. Well that was 35 years ago but he was right. Started doing bodywork at my dad’s shop in 1969.i remember sitting in a brand new 1969 boss 302 that was in the shop. Loved that car. Bought a 1970 boss 302 in 1973 for next to nothing because of the oil crisis. $2300.  Boy did I get in trouble for that one. At 15 I had enough money to buy a car. Had $2500 saved since I was 10.  Went to a place that sold used corvettes named Bob Shiroes. My friends older brother worked there. He called me and said there is a boss 302 in the back for $2300. So i  rode my bike down there and bought it , drove it home , no license, no insurance, nothing. Boy was my dad mad. I was grounded for 6 months but had the cleanest car ever. 6 months of detailing that car!LOL

Hi Bruce!

In 1976, a young dad wanted to trade his mint 70 Boss 302 for my freshly customized 73 Ranchero (my fourth restored car). He wanted 1000$ on top of my car. My dad would not lend me the money, rightfully guessing I would not drive the Boss during our harsh winters, and therefore would need a beater for the winter. And the poor thing probably would not start at minus 30, and that he would have to drive me to work at my job as a radio morning man at 5 am all too often.

Plus the insurance would kill me with a monster like the Boss. 

Father knows best, but... Talk about a sore memory LOL! 

CT 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Bruce!

In 1976, a young dad wanted to trade his mint 70 Boss 302 for my freshly customized 73 Ranchero (my fourth restored car). He wanted 1000$ on top of my car. My dad would not lend me the money, rightfully guessing I would not drive the Boss during our harsh winters, and therefore would need a beater for the winter. And the poor thing probably would not start at minus 30, and that he would have to drive me to work at my job as a radio morning man at 5 am all too often.

Plus the insurance would kill me with a monster like the Boss. 

Father knows best, but... Talk about a sore memory LOL! 

CT 

Yes Claude, the insurance was very expensive. It was $115 a month. Half the cost of the car for a year. I was working in the shop and making around $340 a week, since I lived at home, I paid rent and paid the insurance. My dad let me eat for free . That had to be a lot!LOL. When I graduated college, I moved out and sold the boss. Made a $500 on her. Bought a capri. Put a suspension on her and minilites. That was a cool car also, but not a boss. It did lower my insurance and gas bills. 

10 hours ago, Brudda said:

Yes Claude, the insurance was very expensive. It was $115 a month. Half the cost of the car for a year. I was working in the shop and making around $340 a week, since I lived at home, I paid rent and paid the insurance. My dad let me eat for free . That had to be a lot!LOL. When I graduated college, I moved out and sold the boss. Made a $500 on her. Bought a capri. Put a suspension on her and minilites. That was a cool car also, but not a boss. It did lower my insurance and gas bills. 

Hi Bruce!

Well, I also had a 78 Capri that I bought brand new when I got married.. It was a black & gold edition, A blast to drive!

CT

• Like 1